PDA

View Full Version : Serrated vs. Plain Edge?

liuk3
07-12-2007, 13:19
I was looking at some different knives and trying to figure out which type of blade to get. Just want to hear different peoples preferences in knives that they dive with.

HoosierDaddy
07-12-2007, 13:26
Serrated with a line cutter if possible.. I am making the change from blunt tip to sharp point.
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV>I dont like to spend a ton of $$$ of dive knives, they seem to be easy to drop, misplace...</DIV>

CompuDude
07-12-2007, 13:53
Ideally, your knife should have both cutting surfaces. Each have their strengths and weaknesses. Some types of materials, a plain edge slices through best without snagging. Other types, you need the extra cutting power the serrations provide. If I had to choose one I would probably take the serrated, but I prefer to have both.

fireman mike
07-12-2007, 16:40
I second having a knife with both edges, also you can pick up EMT shears cheep and they work great at cutting.

ScubaToys Joe
07-12-2007, 16:57
I dive the Underwater Kinetics Fusiler Knife (http://www.scubatoys.com/store/detail.asp?PRODUCT_ID=Fusiler)its the perfect size has both edges, multiple mounting options and the price is right! <?:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" />

Joe

texdiveguy
07-12-2007, 17:29
I dive with a Zeagle sheath knife....small folder...pair HD shears.

cummings66
07-12-2007, 18:04
I dive the Underwater Kinetics Fusiler Knife (http://www.scubatoys.com/store/detail.asp?PRODUCT_ID=Fusiler)its the perfect size has both edges, multiple mounting options and the price is right! <?:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" /><O:P></O:P>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV>That does look to be the perfect knife, I like it at any rate.</DIV>

liuk3
07-13-2007, 16:05
I ended up getting a serrated edge knife and a pair of the cheap EMT scissors.

madrsx
07-13-2007, 18:03
My understanding is that a smooth edge is better for smooth/plasticky surfaces, like fishing line. A serrated edge is better for fibers, like ropes, etc. Some knives have both surfaces, and some have a cutting notch which is good for cutting fishing lines. I think some people like the shears because they are easy to use one handed (it takes two to use a knife- one to hold the knife, one to hold the thing to cut) and are less likely to stab yourself with.

Judestudio
07-13-2007, 21:39
I dive the Underwater Kinetics Fusiler Knife (http://www.scubatoys.com/store/detail.asp?PRODUCT_ID=Fusiler)its the perfect size has both edges, multiple mounting options and the price is right! </span>
</span>
</span>
Joe </span>
I have this knife. The size is just right (I'm not a fan of bringing along swords), it's a tough little knife for anything you wanna cut underwater. Way cheaper than titanium knives as well. I highly recommend it smileys/smiley2.gif

reservecops
07-18-2007, 22:56
I dive the Underwater Kinetics Fusiler Knife its the perfect size has both edges, multiple mounting options and the price is right!
Do you dive a Ranger or Brigade, STJoe? If so, how did you choose to mount the Fusiler?

TxHockeyGuy
07-19-2007, 11:04
I have the fulliser knife as well and I zip tied it to my right shoulder BCD strap. If I ever need it I know right where it is and it doesn't get in the way. I've never had to use it below the water yet, but it has been used plenty of times surface side.

tc_rain
07-19-2007, 13:44
The Wenoka has a plain edge on one side a serrated on the other and a line cutter.

Lucky(AR)
07-19-2007, 22:59
i have both one with point on my bc and blunt tip strapped to leg

thesmoothdome
07-19-2007, 23:49
I still have my old blunt tipped Tusa Liberator. Serrated and straight edge with a line cutter. It's maybe 4" and the locking mechanism can't be beat. Well, maybe 15 years later it can be...Shrug.

tc_rain
07-20-2007, 12:57
I have read several complaints about the Wenoka squeeze locking system but mine has worked good so far. I just make sure I rinse the salt and sand crystals from it after each use.

CompuDude
07-20-2007, 13:32
I don't know why Wenoka moved away from their old Z-Lock mechanism, which worked like a champ. Still have and use mine, originally purchased in 1987.

kevinj1
07-20-2007, 13:35
Serrated with a line cutter if possible.. I am making the change from blunt tip to sharp point.
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV>I dont like to spend a ton of $$$ of dive knives, they seem to be easy to drop, misplace...</DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV>I definetely agree with Hoosier.......</DIV>

tc_rain
07-20-2007, 14:10
I am not familiar with the Z-lock. Order mine last year. If it last half as long as yours, I will be happy. <?:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" />

TAH 73
07-20-2007, 14:41
I have an Akona blunt tip with a "dual" blade, with a line cutter notch.
<DIV>The design hasn't changed in 10yrs or so, and I havn't lost mine yet so that may have something to say about the design of the knife/sheath.</DIV>
<DIV></DIV>

thesmoothdome
07-20-2007, 15:38
I am not familiar with the Z-lock. Order mine last year. If it last half as long as yours, I will be happy. <?:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" /><O:P></O:P>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV>If I remember right, the Z-lock was the ball lock mechanism they used. The ball simply popped out in the sheath's hole for it and locked the knife in place. </DIV>

CompuDude
07-20-2007, 16:37
I am not familiar with the Z-lock. </span>Order mine last year. </span>If it last half as long as yours, I will be happy. </span></font></font>
<div></div>
<div>If I remember right, the Z-lock was the ball lock mechanism they used. The ball simply popped out in the sheath's hole for it and locked the knife in place. </div>
Yup. Extremely simple, extremely secure, and extremely tolerant of sand, etc. in the mechanism with little to no danger of jamming. Not sure why they stopped using it and instead use the cutsie "squeeze lock" which is FAR more fragile by comparison.

I'll have to take a picture at some point.

tc_rain
07-20-2007, 17:28
Sounds much better. From what I have heard about the squeeze lock, sand or salt can become stuck in the squeeze handle. This stops the two prongs from engaging in the sheath, which results in a lost knife on your next dive. <?:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" />