PDA

View Full Version : Talk to me Larry

WV Diver
08-31-2007, 10:35
http://www.scubatoys.com/store/detail.asp?product_id=Neo4_3FullM

Why is this so much cheaper than other comparable wetsuits? I need a new work wetsuit and looking for something cheap and durable. I had first thought I would go with the 3mm Henderson thermoprene for $160 then I found this. This is the cheapest I have ever seen for any brand in a like category and I like the 4mm torso for my type diving.

What's the deal? I still believe in the old adage "you get what you pay for" but I was intrigued by this suit. Compare and contrast them for me.

BTW, I need really durable knee pads for working on the bottom of rivers. Do the knee pads on either of these hold up?

Thanks in advance.

scubasamurai
08-31-2007, 12:35
i like to hear this response as well, i am in the market for one too.

ScubaToys Larry
08-31-2007, 12:40
Easy... They made a bunch of 4/3 suits - and they were not popular. Everyone wanted a 3 mil or a 5 mil... They thought one in between was a good idea - and it probably is, but the perception in the industry from the consumer standpoint is "I need a 3 mil for warm water" "I need a 5 mil for colder water" and no one ever says they need a 4 mil. So they didn't sell... So we bought their remaining stock at a discount and are sending the savings through.

loudgonzo
08-31-2007, 12:52
Easy... They made a bunch of 4/3 suits - and they were not popular. Everyone wanted a 3 mil or a 5 mil... They thought one in between was a good idea - and it probably is, but the perception in the industry from the consumer standpoint is "I need a 3 mil for warm water" "I need a 5 mil for colder water" and no one ever says they need a 4 mil. So they didn't sell... So we bought their remaining stock at a discount and are sending the savings through.

In that case....I NEED a Zeagle BC with the ripcord on the right. :smiley20:

ScubaToys Larry
08-31-2007, 13:19

They didn't make any of those... but there are some that I can get you a good deal on where the ripcord is on the top, and the zipper is on the bottom. The only problem is when you pull the cord - the weights go up and hit you in the head... So I don't think they'll sell them. :smiley36:

scubasamurai
08-31-2007, 13:25
well at least that is a valid explaination., like those big bright orange resuce BC's i see all the time on your site hahahah

creggur
08-31-2007, 13:36
I've got one of those 4/3's and it's perfect for spring diving - 72 degrees year round. The suit seems to be good quality, and I've had no problems with it.. I figure if I'm diving warmer water and it gets a little toasty I'll just pull the collar and let some water flush through...

I think it's a good all around thickness...YMMV

loudgonzo
08-31-2007, 13:50

They didn't make any of those... but there are some that I can get you a good deal on where the ripcord is on the top, and the zipper is on the bottom. The only problem is when you pull the cord - the weights go up and hit you in the head... So I don't think they'll sell them. :smiley36:

Darn those weights!:smilie39:

WV Diver
08-31-2007, 14:40
Okay Larry I may be getting one of them soon, but what about the kneepads, are they tough and durable? And does the 4mm portion extend down to just above the elbows and just above the knees?

scubasamurai
08-31-2007, 14:49
well when you do get it, let me know how it feels and how well the protection is on the knees. still looking for a good overall suit

kevinj1
08-31-2007, 15:29
Truthfully, i hve never heard of a 4mm suit. If you do get one, let us know how it is...

WV Diver
09-01-2007, 09:22
You still with me Larry?

ScubaToys Larry
09-01-2007, 10:00
You still with me Larry?

Sorry about that... It's kinda' hard to read every post out here! Always feel free to PM...

But to answer your question, the 4/3 suit has a standard glued on rubber knee pad. They seem to hold up fine for standard diving... but if you are going to be crawling around on your knees - I could not tell you for sure. You can always get some Aqua Seal (http://www.scubatoys.com/store/detail.asp?PRODUCT_ID=Gearcare) and glue on some extra neoprene off an old suit or something. I know some pool guys that do that. All day scrubbing the bottom of pools, so they will take a leg of an old suit, and cut a piece so then so they have a tube - and pull that over their knees. Or take a big piece and glue it over the existing pad.

WV Diver
09-01-2007, 10:19
You still with me Larry?

Sorry about that... It's kinda' hard to read every post out here! Always feel free to PM...

But to answer your question, the 4/3 suit has a standard glued on rubber knee pad. They seem to hold up fine for standard diving... but if you are going to be crawling around on your knees - I could not tell you for sure. You can always get some Aqua Seal (http://www.scubatoys.com/store/detail.asp?PRODUCT_ID=Gearcare) and glue on some extra neoprene off an old suit or something. I know some pool guys that do that. All day scrubbing the bottom of pools, so they will take a leg of an old suit, and cut a piece so then so they have a tube - and pull that over their knees. Or take a big piece and glue it over the existing pad.

