PDA

View Full Version : Compass Mount

GMDGeek
10-22-2009, 08:25
I think I need to request a polls section lol. Another item I am curious about (and I know its typically personal preference but...) do you prefer the compass mounted on the wrist or on the gauges?

Vercingetorix
10-22-2009, 08:54
My compass is in a wrist boot. I removed both my computer and compass from a console and moved them to boots.

DevilDiver
10-22-2009, 08:58
Wrist.....

Since you will be doing photography IMO you will like having items (computer/compass/watch/ect..) wrist mounted for quick/easy access.

Streamlining for a photographer is also important, you can find yourself in some tight places and your attention focused on your subject.

Lone Frogman
10-22-2009, 08:58
Left wrist gets my vote. Nothing on my pressure gauge, but a swivel snap.

GMDGeek
10-22-2009, 11:01
Exactly what my thoughts were ... keep it up front and less hoses in the way of my camera gear. Plus I like the idea of the compass readily available.

Left Wrist DC, Right Wrist Compass ... clipped to the waist on hose backup analog PSI gauge. Love the Wireless DC but no way I am diving without a backup pressure meter.

TJDiver
10-22-2009, 11:17
Exactly what my thoughts were ... keep it up front and less hoses in the way of my camera gear. Plus I like the idea of the compass readily available.

Left Wrist DC, Right Wrist Compass ... clipped to the waist on hose backup analog PSI gauge. Love the Wireless DC but no way I am diving without a backup pressure meter.

I've seen this kinda statement many times, and am somewhat puzzled by it. In all my dives, I've never seen anyone using an analog SPG refusing to dive without a backup...but, throw the wireless rig in the mix, and some folks scream they won't go in the water without a backup SPG. I'm not knocking you for this practice...I just don't quite understand the motive?

GMDGeek
10-22-2009, 12:55
My motivation for a backup Pressure Gauge:

Wouldn't matter if I was using a "wired (hose connected)" Dive Computer or a "wireless" DC, I will not dive without a backup Pressure Gauge. I am not paranoid but I also believe in being prepared...

Sure dive computers have come a LONG way over the past decade and have a much lower failure rate but there is always the chance that something could happen to your DC.

... dive to deep and it breaks
... knock it against something and it dies
... some reason it floods
... batteries
... locks up (like cell phones do)
... etc

If I am diving and it goes out I don't want to waste the experience and I want to be able to continue diving especially if I am off at some exotic destination.

It is easy enough to tuck the gauge up out of the way and secure it so it is readily available but not out floating around all over the place.

Trolling 3 different forum boards in the past 2 weeks I have come across at least a couple dozen divers talking about something happening to their DC over the past year or so. Because of that it reaffirms my commitment to practice safe diving and never get out of that habit. Especially if I get into Tech Diving.

CompuDude
10-22-2009, 13:18

I'd reverse that. Right wrist DC, left wrist compass. (Ideally, Suunto SK7 compass in a DSS bungee mount)

When you raise your arm to vent your BC/wing, you want to be able to keep an eye on your depth. That means using your right arm for the computer, and left arm to manage buoyancy.

I agree it's best to keep an analog SPG. It's not likely to save your life (especially within NDL limits), but could very well save your dive (and/or subsequent dives) in the event of a computer/electronics problem.

cbope
10-22-2009, 13:18
I dive with two compasses, one traditional compass in my console and the digital one in my Suunto DC. I use both, it depends on what I am doing at the moment when I need a compass. For a quick bearing check I will usually just use my console.

cbope
10-22-2009, 13:23

I've seen this kinda statement many times, and am somewhat puzzled by it. In all my dives, I've never seen anyone using an analog SPG refusing to dive without a backup...but, throw the wireless rig in the mix, and some folks scream they won't go in the water without a backup SPG. I'm not knocking you for this practice...I just don't quite understand the motive?

I think for many the issue lies with it being a battery-powered device. Everyone has had some kind of battery-powered device die while using it, whether it's a cell phone or flashlight. I suppose it's just a mental thing, the battery might die while in use and I might lose the SPG. Not saying it's an issue for me because I don't have an AI DC...