PDA

View Full Version : Air Integrated vs. VR3 HD Delta P

GMDGeek
10-20-2009, 17:52
I am seriously considering purchasing the VR3 HD Delta P however would like to get feed back on it from current users as well as find out more on what other divers think about lack of Air Integration ...

A friend that is diving with me pretty much condemned it because it lacks the integration. I don't see it as an issue. However, since I am still very new to the world of Scuba I would greatly appreciate input.

Thanks,
Gerry

nrembis
10-20-2009, 18:00
I wouldn't condemn a computer based on it not being air integrated...if one cannot calculate there SAC rate for proper air management a computer with air integration is useless anyways. The computer does not show you the volume of air left in your tank

GMDGeek
10-20-2009, 18:03
Pretty much my thoughts as well. No matter what computer I end up with I will ALWAYS have a set of Analog gauges AND a dive watch.

nrembis
10-20-2009, 18:10
Computers are nice and sure help to maximize your NDL. But don't discount one because it's not air integrated....that VR3 you mention is a nice computer, way more than what I need.

Tassie Diver
10-20-2009, 18:48
Air integration is fine as far as it goes, but lack of it is not a reason to condemn a computer.

On the VR3 website, it mentions a high-pressure integration kit, but I can't find any more details. So maybe VR3 does offer integration? From memory, it was via a hard cable, not wireless??

If you're not requiring helium mixes, have a look at the Zeagle N2Ition 3/Dive Rite Trio. Same computer, different badge. I have one and find it great for use.

Tekdivr
10-20-2009, 20:06
Since you have apparently started diving recently I would suggest you scale back on your first computer. You can always use it as a back up down the road, if you indeed start diving more than three gasses and using helium. The amount of time it will take you to get to that point there will be a better, more reasonable solution out there. Not trying to take the wind out of your sails but it seems like ovekill at this point. The dive rite computer should take you all the way to helium and at that point upgrade. :smiley20:

GMDGeek
10-20-2009, 20:25
Originally I had considered going with a scaled down, wireless PC however over the next year I have mapped out getting my Dive Master Certification as I plan on hopefully making a trip to Nova Scotia to photography an underwater city. I also plan on multiple wreck dives in the the Philippines and other areas. I really want to make sure I invest in a PC that will see me through from Point A to Z. And the VR3 seems to fit the bill.

The only other one that looked good to me is the Aeris Elite T3 Nitrox Dive Computer.

Still sorting through all the options out there.

clavicl3
10-20-2009, 21:41
Man with a plan... Since you already have all this planned, no point buying a entry level computer imo. Go with what will last you and what you will be happy with.

TommyB
10-21-2009, 00:48
Originally I had considered going with a scaled down, wireless PC however over the next year I have mapped out getting my Dive Master Certification as I plan on hopefully making a trip to Nova Scotia to photography an underwater city. I also plan on multiple wreck dives in the the Philippines and other areas. I really want to make sure I invest in a PC that will see me through from Point A to Z. And the VR3 seems to fit the bill.

The only other one that looked good to me is the Aeris Elite T3 Nitrox Dive Computer.

Have a look at the X1. Most of the people I dive with and or know are selling their VR3's to purchase the X1.
Liquivision (http://liquivision.com/)
Really small
http://liquivision.com/img/global/bg_tout_x1.png
What I like about it is that is uses Vplanner live to do all the dive planning. That and the fonts make it so that it's readable no matter how old you are:smiley32:

No buttons to push, it's always lit up , etc...

Deco software that runs the unit
V-Planner Live VPM-B, VPM-B/E dive deco computer firmware (http://www.hhssoftware.com/v-planner-live/index.html)

For an idea of how small the unit is
http://www.hhssoftware.com/images/X1_onwrist.jpg

Here's what the dive log looks like when you download it
(see attached)

crandf
10-21-2009, 01:43
That font size is readable? I have my doubts....

clavicl3
10-21-2009, 01:57
looks like you'd have to put it real close.