Good idea thanks.

ScubaToys Larry
09-01-2007, 11:32
If you do that... just make the pad bigger than the leg... In other words, cut out a piece of thigh of one suit to put on the knee of the other or else it gets kinda hard to bend your knees.

WV Diver
09-01-2007, 13:01
If you do that... just make the pad bigger than the leg... In other words, cut out a piece of thigh of one suit to put on the knee of the other or else it gets kinda hard to bend your knees.

Sure I understand. Problably will wait till the original wears out before I do the patch.

loudgonzo
12-13-2007, 08:12
WV Diver, Did you order this suit and if so how are you liking it? Or what other suit did you go with if not this one?

WV Diver
12-13-2007, 08:15
I have not yet ordered this suit. I have put it into our budget and upon approval will order it soon. I hope they still have some when I get the ok to order.

loudgonzo
12-13-2007, 08:21
Good deal, I'm thinking about it also and was looking for a review. I've got a 3m shorty and can really only use it in the summer. Looking to get something to use earlier in the season.

WV Diver
12-13-2007, 08:37
I spend many hours a day in the water in temps in the 70's and have always used a 3mm with good success but a 4mm torso can never hurt.

CaptainRon
12-13-2007, 15:02
I bought this suit last month. Did a few dives with it in 72 degree water a couple of weeks ago and I thought it worked great. Seems to be good quality. I could have even went down a couple more degrees in water temp without problems. Could even go a little lower if you layered your 3 mm shorty over it. I'm planning to aquire a shorty for that purpose myself.

I like the extra core warmth the 4mm gives.

bjoseph
12-26-2007, 12:52
I just bought this suit. Jeez... I figure that for this price, it will make a great pool suit so that I don't have to subject my primary wetsuit to the effects of Chlorine!

You just can't beat a wetsuit at this price. Now if only they had an $80 drysuit....

therealtreehugger
12-26-2007, 13:54
Got any for womens?

chace_nicole
12-26-2007, 14:14
Got any for womens?

Neo Sport 4/3 Womens Full Wetsuit, Wetsuits: Women, Neosport, Neo Sport 4/3 Womens Full Wetsuit (http://scubatoys.com/store/detail.asp?product_id=Neo4_3FullW)

Looks like a great deal;)

hychang
12-27-2007, 08:04
Agreed!! I'll have to get one myself. $80 drysuit...wouldn't that be something. Maybe the folks at ST can develop such a product.

I You just can't beat a wetsuit at this price. Now if only they had an $80 drysuit....

mitsuguy
02-15-2008, 21:31
ordered mine today... will let ya know how it goes...

mitsuguy
02-22-2008, 20:33
well, got it next business day, no complaints there for sure... ST rocks...

I tried it on dry so far and it fits me great... 200 lbs, 6', 36" waist, 44" shoulders, except for one thing... the legs are long and the arms are long... I think it might just be the fact that I never got in the water and really got it situated, but it still seemed longer than I would have liked I think... Either way, it's a great deal at $85 minus 10%...

One other note - it doesn't have zippers on the legs, something I didn't even think about until I was putting it on...

Going diving with it next sunday, I'll report back then...

Black-Gorrilla
02-22-2008, 22:13
Agreed!! I'll have to get one myself. $80 drysuit...wouldn't that be something. Maybe the folks at ST can develop such a product.

I You just can't beat a wetsuit at this price. Now if only they had an $80 drysuit....

big black trash bags, with zip ties and duck tape for the seals and seams. let me know how it works out :lol:

scubajane
02-22-2008, 22:41

big black trash bags, with zip ties and duck tape for the seals and seams. let me know how it works out :lol:

what kind of undergarments do you wear with that?
newspapers and banana peels?

mitsuguy
03-03-2008, 09:17
alright, I can attest as well, this is a good wetsuit for low 70's / high 60's diving... just did an hour and half in the comal river - one dive computer said 71, the other said 72 degrees, and it was nice and warm... I even found myself flushing with water every once in a while to cool off... pretty sure I'd be good down to 65 if need be...

once in the water, it fit perfect, not too long in the arms like I thought...

WV Diver
06-30-2008, 11:02
Just got my new suit, finally, and I will follow up with reports when I get a chance to really try it out. So far I can say that the fit is good and probably pretty much true to size.

texarkandy
06-30-2008, 12:21
I got one for my skinny JOW in lieu of a new 3/2 - I worry about her getting chilled.

Price was right.

SlvrDragon50
07-26-2008, 23:56
So WV? How goes it?

I need a new wetsuit and this is at an amazing price

WV Diver
07-27-2008, 07:56
Well, I got the suit just as the water temps were beginning to rise so I can't really speak to the warmth of the suit untill fall. However, it fits well and seems to be good quality.

