PDA

View Full Version : Lobstering

mselizann
11-04-2009, 07:56
Anyone ever been lobstering in Cayman? We will be there during lobster season, and want to check it out. I can get a marine park map to see where we can't be- but don't know where we SHOULD be. Any ideas?:smilie_keks:

emt
11-04-2009, 21:44
20+ years ago so rules have probably changed. I was only snorkeling from shore back then but here's what I remember. 7 mile beach was flat & no lobster seen by me, none seen where the ships came in either. North bay was nothing in area I went. I snorkeled about 1+ hour on the north side east of Rum Point and found lobster... My wife & other couple thought I had drown as they could not see me from shore and I was past the elk horn coral protecting the north shore (it was tricky swimming thru it without a wet suit in good waves and once past it they could not see me while I was snorkeling. I picked up 3 -4 lobster & brought them back to 7 mile beach apt. & cooked them & we ate them...Nice looking elk horn on the north shore as long as you don't mind swimming a long way from shore to reach them. You will see the waves crashing on them...

mselizann
11-05-2009, 07:30
We stay on the East End- which has a lot of reef areas compared to SMB....
Well, I've got 5 weeks to try and find out!!

emt
11-05-2009, 21:45
It may have been 20-25 years ago. Fun to remember. I don't remember if I was newly certified or not but my spouse and other couple were not so I only snorkeled. Back then I could cover a lot of ground(reef) quickly. Yea SMB was flat for a long way so I did not swim out to see how it dropped off. They said when I snorkeled the north side, they thought I had drown and were getting ready to get help. They said it was no way to see me snorkeling over the waves crashing on the Elk Horn Coral. Give any area like that a try where no one is likely to have looked for lobster.. Of course they often walk in groups so it's the luck of the moment to find them sometimes.
I just told my wife I was thinking of the trip. Her first words were "Don't talk about it we thought you had drown."