PDA

View Full Version : What Have You Floated, Recovered, Moved Underwater?

inventor
10-24-2009, 22:05
Here in Lake Mead,(Las Vegas) sunken boats have moved out of rec depth to tec depth. Some of our group think that these can't be moved by divers. Also been watching MythBusters, which reminds me that they raised a baot with ping pong balls. Anyway, what have you moved or recovered that was already underwater?

Also, what have you lost, or deliberately left?

navyhmc
10-25-2009, 02:19
There are a number of cases where divers for one reason or another decided to move a boat that's been sunk. John, the owner of Oronogo, has recounted a few times where they've sunk a boat as a "go see..." and a group of divers have decided to take it upon themselves to move it-always with poor results.

One was moved from 90' to 170'. Seems they decided to lift it with BC's, one guy let go and it did a domino effect from there and the boat floated off the ledge rather than settling back straight down.

As far as deliberately left: a 25 year old mask zip tied to a cabin cruiser at 95'...

rednose83
10-25-2009, 03:12
The only thing I've moved are some beer cans that some idiots threw out of their boat in the river. I wouldn't undertake moving a boat. I've never deliberately left anything or lost anything......yet.

Lone Frogman
10-25-2009, 04:36
In my ERDI training we located a small car in 30ft of water. We attached lift bags to it, raised it and pulled the car to the shore. Other items I have recovered fishing poles, anchors, anchors and more anchors, outboard motor, weight belts, gate valves, piping and pipe fittings.

snagel
10-25-2009, 08:15
I've picked up numerous fishing poles - I think I've got 12 new rods and reels now in the shed. I must be a pole magnet. Sucks finding one at the beginning of a dive and trying to carry it while doing the rest of the dive.

Snagel

mrmccoy
10-25-2009, 10:09
On my very first open water dive I found a snorkel. It was a pretty nice snorkel too!

Lulubelle
10-25-2009, 10:16
I feel cheated. I have only found a tiny Princeton Tec light. I keep it in my purse as I don't find it useful in our waters here. I really need to find a NICE light, no funds to buy one at present. Paying hospital bills instead.

PACKRMAN
10-25-2009, 20:12
I feel cheated. I have only found a tiny Princeton Tec light. I keep it in my purse as I don't find it useful in our waters here. I really need to find a NICE light, no funds to buy one at present. Paying hospital bills instead.

Me too
I burned 750 psi cutting loose a bunch of mono. When I got topside the Capt. confiscated the lure.:smiley36:

comet24
10-25-2009, 20:20
This wasn't me but the funniest thing I ever seen brought up was a porcelain toilet. Then when we get back to the dock he realized he didn't have room in his truck for it.

snagel
10-26-2009, 05:24
Why did you take the toilet out....what if some diver needed to use it?

Snagel

PACKRMAN
10-26-2009, 07:29
Your never going to hear the end of it from the ladies. Its bad enough leaving the seat up, but taking it out all together. Watch out brother.

DJBadfish
10-26-2009, 10:13
Nice! The toilet lift would have been epic to see! For search and recovery class we lifted tanks and that was pretty easy. I've helped lift a boat motor too. That was a little more fun. Though I think the people in my class thought it was a little odd that I enjoyed search and recovery so much...

Vlane
10-30-2009, 01:18
I used a light bag to lift a weight belt with about 10lbs on it for my AOW :smiley36:. Was supposed to do an anchor recovery for a friend over the summer but he got busy and never got around to it. Hoping to check out a local party cove next summer and maybe get some treasures of some drunk boaters.

mstrdvr
10-30-2009, 12:44
Raised a 16ft boat with lift bags , got it to shore and while waiting for the owner to sign off on it ( that they didnt want it ) some kids smashed it . All it needed was a pressure washing , new seats , good to go.Also countless anchors and a few fishing poles

dkh6070
10-30-2009, 13:40
Every boat or barge I've seen was filed wtih large rocks to prevent it from being moved. Why move the wrecks?

bane51031
11-02-2009, 23:20
anchors and more anchors, dredging cables, truck,evidence....
clay pigeons from 1915 era,deer skull,old bottles the lake keeps churning up,lures,fishing poles(one with a fish on it),cans,etc...

OsoBuceador
11-03-2009, 02:23
Diving in the Caribbean, I seem to find dive weights for some reason.

mstrdvr
11-03-2009, 05:22
dkh6070 , the boat that I help raise had sank from being overloaded and intoxicated operator , the DNR wanted it out

Squidly
11-14-2009, 01:12
So far this year I have recovered two trucks, several fishing poles, some cables, tackle boxes… and still searching for a shotgun… but black water searches are slow when your dive buddy is an idiot…

bottomdweller
11-17-2009, 15:38
I am going to get to lift & move a pretty good size sailboat in my upcoming search & recovery class in early December.

Bert
11-18-2009, 14:44
During class we used lift bags to loft a boat, pipe, valves. out side of class nothing

USF_Diver
11-19-2009, 15:22
A large chest of gold coins..... I wish :)

Lone Frogman
11-19-2009, 15:57
In my ERDI training we located a small car in 30ft of water. We attached lift bags to it, raised it and pulled the car to the shore. Other items I have recovered fishing poles, anchors, anchors and more anchors, outboard motor, weight belts, gate valves, piping and pipe fittings.

Add a slide for a house boat.

MSilvia
11-19-2009, 16:36
I've recovered (by floating) a mooring line that was lost in the muck, an old anchor, and numerous very heavy bags of sea scallops.

While not a recovery, I've also filled a bunch of discarded beer bottles with air and let them rocket toward the surface (and beyond) to dissuade a fisherman from persistently dropping his line near our flag. It worked, and left the divers watching on shore with some pretty big grins.

navyhmc
11-19-2009, 17:50
Now that's a boat deterrent if I've ever heard of one!!!

+1,000 MSilvia!

chazrich
12-15-2009, 12:51
I've recovered (by floating) a mooring line that was lost in the muck, an old anchor, and numerous very heavy bags of sea scallops.

While not a recovery, I've also filled a bunch of discarded beer bottles with air and let them rocket toward the surface (and beyond) to dissuade a fisherman from persistently dropping his line near our flag. It worked, and left the divers watching on shore with some pretty big grins.

You are a genius! I'll definitely have to remember this technique.

cummings66
12-22-2009, 21:01
Monday, yesterday that is, my buddy and I used a lift bag to refloat a dive training platform that sunk. We put it back at 20 feet, that thing was heavier than I would have thought, took about 300 lbs of lift.

I had a blast moving it though, and next Saturday or Sunday we'll refloat the platform that was at 18 feet. It was tied to the large platform and when the large one sank it pulled the small one under. They used Styrofoam chunks to hold them up so they slipped out of place and down it went.

maverick
12-29-2009, 09:29
I'm going 2 retrive a lawn mower. In a private quarry, about 65'.

bigman241
01-28-2010, 07:56
One plan of mine I lost a 35 dollar muskie lure I know what tree it is on and it is just 10 feet down I could see it when it got snagged.

Me too
I burned 750 psi cutting loose a bunch of mono. When I got topside the Capt. confiscated the lure.:smiley36:

below sea level
01-28-2010, 08:25
I once recovered a 5lb weight and an empty shampoo bottle. Nothing to get too excited about...