PDA

View Full Version : Embarassing experience

rednose83
11-05-2009, 09:07
So yesterday, I go to the LDS to return our rental tanks (AL 80 and 100). I had to return both mine and my husbands as he had a course at the university. The shop was closed but the owner was there because he has dive club meetings every Wednesday. On to my story

So, in I walk struggling to carry both tanks and hold the door open so I can get the tanks (and myself) through the door. As I'm struggling to get in, the men in the dive club are just staring at me- none of them even offered to hold the door!

Now, I don't mind that they didn't offer to carry my tanks or anything but damn they could have at least had the decency to not stare at me as I'm struggling with them. It was kind of embarrassing to be trying to carry the tanks back to where they go and have like 20 people watching you.

TJDiver
11-05-2009, 09:22
Evidently, there were no Southern gentlemen in the group...that would have constituted a group flogging in my neck of the woods. :smiley2:

Vercingetorix
11-05-2009, 09:23
Why was it embarrassing for you? It is they who should feel the shame.

rednose83
11-05-2009, 09:29

Because nobody wants to be watched when you are struggling with something. Common courtesy would be to at least look away.

fisheater
11-05-2009, 09:31
No gentlemen at all, southern, northern or western.

YOU shouldn't be embarassed. Their mothers should be embarassed. Their fathers, too.

ScottW
11-05-2009, 09:44
My wife would have simply set the tanks down and said "you guys are so kind to offer to carry these for me."

No Misses
11-05-2009, 09:49
Maybe they were struck stupid by your beauty.

unclepooty
11-05-2009, 09:56
NM, you are truly blessed with a silver tongue, and rednose, were I come from, your embarassment would have been from all the help offered.

Vercingetorix
11-05-2009, 10:04
Maybe they were struck stupid by your beauty.This, my friends, is a true southern gentleman.

.:smiley20:

awap
11-05-2009, 10:39
I also have trouble getting through the LDS door with 2 tanks. I carry 2 to the door, set them down to open the door, and move them inside one at a time. I have to do this quickly so one of the ladies working in the shop does not have to come and help.

scubagirlj
11-05-2009, 12:32
just goes to show, chivalry is indeed dead!

Vercingetorix
11-05-2009, 12:48
just goes to show, chivalry is indeed dead!Perhaps in some quarters. Perhaps with some men. But not all.

Nice attempt at trolling. 5/10:smilie39:

navyhmc
11-05-2009, 13:20
I know I wasn't there-aside from the fact that I'm 1600 miles west-as it doesn't matter if you're man or woman, it's my job as a fellow diver to give you a hand and if not carry one, at least open the door. I'm embarassed for them.

We have a young diver around here that has spina bifida that can't carry his tank up the hill from the water-usually his dad will either carry it up or go back down and bring it up. Since most of the time, I leave my doubles down by the water, I take it on myself to carry his tank up the hill for him. That's what true divers do-give a hand no questions asked.

Zenagirl
11-05-2009, 15:40
I was going to say that gender shouldn't matter here.....anyone in the shop, man or woman, should have offered to help...even better, jumped up to help. Rude people... :(

theduckguru
11-05-2009, 16:45
They were probably wondering why you didn't open the door, use a tank for a door stop, carry the rest through and remove the 1st tank.

snagel
11-05-2009, 18:13
I was in a dive shop a couple years ago - Tulsa, but can't remember the name of the place. I was just visiting the town and had time to kill so I stopped in. A similar thing happened. A couple guys were at the counter talking, one being somebody who worked there - maybe the owner and the other I think just there to shoot the bull. A young lady walked in carrying two tanks and also was having a time opening the door and carry the tanks. I walked over and opened the door and was gonna grab one of the tanks, but she darted through and put the tanks by the counter - said something and left. After she left one of the guys said something like, "I guess she wanted us to carry her tanks for her". The other guy commented that he wasn't going to carry everybody's tanks for them.

I actually was going to purchase a shirt and some small things, but decided to just set them down on a shelf and walked out the door. I wonder what they said about me when I left.

Snagel

Diver Kat
11-05-2009, 18:39
I was going to say that gender shouldn't matter here.....anyone in the shop, man or woman, should have offered to help...even better, jumped up to help. Rude people... :(
Exactly .... I think most of us women don't expect (or want) any guy to fall over himself and carry our stuff for us, but common courtesy should have had anyone there offering to hold the door open. Even more so, the employees of the shop should have been jumping to help. I just can't understand why some people are so rude these days ....