TommyB
10-21-2009, 02:11

Ok.. and?
When people can read it 8 / 9 feet away in a cave system, I'd say that it is readable..Just fyi, the font is bigger on the X1 then the VR3..
But as you mentioned, you have your doubts-:smilie40:

Tassie Diver
10-21-2009, 03:07
Ummm, looks bigger underwater as well... diving fisics 101...

medicdiver
10-21-2009, 17:33

From personal experience on dives down to 170' with 10' of visibility, I could see my buddy's x1, who was 5-7 feet away, better then my own computer on my wrist. It is very easy to read underwater. I plan on saving my cash for this computer.

in_cavediver
10-21-2009, 19:15
I have got to be honest - I own the VR3 (actually 2, one for me, one for the wife). I like it but I do dives where having a decompression computer is quite nice. For your average recreational diver, it is gross overkill. For starting tec divers, you'll use tables. Even for most wreck dives, I could use tables just fine. Its the caves that had odd and long profiles where I like the VR3.

I would strongly suggest looking at a basic Nitrox computer now and plan for the VR3 later. Once you 'need' the VR3, you also need a backup and the old computer would work just fine for that. (think of it as a feature rich bottom timer). Take the extra money you save now and put it toward diving. (the VR3 is well over $1000 vs a couple hundred for a nitrox computer)

Tekdivr
10-21-2009, 20:00
I have got to be honest - I own the VR3 (actually 2, one for me, one for the wife). I like it but I do dives where having a decompression computer is quite nice. For your average recreational diver, it is gross overkill. For starting tec divers, you'll use tables. Even for most wreck dives, I could use tables just fine. Its the caves that had odd and long profiles where I like the VR3.

I would strongly suggest looking at a basic Nitrox computer now and plan for the VR3 later. Once you 'need' the VR3, you also need a backup and the old computer would work just fine for that. (think of it as a feature rich bottom timer). Take the extra money you save now and put it toward diving. (the VR3 is well over $1000 vs a couple hundred for a nitrox computer)

That was my point exactly. Until you arrive at a point where you're using helium or more than three gas mixes, there's no reason to drop this kind of coin on a dive computer. It's kind of like buying a Ferrari as your first car. Learn how to drive in the Ford Focus and branch off from there. :smiley20:

crandf
10-21-2009, 20:17
Perhaps what I should have stated more clearly. When the claim is that "it's readable no matter how old you are", I doubt this is true for the smaller font on the screen. But I do like the fact that the font shapes are shaped like those on your PC screen rather than those on most digital watches.

GMDGeek
10-21-2009, 20:43
X1 Looks pretty cool and looks like it is getting some solid testing but its almost $500 more then what I had looked at and I'm still waiting to hear how well it holds up after 6 months to a year. But it does look solid and I actually like the display.

Thanks everyone for their input.

Gerry

GMDGeek
10-22-2009, 07:44
I thought that some of you would like to know the response I received from VR3 Tech Support when I emailed them about some of threads I read where they might support integrated air:

"We currently have no plans to integrate the VR3 as air integrated. Sorry.

Regards, Al

Al Wright
VR Technology Support Team"

TommyB
10-22-2009, 09:38
I thought that some of you would like to know the response I received from VR3 Tech Support when I emailed them about some of threads I read where they might support integrated air:

"We currently have no plans to integrate the VR3 as air integrated. Sorry.

Regards, Al

Al Wright
VR Technology Support Team"

From the X1 owners forums

We are considering bringing out an air integration attachment to the X1. However, given the high problem rate in RF transmitters, we were considering ultrasonic transmission. This would eliminate problems caused by EM interference from HID lights or other electrical equipment.

Obvious pros/cons:

CONS
- Transmitter would need to be recharged occasionally, as ultrasound transmission takes more energy than RF
- Possible interference with other ultrasonic communication devices?

PROS
Communication would be extremely reliable
Multiple transmitters would still be possible

Any other pros/cons?

Eric Fattah
Liquivision Products

Scuba Pete
10-22-2009, 13:38
I think the cable that people where talking about with the VR3 is for tieing into your rebreather. I would also suggest not getting the VR3 until you need it. Thats a lot of dough that can be spent somewhere else.

Blue_Water
10-22-2009, 17:06
X1 any day of the week, I sold both my VR3 bricks on Ebay after the second dive with the X1.

When you take into account the X1 comes fully loaded with everything where the brick you have to buy stupid pin numbers to unlock stuff, by the time you have everything turned on the brick is more expensive than the X1.

