PDA

View Full Version : Luxury pastimes

pnevai
08-30-2007, 17:06
Well CNN considers scuba diving a Luxury past time, right up there with private pilots Yacht owners and and Rodeo Drive shoppers. So when the marketing mavens out there establish the belief that Scuba Diving a activity for the rich and famous, expect the prices of all our stuff ot go even higher.

http://www.cnn.com/SPECIALS/2007/leisure/interactive/gallery.luxury.leisure/content.1.5.html

thor
08-30-2007, 17:11
Pardon me, but do you have any Grey Poupon?

(I hope I am not dating myself with that reference)

CrzyJay456
08-30-2007, 17:19
could be. dive vacations to exotic locations, and expensive gear.

JCAT
08-30-2007, 17:50

You are, but I guess I am too. :smilie39:

JahJahwarrior
08-30-2007, 17:53
Um, I bought my first set of gear for $500, and overall only have about $1200 in the sport now. My roomates at Uni. have told me they brought $500 in SHIRTS alone.

My scuba gear costs more than my entire wardrobe, it even cost more than my camera gear....but I've spent less on SCUBA than my roomates have on clothes.

Liv7301
08-30-2007, 18:23
When we decided to start scuba diving we did have to make some sacrifices...I'm a teacher and norine62 is a doctorate student so we are clearly not rolling in dough.

The big thing that got the axe was our split season tickets for the Dallas Stars.

Charlotte Smith
08-30-2007, 19:02
Isn't it "whatever makes you happy?"....thats my philosophy.

gtjason2000
08-30-2007, 19:50
I feel its costly, we just make the trade off if not rolling in dough. It would be a lot cheaper if dive sites didn't charge so much and after you get past the initial investment.

brandon
08-30-2007, 19:52
Diving is pretty durn expensive, at least to get started with. I made the mistake of keeping what I've spent on diving in an excel spreadsheet. It frightens me how much I've spent, and I know I'm not anywhere near a big spender.

It's even worse thinking about how much I want to spend on diving... it never ends.

At least diving locally is cheap.

-B.

DivingsInMyBlood
08-30-2007, 19:54
I think it costs quite a bit to get into and i can see how many people cant afford to do it.

Capt Hook
08-30-2007, 21:56
Almost all of our diving is from boats so with two divers the cost can mount up fast. First thing to go was diners out. Now a burger and a beer after diving is considered as eating out.

chinacat46
08-30-2007, 22:54
Diving is not a cheap sport/hobby/obsession. In some activities no gear/special equipment is needed or is minor. In other activities it costs for the gear but then its virtually free to do it. You can probably do some cheap dives depending wher you live but you still had to pay for the gear. Then if you do go somewhere you'll be paying for the traveling and the diving.

Divegirl
08-30-2007, 23:01
Hey, we got what we had to have, but really it depends on how you approach it. We are fortuate as we can drive to San Carlos Mexico in about 4 1/2 hours, the gear purchases were a little tough, however we shore dive if the budget is tight, and we can't boat dive. The piece of mind that you get from a good dive is worth the amount spent on the gear.

To be under the water, the feeling helps me get thru the next few weeks at work!!!! I just think of diving!!!

dmdoss
08-30-2007, 23:19

:smilie39::smilie39: Too good.

ScubaJenn81
08-31-2007, 05:47
I do not want to know how much I have spent so far on diving. I am sure I could have gone on one GREAT vacation, but then if it was really that good of a trip, I would have dove on it, hummmm......

Sometimes it is better just not to know.

mountaindiver
08-31-2007, 09:00
That is why I have only been to the ocean once, being from a land locked state, it costs to much to go to the colorful places. I love my local diving. But Finances are the only reason I don't go to the ocean.

Where's The Water?

Jaymeany
08-31-2007, 09:11
I compare this to what many runners spend (that being what I would consider one of the cheapest sports). Properly replacing shoes I would spend between $900 and $1500 on shoes alone. then clothes are even worse but at least they last a few years. The nice thing about this sport is tanks last forever and a lot of stuff you really replace only a few times in a life time. I just stopped running as much as I was but lets say I did about 10 years going through shoes like that. $15,000 so far in shoes. Race entry fees are now between $30 and $150. I was racing twice to 3 times a month for most of the year. Now I didn't pick up the tab for most of that but for a sport thats "just running" thats a lot of cash.

scubasavvy
08-31-2007, 09:17
Just getting outfitted is the expensive part. You can submerge yourself in a lot of places for free...

creggur
08-31-2007, 10:05
Diving certainly isn't cheap, but it's nowhere near the expense of being a private pilot, or a boat owner, much less a yacht.