When I first opened it and tried it on I felt the arms were too tight and I was having trouble getting my arms all the way into the suit. After I used it the first time and got it nice and wet those issues no longer existed.

So more to follow, but all in all you can't beat the price. So far I think the suit has performed well and I don't expect any problems.

SlvrDragon50
07-27-2008, 12:13
Which size did you get?

I checked the sizing and the M is the correct height, but everything else is off :(

Rileybri
07-27-2008, 12:27
I have 20+ dives in my Neosport 5/7 one piece and have to say I am very happy with it. I am told the neoprene is not the highest quality but for the price is had to not get them! two :smiley20::smiley20: for me......

sravin1
07-28-2008, 10:40
I have 20+ dives in my Neosport 5/7 one piece and have to say I am very happy with it. I am told the neoprene is not the highest quality but for the price is had to not get them! two :smiley20::smiley20: for me......

I tried looking through the ST online catalog...could not see the 5/7 wetsuit. Did you buy it from ST?

andyrent
08-08-2008, 12:26
I just bought the 4/3 Neosport this week. I contacted Joe with my measurements as I am in between sizes on the chart. While I was waiting for a PM response I went to an LDS to try a Henderson on during my lunch hour, since the sizing charts are the same.

Came back from lunch and Joe had responded already, he confirmed with the size that I had just tried on and liked a lot.

I have been diving with a 2 mil shorty. A couple of the lakes that I dive in that are close to my house have a thermo cline at 20 ft, another one around 35 ft and I was getting a little cold. The surface is in the 80’s and it drops to the low 70’s/mid 60’s.

I bought based upon the user comments in this thread and on the price. The wetsuit will arrive today and I will post how it works in the next couple weeks.

ScubaToys Larry
08-08-2008, 13:08

I tried looking through the ST online catalog...could not see the 5/7 wetsuit. Did you buy it from ST?

I'm sure he means a 7/5, and we don't bother stock the neosport ones as the deal of the year on 7mil suits is the henderson thermoprenes we have Henderson Thermoprene 7mm Full Suit 2007 Mens BLUE ONLY, Wetsuits: Men, Henderson, Henderson Thermoprene 7mm Full Suit 2007 Mens BLUE ONLY (http://www.scubatoys.com/store/detail.asp?product_id=7mmHendersonThermopreneMensB lue) Nicer suit while they last! But of course - we can always order anything for you.

thesmoothdome
08-08-2008, 13:48

I'm sure he means a 7/5, and we don't bother stock the neosport ones as the deal of the year on 7mil suits is the henderson thermoprenes we have Henderson Thermoprene 7mm Full Suit 2007 Mens BLUE ONLY, Wetsuits: Men, Henderson, Henderson Thermoprene 7mm Full Suit 2007 Mens BLUE ONLY (http://www.scubatoys.com/store/detail.asp?product_id=7mmHendersonThermopreneMensB lue) Nicer suit while they last! But of course - we can always order anything for you.

Dang Larry. I was 1/2 way to clicking the "add to cart" button before I realized that I didn't need a 7mil suit. That price is almost too good to pass up.

Vegas
08-08-2008, 14:10
Dang Larry. I was 1/2 way to clicking the "add to cart" button before I realized that I didn't need a 7mil suit. That price is almost too good to pass up.

I went through a similar dilemma with the 7mm Pinnacle Elastaprene suit...
except for one little difference...
it arrived yesterday!
( it fits and I love it! )

WV Diver
08-09-2008, 07:26
Which size did you get?

I checked the sizing and the M is the correct height, but everything else is off :(

Sorry it has taken me so long to reply, it has been a busy summer.

I ordered a size large and as I said in a previous post I thought it was pretty tight in the arms but otherwise it fit well. I did not fit the size chart perfectly either and seldom do from any manufacturer, must be the big guns, massive pectorals and wide shoulders. :smilie39: Once I got it wet for the first time it was fine, no problems at all.

It has been a great suit so far and I will be able to tell more, as far as warmth, as fall approaches. Water temps are running in the 80's right now so the jury is still out.

WV Diver
11-05-2008, 06:41
The suit performed well and had all the thermal protection I expected. The threads are looking ragged but no problems with them. All and all I think this suit is a good value.

mitsuguy
11-05-2008, 06:47
The suit performed well and had all the thermal protection I expected. The threads are looking ragged but no problems with them. All and all I think this suit is a good value.

I concur... it's a great wetsuit especially for the price... mine doesn't look ragged at all - it probably has 30-40 dives on it so far... It is definitely warmer than my 3 mil Waterproof wetsuit.... The Waterproof is more flexible, however...