Flatliner
10-22-2009, 17:14
I would echo the point that when you NEED a computer at that level you also NEED a second computer for back up. Get the less expensive back up now and spend the money elsewhere.

Just my 2psi

clavicl3
10-22-2009, 17:59
X1 any day of the week, I sold both my VR3 bricks on Ebay after the second dive with the X1.

When you take into account the X1 comes fully loaded with everything where the brick you have to buy stupid pin numbers to unlock stuff, by the time you have everything turned on the brick is more expensive than the X1.

you have to buy pin numbers to unlock stuff on a computer? does that mean the thing comes fully featured and just restrictions built in? I'm surprised that flies well at all with people. I wouldn't doubt if someone has found ways to bypass the restrictions already.

Blue_Water
10-23-2009, 02:30

you have to buy pin numbers to unlock stuff on a computer? does that mean the thing comes fully featured and just restrictions built in?
Yes that is correct and other than the size of the VR3 one of the main reasons for selling and going to the X1.

I'm surprised that flies well at all with people. I wouldn't doubt if someone has found ways to bypass the restrictions already.There is no way round them, each VR3 serial number is linked back to its PIN numbers, you have to purchase the Pins from DeltaP to unlock any additional items.

You can buy them fully unlocked but you are then going to paying more than say an X1 or Shearwater.

TommyB
10-23-2009, 10:46
Heres a good pic of the size differences

newjersey diver55
10-23-2009, 11:41
I have a new VR3 and I love it. The only pin I had to buy was to get the color screen feature activated. It had a three dive trial mode before it switched to black and white.
The VR3 is very user friendly and you can store up to ten differant gases in it.
I am not tech. savy and understood how to use the VR3 in about one hour, I have been using it for my last 24 dives and I love it.

newjersey diver55
10-23-2009, 11:51
also a nice feature with the VR3 is the battery. It is a double a battery that you can easily access and replace anytime you are out of the water. It has a very clear battery life symbol on the display so you always know if it is low or not. You can just keep an extra battery in your dive kit so you never have an issue.
The only integration feature on the computer is for hooking it up to a rebreather. You cannot air integrate the VR3. I just have a seperate pressure guage for my back gas, and guages on my individual stage bottles.

paintsnow
10-23-2009, 14:00
The VR3 is an amazing computer, and its great for deco and mixed gas, but it cant even begin to compare to the X1.

While the AA batteries are nice, compared to say, odd sized lithium button cells, the rechargeable battery of the X1 is even nicer. The battery lasts extremely long.

Also with the X1, there are no holes in the case, nothing to open up. You dont have to worry about making sure the o-ring is clean before you insert the battery to avoid flooding your 1000+ dollar computer. There are no buttons that penetrate the case, you just tap the case. I know for a fact that the VR3 buttons can stick. Its not terrible difficult to clean them out, but why bother?

The text may appear small, but my buddies can read my X1 from a good distance, and i can read theirs, better than the Oceanic VT3 i use for a backup.

nrembis
10-23-2009, 14:08
Heres a good pic of the size differences

man, that screen on the X1 sure stands out compared to the others, ive never seen them all side by side like that

mm_dm
10-23-2009, 15:00

Have a look at the X1. Most of the people I dive with and or know are selling their VR3's to purchase the X1.
Liquivision (http://liquivision.com/)
Really small
http://liquivision.com/img/global/bg_tout_x1.png
What I like about it is that is uses Vplanner live to do all the dive planning. That and the fonts make it so that it's readable no matter how old you are:smiley32:

No buttons to push, it's always lit up , etc...

Deco software that runs the unit
V-Planner Live VPM-B, VPM-B/E dive deco computer firmware (http://www.hhssoftware.com/v-planner-live/index.html)

For an idea of how small the unit is
http://www.hhssoftware.com/images/X1_onwrist.jpg

Here's what the dive log looks like when you download it
(see attached)

dammit Tommy, now I gotta have one :smiley19:

in_cavediver
10-23-2009, 16:32
There is one last consideration for those using the computers to the level they are intended - that is expierence with the relevant deco models.

I know my body agrees with the VR3's model. I don't know how it feels about the X1 or the Pursuit. Given that, I don't really want to change computers simply for the sake of it. If I changed computers/models, I'd have to build that level of expierence back up for the dives I do with the new model.