Private Pilot. Initial investment in lessons, materials, sectional charts, headphones, and plane rental - probably around $6000.00. That was 5 years ago when I did it, and the price of avgas has gone way up since then. If you want to buy even a 5th share of a Cessna 172 you're looking at 12-20k plus insurance, hanger, fuel $4.50 a gallon @ 12 gallons an hour, parking fees. This would be for a 25 year old plane, with nothing special about it. New ones start at $185,000 and go up from there fast.

So I don't think SCUBA is financially in the same ballpark as the other activities they listed. It is different, and I'm sure technical diving is extremeley expensive for all of the gear, and traininig required, but that's not what most of us do...

BSea
08-31-2007, 10:29
Well CNN considers scuba diving a Luxury past time, right up there with private pilots Yacht owners and and Rodeo Drive shoppers. So when the marketing mavens out there establish the belief that Scuba Diving a activity for the rich and famous, expect the prices of all our stuff ot go even higher.

http://www.cnn.com/SPECIALS/2007/leisure/interactive/gallery.luxury.leisure/content.1.5.html
So now I know why I don't own a plane or yacht. Please don't tell my wife about the Rodeo Drive shopping.:smiley34:

georoc01
08-31-2007, 11:38
Just getting outfitted is the expensive part. You can submerge yourself in a lot of places for free...

I don't know about that, you have to at least rent tanks or buy air. And none of the parks around here are free anymore, so I think the cheapest dives I can do locally usually cost me $20+gas.

I guess if you can get free fills and have public places you can dive for free, but I haven't seen many of them.

georoc01
08-31-2007, 11:40
I compare SCUBA to downhill skiing. Equipment costs are similar (maybe a little higher for Diving depending on what equipment you buy), and then you have an ongoing expense (ie lift tickets, passes, etc) in order to keep the sport going.

Anyone think of other sports that are similar?

Disneymom
08-31-2007, 11:58
Gee, if it's a luxury, I best quit - after all, I'm a lowly secretary who drives a Mazda 3.
Yeah, it's costly to buy the gear, but once it's purchased, it's purchased. The trips are probably in the same general price as going for a week to a ski resort, or the family to Walt Disney World for a week. It's manageable for us middle income folk, but certainly not thousands upon thousands like owning a yacht, or becoming a pilot. Besides, inland diving is pretty cheap - the cost of tank rentals and/or air fills, provided you've got your stuff!
Rodeo drive? Nah, I won't pay more than about $25 for a purse! :smiley36:

cummings66
08-31-2007, 11:58
Well CNN considers scuba diving a Luxury past time, right up there with private pilots

It won't cost more, but the taxes you pay will probably go up. That's how they work because higher taxes will boost the economy and increase production and all the good stuff that comes with higher taxes. Well, except for smokes in which case higher taxes are supposed to curtail the desire to smoke. Both arguably luxury items. Expect your taxes to go up very soon now.

cummings66
08-31-2007, 12:01
I guess if you can get free fills and have public places you can dive for free, but I haven't seen many of them.

I get free air, and I have a free spot to dive. It still costs me about $12 in gas to go there and back. A lot of smaller parks don't charge for swimming or diving and sometimes you'll find they're not too bad to frequent.

rkmccamp
08-31-2007, 14:38
just don't keep up with it. you live one time & diving is living!!

loudgonzo
08-31-2007, 14:44

Well, biking could be even more of a luxury, yet most everyone I know owns a bike, and their kids have their own bikes.

http://i.cnn.net/cnn/images/hub2000/1.gif Biking
Serious bikers are prepared to shell out some serious bucks for the ride of a lifetime. Companies such as Butterfield & Robinson offer biking journeys throughout six continents. Depending on where your trip takes you, you can expect to see beaches in Vietnam, castles of the Loire Valley or temples in Cambodia. Travelers ride top-of-the-line bikes and stay in private chateaus. Don’t worry – if you get tired, a Land Rover will be waiting to whisk you back to your room. Expect to spend $1,000 to $10,000 per day on these trips as you pedal your way around the world. But ride assured – at prices this steep, there is no margin for error, said Cari Gray, the director of marketing.

Media sensationalizing at its best (or worst). Besides, the last time I sat down to watch the news...several years ago.

scubasamurai
08-31-2007, 14:47
actually it was cheaper than my motorcycling hobbie. including the injuries i recieved thanks toa gray haired wondered, thought scuba would be alot less riskier ( true you can only off yourself) and it is cheaper, once you buy it and the trips are cheaper than maintaince on a leaking harley.

Wrayne
08-31-2007, 15:45
I do not want to know how much I have spent so far on diving. I am sure I could have gone on one GREAT vacation, but then if it was really that good of a trip, I would have dove on it, hummmm......

Sometimes it is better just not to know.

