PDA

View Full Version : deviated septum?

tomich
10-26-2009, 12:44
anybody have the surgery for a deviated septum?

how was diving, before and after?

Lulubelle
10-26-2009, 12:57
anybody have the surgery for a deviated septum?

how was diving, before and after?

tomich, I don't know how to rename this link, but the issue is thoroughly discussed here.

http://forum.scubatoys.com/general-scuba-training-questions/24356-diving-dream-crushed.html

I would have a DAN doc consult before you do anything.

inventor
10-26-2009, 13:05
I've had a deviated septum corrected. That was about four years ago, and I've been diving for about 14 months. Never had any issues with it. And actually, a few months after the surgery, broke my nose. No problems with diving. Though a lady I know that had it done, and reported also being very sensitive to ozone, such as put out by electrical equipment. Sensitive as in can smell it very easily, not causing discomfort.

oddbod
10-27-2009, 06:41
Had it done some 30 years ago, with a heap of other stuff on the old hooter, if I hadn't I wouldn't be able to dive as I couldn't breathe at all through my nose. Check with a good ENT Doc:smiley20:

aeropl
12-12-2009, 12:22
I just went to an ENT doctor a few days ago for this problem. It turns out that while I could have surgery to fix it, the deviation is moderate and can be managed. I have always had problems equalizing but have gotten much better as I've honed the technique and managed allergies. If you don't get it fixed the key is not having any sort of congestion in your nose while you dive. What sort of problems do you currently have while diving?

tomich
12-13-2009, 04:36
At about 10 feet, my right ear is much more difficult to equalize than my left one. Eventually it comes, but it takes much longer. I have visited several ENT's and they said that there is inflammation on that side and have suggested steroid spray, but it's not a permanent solution.

I have discovered many things to try and get around it, such as snorting sea water before diving, finding that swallowing helps equalize that side more than trying the valsalva manuever, etc.

It's been 6 years since I took up diving and 150 dives later I've learned to live with it but it's still a major hassle and sometimes I wonder if even dangerous by not being able to equalize quickly...

mm2002
12-20-2009, 08:59
I had surgery to correct a deviated septum about 13 years ago. Now there is scar tissue in that area, so it's not much better than before the surgery. As far as clearing your ears though, I'm not seeing how a deviated septum could affect it. Is it so bad that you can't breath out of that side at all?

tomich
12-20-2009, 09:25
I had surgery to correct a deviated septum about 13 years ago. Now there is scar tissue in that area, so it's not much better than before the surgery. As far as clearing your ears though, I'm not seeing how a deviated septum could affect it. Is it so bad that you can't breath out of that side at all?

No, I can clear, but it is much more difficult and slower than the average person.

Here is information from DAN on it:
DAN Divers Alert Network (http://www.diversalertnetwork.org/medical/faq/faq.aspx?faqid=119)

I have found other sources that comment that divers with deviated septums often have difficulty clearing between 3-5 meters.