PDA

View Full Version : Better diving tips

deepdiver47
08-30-2007, 08:14
I have a couple of attachments that I have had that I want to share with you.

1) 7 Secrets to better diving: There are some nice techniques on how to save air in this one

2) Breathing Heavy: Nice tips on exercise and technique

Just so that you know there is some repetition between these two so be aware. Rule #3 The "hold your breath" technique alone has saved me air and needs to be tried.

Enjoy, Deep

creggur
08-30-2007, 08:39
I've already checked out the 7diving.pdf. Good stuff!! Thanks for the link Deep!!

deepdiver47
08-30-2007, 08:57
I put this up there just for you!

creggur
08-30-2007, 09:17
I haven't used #3 in a diving situation yet, but have practiced it snorkeling. Not that hard once you get past the natural tendancy to close your throat instead of using your chest to hold the breath in.

It makes sense that this gives your body more time to take full advantage of the O2 on the inhalation cycle..

thesmoothdome
08-30-2007, 09:25
Can't open the files. :(

deepdiver47
08-30-2007, 11:23
it must be Saints thing :)

rubberduck
08-30-2007, 11:44
Good links. Thanks

Kingpatzer
08-30-2007, 11:48
#3 at depth can lead to CO2 blackout, no?

deepdiver47
08-30-2007, 12:36
Define at depth? I use this method for all of my diving as I stay above 100 ft (Nitrox mostly)

No it doesn't lead to any blackout what so ever, remember your diaphragm is NOT closed that is what you have to remember. There is no pressure build up in the lungs as would be if you close your diaphragm.

Breath in but do not shut your diaphragm (adams apple). Unless you are doing this it becomes easy to short breath. In fact, I'll bet that most people are short breathing and don't even know it.

scubasamurai
08-30-2007, 14:07
so interesting tips, but the best is to relax and be in shape to get the maxium air out of your tanks. also themore exp diver you are the more time you get out of your tanks., personally skip breathing or breath holding not a big fan and lots of people i chatted with ended up with massive headaches, almost borderline dcs maybe, so i don;t do it or recomend it. but your body and time

Kingpatzer
08-30-2007, 14:08
Breath in but do not shut your diaphragm (adams apple).

I'm a little reluctant to take medical advice from someone who doesn't know basic anatomy . . . your diaphram is a bit further south than the adam's apple :)

Carbon dioxide retention become a problem at increased gas densities. There have been many studies showing that as depth increases while breathing air, the high oxygen and increased gas density slows the rate at which we breathe and thereby the rate at which we eliminate carbon dioxide. This will raise the blood levels of carbon dioxide. The raised level of CO2 in the blood can lead to black-out caused by CO2 toxicity, or hypercapnia.

Purposefully slowing your breathing and/or preventing exhalation can complicate the issue.

Skip breathing -- breathing in and retaining air -- has been correllated to CO2 retention problems.

That you've never had a problem is hardly, btw, a conclusive controlled study.

deepdiver47
08-30-2007, 16:43
Skip breathing is holding your breath, that is not what they are suggesting is it? Effective scuba breathing is all about carbon dioxide management.

I never said that it was a conclusive study nor did I provide any data as such. The tips come from I would consider a reliable source(s). You can choose to use them or not as in any comments/opinions that you see on this or any board.

This much I know for certain, it has helped me in a quantitative way in saving air. I have been doing this manner of breathing for quite some time now without any issues at all. As in anything, your YMMV.

plot
09-01-2007, 12:04
that breathing technique makes a whole lot of sense... why has nobody ever told this to me before?

WaScubaDude
09-18-2007, 03:13
that breathing technique makes a whole lot of sense... why has nobody ever told this to me before?

I don't know why there is not more focus on this in basic OW cert. I guess they figure new divers have plenty else to think about. #3 is contraversial and you will likely never hear it from a practicing instructor. All the suggestions I think are good. You definately do not want to hold your breath. I suggest to divers to try to breathe with loooong slooooow inhale and loooong slooooow exhale. As though you are trying to relax yourself. And you will. And your tank will last longer. And there will be peace.

coralcrazed
09-18-2007, 10:33
I'm not sure of #3 also but thank you for posting this I'm a bit of a hover myself :)

DZorn00
09-20-2007, 07:34
Thanks for the links, bit of a heavy breather here so it is good info....

liuk3
09-20-2007, 15:00
Thanks for the helpful links!

WaScubaDude
09-20-2007, 15:27
Hey All,
There is a great article on the scubadiving magazine web site. In fact there are a bunch of great training articles. I will attempt to post the link here. If it doesn't get you right to the page just look under "training" on the web site.
http://www.scubadiving.com/training/basicskills/18_ways_to_use_less_air
Cheers,
Sean

diverdad
09-20-2007, 23:38
I have read this article before but it is still a good read (a refresher course for the mind).

BoomerNJ
10-24-2007, 09:46
Good stuff, thanks!! I am definitely a hoover, but I'm still a noob so that's part of the reason...