Why would I pay money to do that? You know, the ain't broke, don't fix it mentality.

TommyB
10-23-2009, 18:31
There is one last consideration for those using the computers to the level they are intended - that is expierence with the relevant deco models.

I know my body agrees with the VR3's model. I don't know how it feels about the X1 or the Pursuit. Given that, I don't really want to change computers simply for the sake of it. If I changed computers/models, I'd have to build that level of expierence back up for the dives I do with the new model.

Why would I pay money to do that? You know, the ain't broke, don't fix it mentality.

You can load
Multiple decompression algorithms available via third-party software packages (VPM-B, VPM-B/E, VPM-FBO and Buhlmann-GF) into the X1

Vr3 uses the Bühlmann decompression model correct? or version of that model if not mistaken? Not trying to get you to buy one, just wondering about the comment about changing models.

Blue_Water
10-23-2009, 18:53

How did you go the brick was going to make you feel warm and fuzzy before you dived it ? Your statment is a little contradicting.

Looking at the survery results from the X1 they are pumping out a serious amount of dives on VPM. V-Planner Live dive database (http://www.hhssoftware.com/v-planner-live/database.html)

Does not look to be many cases of problems

GMDGeek
10-23-2009, 23:20
Ok I decided to hold off on an advance DC and am going with an Aeries Elite T3 for the time being and will save for the X1 ... yes after reading up on it, reading forum reviews and actually just now getting off the phone with someone that uses it I am pretty much sold on it and I'll tell you why.

I track down hackers for a living so I understand many operating systems and PC models ... and after all said and done - the X1 is like LINUX. Sure its made, sold, and supported by one company BUT they are also open and wise enough to allow for other apps / programs to interface with it. And they aren't hiding anything from you. No PIN fees, not upgrades to sell you to make it even better. The X1 hits the water running and I'm sold.

paintsnow
10-24-2009, 01:33
If you can find an Oceanic VT3, it is the same computer, just different branding, so if there is a better deal on one, or you dont mind used ect. it is the same unit, just different branding.

Also, i just noticed that Shearwater released a new dive computer with a color OLED screen. So it stays lit up like the X1, but is full color, and they set it up to show everything in green when its normal, and then info starts going yellow and red if its not normal, such as above your deco ceiling or using 100% O2 at 160 ft.

It looks amazing, but its still not running VPM. I dont regret my X1 for a second, but if liquivision comes out with a color OLED, i may be looking to upgrade.

in_cavediver
10-24-2009, 07:11

How did you go the brick was going to make you feel warm and fuzzy before you dived it ? Your statment is a little contradicting.

Looking at the survery results from the X1 they are pumping out a serious amount of dives on VPM. V-Planner Live dive database (http://www.hhssoftware.com/v-planner-live/database.html)

Does not look to be many cases of problems

Frankly - I didn't know at the time. I have had one since 2002 so its those 7 years of expierence with it that I now have. Personally, I don't want to change.

If starting from scratch today - I'd look at all of the computers. I just don't understand the switching from what works idea that I have heard about. IE, selling the VR3 for the X1 etc (most of the people I know who had VR3's and went to something else did it with rebreathers and integrated electronics)

Vegas
10-28-2009, 22:24
Here's my little dive computer adventure story....

chapter 1

After learning with all analog gauges,
I did quite a bit of research and I purchased my first dive computer,
an Aeris Atmos AI.

IMO It was great for recreational diving - did everything I wanted it to do, provided me all the info I needed. The Air integration was handy, and it was quite reliable -- well except for the "battery thing"... see this link:
http://forum.scubatoys.com/computers-gauges/16059-aeris-atmos-ii-blinking-battery-icon.html
(I had the blinking-low-battery-icon issue too) but I really did like the computer a lot.

Next, in short, I developed a bit of a fascination with the concept of "redundant gear" (guess you can see where this journey is headed - lol!),
so I picked up a Oceanic VEO200 off of Ebay for $150 and wore it just as back-up to my Aeris

I finally parted with the Aeris when I entered a world with multiple gasses ...lol

I started my journey to the Dark Side (lol!) with a VT3 (and used the VEO in gauge mode as back-up)
- not terrible, but (and this is strictly my opinion of course, just from my experience)
....the VT3 is simply a recreational dive computer on steroids...not really much for tech. That's not to say that I didn't use it for tech...in fact, I even bought a second one and used them both for a while.

