PDA

View Full Version : Painting

chicken
11-02-2009, 15:25
I picked up three AL80's from a dive shop going out of business for $25 each. The oldest tank born on date is 1996 and all of the tanks have current hydro's and vis inspections. The problem is the color. They are ugly and have been tossed around the rental fleet for a few years.

What can I safely use to strip the paint and what can I use as a clearcoat protectant?

rayaa3
11-02-2009, 15:46
wow, nice price. I don't own my own tanks, as little as I dive locally (8 tanks a year) It's cheaper to just rent them for 10 bucks a weekend.

I've seen this painting question come up before, and I just don't get it...I think ugly tanks have 'character'.

At any rate - this was the last time I saw this thread come up...

http://forum.scubatoys.com/tanks/23985-can-you-paint-tank.html

I glanced through it, not sure if you'll find exactly what you are looking for. Looks like some safety issues.

I also seem to remember Leisure Pro selling what I can only call 'tank covers' in different neat designs if you really hate the look of your tanks.

but like I said...torn up tanks have character :)

Ray

rayaa3
11-02-2009, 15:50
http://www.leisurepro.com/Catalog.aspx?op=BrandDisplay&BrandName=Scuba%20Hides

those tank covers I mentioned...actually kinda neat you'll be an easy buddy to spot in a group (not that big of a deal in Oklahoma, you lose your buddy from more than 4 ft away anyway).

Ray

emt
11-02-2009, 15:55
Good seeing you chicken...I still think about that nice warm spot to run under the chair & get some free gas in the winter to stay warm, picture. It also blocked the sun sooo much in the summer for the little chicken...

Gotta put a similar old joke in:
A little bird was flying south for the winter. It got so cold it froze up and fell to the ground in a large field.

While it was lying there, a cow came by and dropped some dung on it. As it lay there in the pile of cow dung, it began to realize how warm it was. The dung was actually thawing him out! He lay there all warm and happy, and soon began to sing for joy.

A passing cat heard the little bird singing, and came to investigate. Following the sound, the cat discovered the bird under the pile of cow dung, and promptly dug him out-and then ate him.

The morals of the story are:

1. Not everyone who drops **** on you is your enemy.

2. Not everyone who gets you out of **** is your friend.

3. When you're in deep ****, keep your mouth shut!

Vercingetorix
11-02-2009, 16:04
I'm looking for covers like:
http://forum.scubatoys.com/gallery/files/1/4/6/devl_tank.jpg

FishFood
11-02-2009, 16:19
To remove the old paint Luxfer recommends blasting with plastic or glass.

Or you could just pick up a can of 'Aircraft Remover' and some sand paper.

As for a clear coat.... why would you want to put a clear coat 'protectant' on aluminum?

rayaa3
11-02-2009, 16:24
I'm looking for covers like:
http://forum.scubatoys.com/gallery/files/1/4/6/devl_tank.jpg

Never really had a thing for blondes. Besides my dive buddy (wife) wouldn't share air in a OOA emergency until I dropped the tank. I'de be down there frantically drawing my hand across my throat to indicate OOA...and she'd be there, smiling warm and lovingly, giving me the finger.

adambayam
11-03-2009, 01:52
Never really had a thing for blondes. Besides my dive buddy (wife) wouldn't share air in a OOA emergency until I dropped the tank. I'de be down there frantically drawing my hand across my throat to indicate OOA...and she'd be there, smiling warm and lovingly, giving me the finger.

As already mentioned Leisure Pro has an assortment of tank covers or tank hides. The graphics are printed polyethelyne, which is placed on the tank without any adhesive. Then, shrink-wrap sleeve is slid over the tank and heat shrunk with a normal hairdryer. Because the graphics are printed on the inside of the label, nothing will rub off. The covers do not cover either the hydro stamp or visual inspection sticker.

A great way to personalize your dive outfit!

Ray might I suggest the Matthew Mcconaughey:

Tassie Diver
11-03-2009, 02:08
I've done my tanks with varied success. For removal, try a citrus-based paint stripper and a scraper. Then start with coarse wet and dry sandpaper, progressing to finer.

For painting the aluminium tanks, I used an etch-primer and it worked a treat. But the top coat I put on (a brand name enamel) is leaving a yellow trail wherever it goes!

On my steel tanks I followed the same procedure, but used a zinc-rich, gloss top coat. This is holding up well.

I've also seen aluminium tanks sprayed with a clear lacquer.

cummings66
11-08-2009, 07:55
I should have read this thread before, don't use sandpaper. The object is to remove the paint not metal.

If a person really wants to do it, Luxfer and Catalina both have instructions on how to strip and repaint their brand cylinder on their webpage. In short, paint stripper safe on al and paint which isn't heat cured. Stripper is the primary method of paint removal because it doesn't damage the metal. They have said certain types of media blasting is OK but not preferred.

Tassie Diver
11-08-2009, 14:01
...don't use sandpaper...
Unless you're built like a Californian governor, the amount of metal you'll remove using sandpaper, by hand, after paint stripper is somewhere between a smidgen and bugger all:smiley2:

I have no concerns about that.

Okc_diver
11-08-2009, 23:48
I wouldn't mind getting the mountain dive sleeve. It would look good on my neon green tank.

rednose83
11-09-2009, 00:10
I wouldn't mind getting the mountain dive sleeve. It would look good on my neon green tank.

I'm thinking about ordering that for my Dad for Christmas.

cummings66
11-09-2009, 06:47
Just remember, don't put them on if you're getting close to a VIP or hydro because you will have to have it cut off. So, they're only good for a year at most.

I'm an inspector and I take seriously my job, stickers and things like that will be removed or the cylinder will not pass and most serious inspectors feel the same way. By the same token, when you paint it be sure not to obscure the markings or the cylinder won't pass either, in fact a hydro shop will refuse to hydro it. I know that because that happened last week to a friend who took one of his old 72's in for hydro. They couldn't read the DOT markings and it failed.

WD8CDH
11-09-2009, 15:16
Soda Blasting removes paint without removing any metal.

IndyDiver
11-09-2009, 16:32
If you are looking to do a natural aluminum clear coat finish when you are done stripping, this is a great product:

Staybrite Lacquer (http://www.hartvilletool.com/product/11382)

It is very durable and resists salt water extremly well. I have done one tank and two pony bottles with it and they hold up very well. It says brass laquer, but over the years I have used it on brass, aluminum, stainless steel, and copper - all with good results.

One caviat though: It takes about 7-10 days for it to cure completely so it is unaffected by salt water.