PDA

View Full Version : pony bottle setup

wetwilly2
08-31-2007, 08:51
tank mount or sling, which is more convenient safer

No Misses
08-31-2007, 10:09
I use an AL19. I hang it on the left side of my primary (AL80), using the Quickdraw II Bracket. The pony is inverted so that I can reach back with my left hand and turn on the gas. By diving with the gas off. I know that when I turn it on it will be a full tank (no slow leak). The pony's second stage is bungied to the side of the tank.

The Quick draw bracket uses pins to hold the 2 halves together. It is easy to pull the pin and remove the pony when switching tanks.

ReefHound
08-31-2007, 10:20
Based on the lengthy discussions I've seen in the past, I plan to get a 19cf pony and sling mount it. Easier to access and monitor, and you can easily hand it off to another diver if necessary.

BSea
08-31-2007, 10:30
I've done it both ways with my 19. I'll sling it from now on. For all the reasons Reefhound expressed.

mm_dm
08-31-2007, 11:09
Clips to left chest D-ring and left waist D-ring when I drag it along.

jeraldjcook
08-31-2007, 11:22
I use an AL19. I hang it on the left side of my primary (AL80), using the Quickdraw II Bracket. The pony is inverted so that I can reach back with my left hand and turn on the gas. By diving with the gas off. I know that when I turn it on it will be a full tank (no slow leak). The pony's second stage is bungied to the side of the tank.

The Quick draw bracket uses pins to hold the 2 halves together. It is easy to pull the pin and remove the pony when switching tanks.

I just sold my Quickdraw bracket for my 19cf. It was nice for local diving, but on vacation there is no good way to make it work on the boats b/c of the tank holders. I wanted to use the same configuration all the time so I decided it would be better to just sling it.

Flatliner
08-31-2007, 12:23
Not to hijack the thread but I have a question. If you dive with the pressure off, are there any issues with water ingress into the regs?

in_cavediver
08-31-2007, 13:11
Not to hijack the thread but I have a question. If you dive with the pressure off, are there any issues with water ingress into the regs?

A recommendation for when carrying a slung tank, valve off: Always pressurize the system, then during the dive, periodically feather the valve to ensure its still pressurized.

If you don't do this, there is a chance for water to come up the 2nd stage and into the first. Not a very good chance mind you, (lots of things would have to line up for it to happen) but if I said never, someone would have it happen.

medic001918
08-31-2007, 13:13
I believe the way most people stop water from entering is to "charge" the system prior to the dive by opening the valve and then closing it. This puts pressure in the regulator as long as you don't breathe from it or purge it after closing the valve. The pressure will help to keep water out. Couple that with careful rigging and stowing, and you have a pretty reliable system.

Shane

Krakenn
08-31-2007, 19:46
Most peeps dont dive with secondary tanks over in Sandgroper country so how about some photos so I can have a look at how you guys set it up and use the system.

Kraks

scubasamurai
08-31-2007, 20:25
keeping it sling works for me. but you deceide for yourself

willardj
08-31-2007, 20:30
Try them both. But for me I sling it. Works great!

subsur
08-31-2007, 21:01
the question of how to attach a pony bottle has raised lots of heated debates on SB. there are many excellent tank mount systems if you decide to attach a pony to your tank. check Oxycheq G-Snap system

JahJahwarrior
09-01-2007, 21:56
Here are some pictures showing a slung pony. For what it's worth, if you plan on doing tech diving in the future, a 40cf pony is a good bottle to go with. 19cf is too small to use as a deco/stage bottle for most purposes, and too big for an argon bottle. But, 19 is a good size for a rec diver pony setup.

The slung setup is more towards technical diving, but you'll find that it does have advantages for rec diving. For one, it's certainly not worse than attaching it to the backgas. There aren't any disadvantages that I can think of, except if using a larger bottle, it might tend to twist you over. Counter this with a can light :) A 19 shouldn't affect you much, and you probably had it somewhat to one side if mounted on your backgas anyways, right? Secondly, for the traveling diver, no need to carry complicated things to attach to rental tanks.

http://www.tekdiv.com/images/stage_detail02.gif
http://www.gue.com/Equipment/Config/rhea_tech02-cayman330.jpg
http://www.gue.com/Equipment/Config/rhea-cayman_stage219.jpg

wxboy911
09-02-2007, 14:53
I know I am coming in at the end of this but Thanks for the pics...They help a lot.

greyzen
09-02-2007, 15:18
OH!!

I always thought the pony's were sitting next to your primary...

so like

|Main||Pony|

so they are sideslung... well that saves me some cash.

JahJahwarrior
09-02-2007, 15:28
Geyzen--you can do it both ways. You can sling them, or you can mount them, like
http://www.zeagle.com/clientuploads/Jim_Fox_Photos/accessories/8029HD_Pony_Bands.jpg
Except alot of people use a block attached to the tank, and a block attached to the pony, and the two slideinto each other and latch somehow. The picture shows a Zeagle setup, which might work better for traveling divers, not sure. I thnk slinging is best.

But, here is DiveRite's solution to that style of mounting:
DR Pony Tank Mount (http://www.diveriteexpress.com/gas/ponies.shtml)

And just so you know how, it'll cost about $25 for the hardware. You need a really long one of those things that is like a belt, with notches that is tightened with a wormgear. If you can cover it with something, that'll prevent scratching the tank, you can pay for one covered by nylon webbing, Dive Rite sells them. Get a 1 inch piece of clear tubing to go over the wormgear assembly. You need then a 1 inch webbing thing with a loop at one end, this goes over the valve, and has a clip on itself, this clips to your chest d ring on a BP/W or the equivalent on your BC. The other end of this webbing is tucked undernear the wormgear belt, and also has a clip, this attached to a side dring. I'm really bad at describing it, but here is the link with pictures from Dive Rite. They put a wrap over the tank rather than stickers, you don't need this. You can buy all of this stuff from Dive Rite, or other places. The other thing you need is something to wrap around the tank to hold hoses in place. DR sells them also, or you can use lots of things, like shock cord. This way the hose is stowed until you need it. A "pony" setup in the traditional, tank mounted system, I imagine would have the second stage deployed and clipped to your chest? The slung method with hose control keeps hoses out of the way, less hoses everywhere.
Pony or Stage setup (http://www.diveriteexpress.com/library/stageponyassembly.shtml)

Here is a link to some of the hardware:
Link1 (http://www.diveriteexpress.com/gas/straps.shtml)
There, the strap that runs along the tank is selling for $35, I think you can buy all of this cheaper elsewhere, or make it yourself. There is a link somewhere to a guy who gives directions on how to make one, but I cannot find it.

Krakenn
09-02-2007, 23:28
Thanks guys thats great info, alot easier to see the different ways you lads are positioning your redundancy when you throw in a few photos.

Again most appreciated

Kraks