Splitlip
11-05-2009, 18:41
Maybe they were struck stupid by your beauty.This, my friends, is a true southern gentleman.

Except South Foridians are NOT "southern".

Tassie Diver
11-05-2009, 18:55
Can I play Devil's advocate... in these liberated times, might it be seen as sexist to offer to help a woman to carry something?

And as for watching, it's a group thing. Person walks through the door of a pub, everyone goes silent and stares at the new arrival.

Of course in Tassie, either the roller is open or closed... and the fill station is just inside the door. So no contending with a swinging door. And as soon as we know you're there, you already have the tanks at the fill station = win, win.

For the record, I would have asked if you wanted assistance...

rednose83
11-05-2009, 19:09
They were probably wondering why you didn't open the door, use a tank for a door stop, carry the rest through and remove the 1st tank.

I was using my butt to hold the door open while moving each tank into the shop. I never though to use a tank instead of my booty! Maybe next time.

Vercingetorix
11-05-2009, 19:09

:smiley20:

Except South Foridians are NOT "southern".Anybody south of the Mason-Dixon and knows the words to "Dixie" is a southerner ('cept them gol darn Yankees what come from New Yawk ever' winter).

Here in Texas, we got a sayin: A Yankee is a northerner who visits Texas. A damned Yankee is one that stays.

rednose83
11-05-2009, 19:10

Except South Foridians are NOT "southern".

Very true. We moved to North Carolina for a little while and they are so much more "Southern."

Splitlip
11-05-2009, 19:19
The Sixth Boroughs - New York Times (http://query.nytimes.com/gst/fullpage.html?res=940CE5D91439F93AA2575AC0A9629C8B 63&sec=&spon)=

petronius
11-05-2009, 19:24

I was using my butt to hold the door open while moving each tank into the shop. I never though to use a tank instead of my booty! Maybe next time.

Unless this is the only shop in town, there shouldn't be a next time in my opinion. I've had gear and tanks carried for me at both the local shops here and I'm a guy - not because I needed it but because as fellow divers we're supposed to be excellent to each other. Maybe it's the alcohol talking, but I'm actually a little pissed off here...

:)

navyhmc
11-05-2009, 19:27
Can I play Devil's advocate... in these liberated times, might it be seen as sexist to offer to help a woman to carry something?

I've solved that dilema: I figure I was brought up right and that is to be polite and help a lady. If they give me a harumph and throw down the feminist card, they are no longer a lady and are now categorized as female, human...So my obligation is now null and void so I am free to watch. But until that time, I will continue to be polite.

And siince I have no qualms about helping out a guy as well, I'm not being sexist!:smiley20:

John Yaskowich
11-05-2009, 21:03

I've solved that dilema: I figure I was brought up right and that is to be polite and help a lady. If they give me a harumph and throw down the feminist card, they are no longer a lady and are now categorized as female, human...So my obligation is now null and void so I am free to watch. But until that time, I will continue to be polite.

And siince I have no qualms about helping out a guy as well, I'm not being sexist!:smiley20:

"I act like a Gentleman, not because she is a Lady, but because I am a Gentleman."

Diver Kat
11-05-2009, 22:40
Anybody south of the Mason-Dixon and knows the words to "Dixie" is a southerner ('cept them gol darn Yankees what come from New Yawk ever' winter).

Here in Texas, we got a sayin: A Yankee is a northerner who visits Texas. A damned Yankee is one that stays. Born, raised and still proud to be a 'Damn' Yankee!! :smiley2:

And to be technically correct, Yankees are from the New England states - which does not include New York!

mrm777
11-05-2009, 22:40
"I act like a Gentleman, not because she is a Lady, but because I am a Gentleman."[/quote]

Well stated...............

Tassie Diver
11-06-2009, 02:52

+1

Well said, and I do, too. In fact, last weekend we lobbed back at the jetty after a day's diving and my buddy and I carried about five sets of tanks back up to the office while others (M+F) carried some of the lighter stuff. No biggie for us, we're younger/stronger/fitter (...and didn't want to do the emergency care when they fractured/strained/cardiac-ed.)

mitsuguy
11-06-2009, 04:42
Being as I work at a dive shop where we rent many tanks, I'll chime in here...