....There are some things seriously lacking with this though. The gas-switching is like a finely choreographed ballet...press, wait, press, hold, press, press, hold wait...holey moley!...and if you screw it up? you have to start over. *sigh*
Plus (again, IMO) only being able to see your next ceiling, rather than your entire obligation, is just dumb. I was also disappointed to find that I couldn't adjust the last stop depth either. :P

....and there's this other thing... air breaks ...
.... VT3's do some WEIRD stuff with air breaks.
And THIS is the thing that made me say - WTF?? - I am done with these!
---this was my experience ---
I saw, not one, but both (yes BOTH) of my VT3's suddenly drop up to 14 minutes of deco when switching from O2 to Air (yes TO AIR, not the other way around). I was floored. I tried to reproduce the effect and - YES - I was able to get my VT3's (yes, BOTH of them) to drop between ten and 14 minutes of deco suddenly, when switching from O2 to air, on three consecutive dives. I'm serious. One was giving me 13 minutes at 10' remaining as I sucked away on my O2...switched for my air break...and the thing CLEARED. <snap fingers> Just like that.

Now I don't know if it just wasn't giving credit for the O2, and then at the switch suddenly said "Oh, yea! hey! you got some credit here!" ....or if it's just a glitch....but who the hell wants to be sitting in the water guessing at something like that? Really. I discussed this with my technical instructor and we agreed that it seemed this computer was calculating decompression on "spit and pixie dust".

In summary, my opinion of the VT3 is that it's a great RECREATIONAL dive computer. If you have a spouse or buddy you want to keep an eye on their air - get it - the buddy check is perfect for you. If you plan to do some Advanced Nitrox diving and extend your bottom times that way without going into deco....this could really be great for that too. But if you are thinking of spending the money on this computer for a future in tech - I think there are better choices.

on to chapter 2....

Vegas
10-28-2009, 23:29
Chapter 2
(If your still reading, either you are as obsessed with researching dive computers as I was, or, face it, there's just something *wrong* with you - lol)

So...I started combing the web again....
I lusted after the X-1...but I had to face facts, it was just out of my price range.
... and in my searching I noticed something -- You almost NEVER see used X-1's for sale on-line. People seem to get very attached to these things.
What I DID find was dozens of VR3's for sale. Ebay. the Deco Stop.
S.-Board, Everywhere. I made a decision.

I sold my VT3's without guilt or regret,
and picked apart every VR3 listing I could find.
I studied the features available, mono, color, VPM, download cable, nitrox, helium, big graphics, etc. .... each one with a PIN to pay for ... unless you're buying it used. :) ...but to find the exact combination I wanted, for the price I was able to pay, was quite a chore - but persistence paid off!

I bought my first one, and feared its arrival. From all I'd read I was truly afraid that I was going to hate it.
When it arrived I opened the box and thought, "hell, if anyone ever tries to mug me underwater, all I have to do is clonk him on the head with this monster, and he'll never swim again!". *sigh* I picked up the manual - OMG, are you kidding me? Let's just say (IMO) to call it a "manual" is to use the term rather loosely.

....Then I turned it on...and was happily surprised! After a few false starts, and a bit of swearing when, with a single button push, I accidentally erased everything I'd spent an hour programming into it (OK, I admit it...I did that TWICE :bonk:) I finally had a grip on the thing.

I found that it programs like a cell-phone ... much easier than I had expected. I found it pretty easy to use, and compared to the VT3's, it was truly a joy to dive with. There were just so many things that were such a huge improvement over the VT3 I couldn't even list them all.
I found that I liked it SO much I bought a second one! (also purchased used, on-line)

Now, I have to say, if you are attached to downloading your dives onto your PC then the VR3 just might PISS YOU OFF to no end. The software is Awful....but of course to truly appreciate how awful the software is, you have to be one of the estimated 10% or less of VR3 owners that actually get it to work before they say "Screw it!" and give up. --- (don't call me. I can't help you with this one, sorry.)