I completely agree on this. My sweet fiance keeps saying "do you know how much we've spent on this so far?" and I keep telling him that NO and I don't really want to know.. :smiley23: But I figure it will be worth it.

And hey, it really costs $1000 per person to go cage diving with sharks?? Wow. I guess that will have to wait for awhile. Probably a long while..

scuba Widow
08-31-2007, 16:29
Isn't it "whatever makes you happy?"....thats my philosophy.

absolutely!!!

CrzyJay456
08-31-2007, 19:13

thats what me and my dive buddies are gonna be doing often.
beach dives, and more beach/shore dives.
we are lucky to live in miami, within an hour drive we can be at several shore dive spots, and within less than an hour to the boats in key largo (if we feel like paying 55-75$ for a few dives)
but you know what, it's what we choose to do, and it's what we make sacrifices to do... so keep budgeting, and keep diving.

after you buy all the gear (like me my BF and his brother) we can go diving for (20$) GAS (5$) per tank fill, and thats it... so a 40-60$ for a few dives a week, between 3 people. not too bad, but i wish we had a boat!!

greyzen
08-31-2007, 20:55
Sorry I didn't have time to click your link... I'm only popping in inbetween my visits to the art museums and horse yards, you know we simply have to be kept busy.

By the way, what DID you say your name was again?

Xspect
08-31-2007, 21:05
Hmmm....

I fly and dive... Is that the reason why Im broke ?

greyzen
09-01-2007, 09:33
Yes.

You should really pick one... I mean, altitude is for wimps, get low baby! :P

creggur
09-01-2007, 12:09
Hmmm....

I fly and dive... Is that the reason why Im broke ?

I gave up flying when the alarm on the wifes biological clock started buzzin'..It is a lot of fun, but for me I couldn't really afford the kind of plane that actually made travel practical, so the plane went away. Diving by comparison is much, much, much less expensive, and quite honestly as much as I loved flying, I find diving a much more natural activity for me. Not saying I'm a natural by any means, but I'm way more comfortable 100' below the water than I ever was 4500' off the ground....

scubasamurai
09-01-2007, 12:17
it is nice to hang with all you former flyers. maybe scuba is for the rich and not so much famous

finflippers
09-01-2007, 13:40
I dive alot of lakes and don't pay a cent to get in. I own my gear so no rental fees (started out with most of my gear from a pawn shop and worked my way up one thing at a time). A tank of air isn't much. So for less then $10.00 I can go diving. The initial cost are high but can be spread out over time by getting a little at a time.

ScubaToys Larry
09-01-2007, 14:38
I got my ticket about 30 years ago... did some fun flying back then. Went up in an aerobat and learned to do snap rolls, loops, lazy 8s, barrel rolls...

But yea... a bit pricey. Haven't flown in over 25 years now. My brother has a mooney - but I haven't been up for a long time. For me now, flying is just a way to get to a dive destination.

But if you want expensive.... My wife is into horses.... enough said.

greyzen
09-01-2007, 15:16
All joking aside I've heard and seen some hobbies out there that make scuba seem entry level.

Today, instead of being able to enjoy ScubaToys, my wife drug me to Cabels (she likes camping/etc.)

We went into the gun section, and they had single barrel rifles from the 1800s that would pay for four sets of good gear easy.

cummings66
09-01-2007, 22:17
I know well what those guns cost. I have some custom target rifles and semi auto's, and even a SAA. I used to collect Colt's but recently their quality has gone way down hill and the imports are better. Those toys cost a fortune, but if you reload your own ammo which is a must for target shooting it becomes reasonable.

In fact that's where my lead weights came from, I melted down some of my lead ingots for bullets and turned them into bricks for diving. Dual purpose hobby materials I guess.

trekkindave
09-06-2008, 17:52
I think Diving may be on the cusp of luxury if you are an active diver.

Having your own equipement makes it expensive to get into but if you are going to dive often it will pay of its self in a year or two. If you rent equipment and dive often it can be very expensive, around here its 50-75 dollars for ill fitting rental equipement each time you dive for a day. Having your own cuts down on that cost.

The occasional diver who doesnt dive that often will find it easier to rent when they go on vacation to dive the 2-3 dives they do a year.

If i had to rent equipment, just in the past 2 weeks i would have spent over 600 dollars for the 5 dives i have done. I paid less then that for my reg setup.

tndiverdude
09-10-2008, 01:01
Its not just diving.
My wife and daughter sew and knit and do crafts and that went high. My wife recently took up whittling and the cost of balsa went high as did knives.. so anytime you get into an avocation hobby its going to cost, irregardless of what it is.

Flfiremedic
09-10-2008, 01:12
I don't care what CNN says. I work to dive...being able to dive during my days off is the only reason I'm willing to do the job I do.