If a woman is carrying two tanks to the door of the shop (our tank drop off is outside the door), and someone notices she is having any sorts of trouble, then we offer to help, in fact, we almost demand to help. Same for a guy carrying tanks too though... But, if they're not having troubles, we may still offer, but not insist so much.

As many have mentioned, to let you (or anyone) struggle like that is just plain rude.

mulefeathers
11-06-2009, 07:26

Because nobody wants to be watched when you are struggling with something. Common courtesy would be to at least look away.

Common courtsey would for someone to pick up and tote the tanks.

Crimediver
11-06-2009, 07:45
I once got corrected by a woman for trying to help her with her tank. I also made the big mistake of attaching her reg. She interpreted my assistance as if I felt she was not up to the task. I knew she was more than capable as she had been a professional diver with NOAA. I was just being helpful but I learned my lesson. I like setting up my own gear as well.

It could be that no one offered to grab one of your two tanks as it would tend to throw you off balance. :smiley2:

navyhmc
11-06-2009, 07:46

Common courtsey would for someone to pick up and tote the tanks.

Totally true mulefeathers:smiley20:

And the half time score is The guys were dolts and shold have helped: 10

Neutral: 1

TJDiver
11-06-2009, 07:52

Ahhh...a little more insight on the issue...everyone knows men's thought processes are severely interruppted when a woman uses her booty. :smilie39:

Skred
11-06-2009, 08:10
When I hear stories like this, I'm the one who's embarassed. It's neanderthals like this that perpetuate the stereotype that the rest of us properly socialized guys have to bear.

Were their knuckles draggin' the ground?

Foo2
11-06-2009, 15:31
Anybody south of the Mason-Dixon and knows the words to "Dixie" is a southerner ('cept them gol darn Yankees what come from New Yawk ever' winter).

Here in Texas, we got a sayin: A Yankee is a northerner who visits Texas. A damned Yankee is one that stays. Born, raised and still proud to be a 'Damn' Yankee!! :smiley2:

And to be technically correct, Yankees are from the New England states - which does not include New York!

Hehe....I was taught anyone North of the Red River was a Yankee.

Diver Kat
11-06-2009, 16:22

LOL .... once met a guy from around here that thought anyone from North of Waco was a Yankee! :smiley36: (Of course he also was convinced Texas was bigger than Alaska....)

Zeagle Eagle
11-06-2009, 17:53

You're not a southerner either. You're a westerner! The line stops at Louisiana.

emt
11-06-2009, 18:23
The shop was closed.....has dive club meetings... 20 people watching...
I carry both tanks(AL 80 and 100)......

Sorry, but I guess I'm too weak to understand this as I never ever carry 2 tanks at one time of that size....I make two trips to the van to the shop. I too would be amazed seeing anyone doing that especially a woman. My advise is be safe & only carry one tank of 80 or larger to help prevent the odds of an accident, those things are heavy & bulky...Haste makes waste............................................. .Sorry no dive club people did not jump up to help.

CompuDude
11-06-2009, 18:34
The shop was closed.....has dive club meetings... 20 people watching...
I carry both tanks(AL 80 and 100)......

Sorry, but I guess I'm too weak to understand this as I never ever carry 2 tanks at one time of that size....I make two trips to the van to the shop. I too would be amazed seeing anyone doing that especially a woman. My advise is be safe & only carry one tank of 80 or larger to help prevent the odds of an accident, those things are heavy & bulky...Haste makes waste............................................. .Sorry no dive club people did not jump up to help.

You clearly never met the porters in Bali. Little women half my size scooped up two fully rigged tanks (including BCs and regs... with weights inserted) and carried them over 1/2 mile of rocky beach to the dive site (wearing thin flipflops). I've seen them carry three tanks at a time without flinching.

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2414/2371674961_05caed7e7a.jpg

That said, someone should have at least offered to help. If not the rude customers, the people who worked there, whose job it is to assist customers.

emt
11-06-2009, 18:54
Your right, I've not met them...lol....Do they juggle, carry cars, etc.???lol

Yes, I would be stunned and amazed seeing her doing that.

A good time to hear of this, I'm presently watching Smallville on TV.... Superman (Clark just found out his dad was on earth all this time) The CW...
I'm a wimp,,,, One tank per trip over 80 cu

Lulubelle
11-06-2009, 19:30
So yesterday, I go to the LDS to return our rental tanks (AL 80 and 100). I had to return both mine and my husbands as he had a course at the university. The shop was closed but the owner was there because he has dive club meetings every Wednesday. On to my story

So, in I walk struggling to carry both tanks and hold the door open so I can get the tanks (and myself) through the door. As I'm struggling to get in, the men in the dive club are just staring at me- none of them even offered to hold the door!