Aside from this, though, I really did love them. Most of my diving is done in a lake right at 1000' above sea level, and it took me a little while to figure out that I could get V-planner to cooperate and come in close to what my VR3's were actually going to give me, but I had to set V-planner at +5, and the longer or deeper the dive, the more I had to falsely bump up the elevation to create (for V-planner anyway) VERY conservative tables that might get me out of the water without bending the VR3.

...I dove them and dove them - and as attached to them as I had gotten, I tried to not lose sight of I REALLY wanted...
and then the day came! I realized that I had enough saved that if I sold
one of my VR3's I could do it! I could really do it! I could buy a LIQUIVISION!!

...and I haven't looked back.
This is my opinion....
The X-1 is an absolute hunk of gold. Nothing compares.
The photos above truly don't do it justice. Not even close.
I type my dive into V-planner (back at the +3 I prefer, and the elevation
set accurately now) and if I execute the dive as I've planned it, the planned deco is the deco it gives me. period.
I have ZERO regrets paying full price for this magnificent little device.
(and believe me, I almost NEVER pay full price for ANYTHING)

It took me a long time to get here, and several stepping stones along the way, but the X-1 was worth the wait. I cannot rant and rave about it enough.

...and what do I use beside it?
remember way back in chapter one when I mentioned the little nitrox computer I picked up on Ebay? yup. the VEO 200 in gauge mode is my bottom timer. ~lol~ Who'd have thought THAT would have turned out to be the best buy of 2009?

So to sum it all up...
In Amy's opinion (which may or may not be worth beans to you, I'm OK with that either way.... I have just under a hundred mixed gas decompression dives - but I HAVE owned a pretty good selection of dive computers - lol!)
As a relatively new recreational diver (that may someday set your sights on tech) I strongly recommend a good little single gas, wrist mount, nitrox computer that can be placed in gauge mode. It will do everything you want to do recreationally...and when it's time to go tech - THEN get the X-1 if you can afford it and use your trusty little nitrox computer as your bottom timer.

If you can't afford the X-1, forget the T3, VT3, and the other 'quasi-tech' clones that do three gasses, they just lack the features that a good mixed gas computer should have. Instead, do the research, read read read, and learn all you can, get a good mixed gas computer like a VR3 to work as a stepping stone while you save your pennies. Then, when you've got enough, sell your VR3 back where you bought it....and buy the X-1.

That's my story, and I'm sticking to it....:smiley20:

(I really can't believe you read this whole thing! What the hell is wrong with you?? ~ LOL!)

comet24
10-28-2009, 23:37
I'm jumping in here a little late and I see you decided to hold off on a true deco computer and go with the Aeries Elite T3.

The VR3 is a fine computer but I think it's been surpassed by the X1 and Shearwater Pursuit. Shearwater also has the new Predator that adds color. These computers are true deco. computers built from the ground up to do multi gas deco diving. While they are very good computers they are a little overkill for rec. diving.

newjersey diver55
10-29-2009, 09:57
how long has the x-1 been out for? it sounds like everybody loves them so far, but I'm a little bit concerned about longevity.
It is a big investment to make if they are gone on to something else tommorow!

comet24
10-29-2009, 11:19
how long has the x-1 been out for? it sounds like everybody loves them so far, but I'm a little bit concerned about longevity.
It is a big investment to make if they are gone on to something else tommorow!

Isn't that the case with any kind of electronic device these days.

newjersey diver55
10-29-2009, 11:25
yes unfortunatly it is the case. But I was curious how long people have been diving with the x-1. It looks awesome, and I am definatly interested in more info. I went to the website but didnt get a lot of details about it. Any info would be greatly appreciated.

TommyB
10-29-2009, 11:43
yes unfortunatly it is the case. But I was curious how long people have been diving with the x-1. It looks awesome, and I am definatly interested in more info. I went to the website but didnt get a lot of details about it. Any info would be greatly appreciated.

Liquivision : About : History (http://liquivision.com/about_history.php)

The X1 (http://liquivision.com/x1.php) trimix CCR computer was launched in October 2007. In addition to the OLED display, it also featured a revolutionary tap-based user interface, enough processing power to run genuine VPM and Buhlmann algorithms, tiny size and a rechargeable battery.

Liquivision : Scuba : X1 (http://liquivision.com/x1.php)