PDA

View Full Version : Anyone use the Olympus 770 SW?

caroln
08-31-2007, 09:10
Just what the title says--is anyone using the Olympus 770 SW? I love the concept of this camera, shock proof, freeze proof, water proof, etc, and I love the small size, but it's pretty pricey, so I'd like to hear from someone who's used it in the real world to see if it lives up to expectations.

lovesmexico615
09-18-2007, 23:22
I have the 770-SW. I've used it snorkling and white water rafting with no problems. Just soak in fresh water after to get the salt off. Keep the gaskets dry and you'll have no problems. The only issue I'm beginning to think of is it's only rated to 10m. They have a housing for it that rates to 40m, but I'm not ready to shell out the cash.
-Amanda

BobArnold8265
09-19-2007, 08:13
I don't know if this will help since I don't own a 770 SW but I do own an Olympus C-8080 that I am very pleased with. It takes incredible pictures. I don't think you will regret buying an Olympus product !!!

subsur
09-19-2007, 10:36
olympus rep came to give a talk at our local school club. he demonstrated the shock-proofness of the camera. the next day we tested various Oly cameras in the water including the 770 one. it's ok. i'm SLR kinda guy so i don't care about point and shoot cameras but it was water proof to 30 feet had a nice design. i'm sure it can sustain quite an abuse.

ccarter
09-26-2007, 12:19
I bought one since I wanted a camera that I could use for mountain biking and other rough activities I do. I've taken a few pictures with it and they're pretty high quality.. I've heard people complain about the screen but I've got no complaints there except in really bright direct sunlight it's hard to see (duh). I haven't used it underwater and I just recently ordered the housing since I'm going to the Caymans in about 6 weeks.

I've owned a Canon A540 and Canon S3IS in the past and didn't really get as many pictures as I wanted out of them because I was always afraid of breaking them.. not so with this camera. I don't really notice the pictures being off less quality than the S3 which is a very nice camera.. but I'm not a huge photo.

rpowton
10-10-2007, 11:55
I have the 770SW and have been happy with it since buying it in the summer. I've used it for swimming & snorkling as well as seevral 40foot dives in the Dom.Rep and dives down to 60feet at Dutch Springs.
I've been very happy with it except that in bright sunshine you can't see the screen and it doesn't have a regular viewfinder.

I've the underwater housing which works perfectly and can be found online for a good price if you search around (at least a better price :smiley5:)

There are a ton of modes to play with, the resolution is great, it is small enough to fit in a pocket but powerful enough to do some fun shooting with. You do need to practice finding things in the menu though as it's not always intuitive underwater (or on a beach for that matter).

Robin

DiveSooner
10-23-2007, 20:45
We have a 770 SW and an Oly underwater housing PT-33. We used for the first time a few weeks ago in Bonaire. Works great, flash is fine as long as your within a few feet for best effect I am buying a strobe for it since I have been pleased with the proformance.