PDA

View Full Version : Mares Brigade Viper Octo

james.earnhardt
08-30-2007, 13:16
Hello, I recently purchased a Viper Octo for my wife to use in her dive class form SCUBA Toys. Today I found out that the instructor was impressed with the design and excited to show it to the students. However during the dive she went to demonstrate buddy breathing and the Octo kept bubbling, wouldn't stop. All of the class had to resurface and switch my wife's gear out and she was really embarrassed. :smiley13:

What could have caused this and how can I fix it? As mentioned above this is brand new, even read the instructions before we used it. Also we are located overseas with the DOD so if I had to send it back I could loose out on some dives that we have coming up. The dive shop did offer to repair it but I can see me paying for that, no need to if it is brand new. With the warranty card can the expenses be paid for by Mares? I was even thinking that maybe a grain of sand caused the diaphram to stick open? I really don't know. Thanks for the help.

Paul

ScubaToys Larry
08-30-2007, 13:24
It's one of those things where the 1st stage and 2nd stage have to have a bit or harmony. It is probably the IP is too high in the first stage for that second stage. If that pressure builds up, it goes where it has the least resistance. It is possible your IP is high enough that the octo is opening up before the primary.

It's very easy to adjust if you have some allen wrenches and 2 crescents.

This thread shows you: http://forum.scubatoys.com/showthread.php?t=1183 and although that is a mares proton - it's the same steps.

Let me know what you think, and we'll work it out one way or the other for you.

Illini_Fan
08-30-2007, 13:24
hmmm --- my Viper tends to bubble at the start of every dive, but I've always attributed that to the fact I have it hanging upside down from a quick release on my D-Ring. Typically, I just invert the octo a couple of times and the bubbling stops. Not a very technical answer.

ScubaToys Larry
08-30-2007, 13:26
Yea, if it just bubbles in the water - it might be that the positioning is such that you are leaving an air pocket in the reg. Does it do it on land?? And when it's full of water - mouthpiece down?

Either way, the other instructions will show you how to tighten it up a bit.

Black-Gorrilla
08-31-2007, 16:06
i actually have my mares brigade taken apart in that other thread, just for the picture.