Now, I don't mind that they didn't offer to carry my tanks or anything but damn they could have at least had the decency to not stare at me as I'm struggling with them. It was kind of embarrassing to be trying to carry the tanks back to where they go and have like 20 people watching you.

I'm with Zena. This is a genderless and geographic-less (OK, I know it isn't a word people) issue. These people were simply rude. I would have jumped up to help you, and I'm a girl. Heck, when chicken arrived at Olympus after a 9 hour drive, I grabbed one of his tanks to carry it, I figured he was tired after the drive. It is called being a decent human being. :smiley20:

As for southern gentleman, God bless them all, we love you. But I have found that gentleman and ones who are not exist everywhere. It is more dependent on what role models they had and their personal character. I remember moving to Indiana and the men there would not get on the elevator until the ladies had gotten on. I was right at home. And my two best male friends are damn Yankees, and are the ultimate gentlemen.

So here's to gentleman of all flavors, :smiley20:, and to the rest of you, get lost :smiley36:

mitsuguy
11-06-2009, 20:34
You clearly never met the porters in Bali. Little women half my size scooped up two fully rigged tanks (including BCs and regs... with weights inserted) and carried them over 1/2 mile of rocky beach to the dive site (wearing thin flipflops). I've seen them carry three tanks at a time without flinching.

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2414/2371674961_05caed7e7a.jpg

That said, someone should have at least offered to help. If not the rude customers, the people who worked there, whose job it is to assist customers.

My record is two sets of gear and two cylinders... wear one bc normally, one on the front of your chest, then one tank in each hand... works well, for short distances at least...

navyhmc
11-06-2009, 21:17
I've done a Tank/BC set up, two spares on shoulders and weights and dive bad also on shoulders-but that was years ago...

SEMO Scuba
11-06-2009, 21:25

Ahhh...a little more insight on the issue...everyone knows men's thought processes are severely interruppted when a woman uses her booty. :smilie39:

Kind of what I thought. Maybe they were studying your 'doorstop'.:smiley36:

Regardless of gender someone should have offered to help either by holding the door or carrying one of the tanks.

Splitlip
11-06-2009, 21:37
Sorry guys. I will delete as soon as I cn access my hard drive.

about 12 chestnuts
2 ounces ****ake mushrooms, sliced into thin ½ inch long strips
1 cup cold water
6 ounces (1 and 1/2 sticks) margarine
1 and 1/2 cups onions, chopped
1 cup celery, chopped
1 cup green bell peppers, chopped
1 teaspoon garlic,minced
1 cup very fine dry bread crumbs
2 tablespoon unsalted butter, softened
1/2 cup green onions, chopped
1/2 cup parsley, finely mincedCover chestnuts with boiling water. Set aside for about 1/2 an hour. When fully hydrated, drain and chop roughly.

Set the oven for 350 F (177 C).

Melt 4 tablespoons of the margarine in a large skillet over high heat. When margarine is almost melted, add the frissade (sliced) mushrooms, and saute for about 1 minute. Remove mushroom with a slotted spoon, leaving as much of the margarine in the pan as possible, and reserve to the side.

Add 3/4 cup of the onions, 1/2 cup each of the celery and bell peppers. Saute over high heat until onions are dark brown but not burned, about 8 minutes, stirring frequently.

When onions are browned, stir 2 teaspoons of the seasoning mix and the garlic into the skillet. Reduce heat to medium and continue cooking for 5 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add the remaining 3/4 cup onions, 1/2 cup celery, 1/2 cup bell peppers and 1 stick margarine, and 1/4 cup of the green onions, 1/4 cup of the parsley, and the bay leaves. Stir until margarine is melted.

Continue cooking about 10 minutes, stirring occasionally. Stir in the remaining seasoning mix and enough bread crumbs to make a moist but not runny dressing. Stir in chestnuts and mushrooms and cook for another minute. Remove from heat. Spoon dressing into an un-greased baking pan and bake for 30 minutes. Remove from oven, discard bay leaves and stir in the butter and the remaining 1/4 cup each green onions and parsley.

navyhmc
11-06-2009, 21:43
What the heck Split, keep it up...looks good and it makes folks wonder what's going on....:smiley36::smiley20:

Splitlip
11-06-2009, 22:03
ROFL. :smilie39:

MConnelly2
11-06-2009, 22:06

That's pretty much the norm I'm used to. If someone looks like they could use a hand, you give them a hand. You don't just offer so they can tell you they're fine, you get your @$$ in gear and help. Jumping up to help a woman carry stuff is chivalry. Jumping up to help someone that could use help, whether they're man or woman, is just plain basic human decency.

Splitlip
11-06-2009, 22:07
it is Friday. We had a few cocktails, but I can't figure out how many bay leaves, nor the seasoning mix.

Thanksgiving approaches.

Splitlip
11-06-2009, 22:09

That's pretty much the norm I'm used to. If someone looks like they could use a hand, you give them a hand. You don't just offer so they can tell you they're fine, you get your @$$ in gear and help. Jumping up to help a woman carry stuff is chivalry. Jumping up to help someone that could use help, whether they're man or woman, is just plain basic human decency.
Oh crap. Forgot about the OP.
Yeah, I agree. Get a BPW, ditch the snorkel and split fins will kill ya.

Now..how many bay leaves and what seasoning?

petronius
11-06-2009, 23:45

about 12 chestnuts
1 cup cold water
1 cup celery, chopped
1 teaspoon garlic,minced
1/2 cup parsley, finely mincedCover chestnuts with boiling water. Set aside for about 1/2 an hour. When fully hydrated, drain and chop roughly.

Melt 4 tablespoons of the margarine in a large skillet over high heat. When margarine is almost melted, add the frissade (sliced) mushrooms, and saute for about 1 minute. Remove mushroom with a slotted spoon, leaving as much of the margarine in the pan as possible, and reserve to the side.

Add 3/4 cup of the onions, 1/2 cup each of the celery and bell peppers. Saute over high heat until onions are dark brown but not burned, about 8 minutes, stirring frequently.

When onions are browned, stir 2 teaspoons of the seasoning mix and the garlic into the skillet. Reduce heat to medium and continue cooking for 5 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add the remaining 3/4 cup onions, 1/2 cup celery, 1/2 cup bell peppers and 1 stick margarine, and 1/4 cup of the green onions, 1/4 cup of the parsley, and the bay leaves. Stir until margarine is melted.

Continue cooking about 10 minutes, stirring occasionally. Stir in the remaining seasoning mix and enough bread crumbs to make a moist but not runny dressing. Stir in chestnuts and mushrooms and cook for another minute. Remove from heat. Spoon dressing into an un-greased baking pan and bake for 30 minutes. Remove from oven, discard bay leaves and stir in the butter and the remaining 1/4 cup each green onions and parsley.

So a woman posts about being treated discourteously, and you offer her a recipe? Subtle, dude, very subtle... :rofl:

(As for the recipe: CTRL-A, CTRL-C, CTRL-V... mmmmm!)

CompuDude
11-06-2009, 23:50
Sorry, Split, no mushrooms for me, thanks. I don't do fungus.

And where's the meat? You left out part of the recipe.

navyhmc
11-07-2009, 01:33
It's stuffing CD! You put this in your choice of meats. Usually Turkey, but I've used something close in pork loin and chicken breasts. Good stuff Maynard!

Lone Frogman
11-07-2009, 03:42

1 lb ground sausage
1 cup cold water
1 cup celery, chopped
1 teaspoon garlic,minced
1/2 cup parsley, finely minced
6 pack 12 oz beer

Its ok to start with cold beer first.

Brown sausage in frying pan and drain fat

Continue cooking about 10 minutes, stirring occasionally. Stir in the remaining seasoning mix and enough bread crumbs to make a moist but not runny dressing. Stir in sausage and mushrooms and cook for another minute. Remove from heat. Spoon dressing into an un-greased baking pan and bake for 30 minutes. Remove from oven, discard bay leaves and stir in the butter and the remaining 1/4 cup each green onions and parsley.

I Fixed it. I can't live on chestnuts got have some meat in my meat. CD just substitute the mushrooms for sausage and you'll be good to go.
I guess I just woke up hungry, I'm going to cook breakfast now.

Splitlip
11-07-2009, 07:16
Yup. It is for turkey, but I always do stuffing outside the turkey. ~"dressing" I guess. Safer. I fill the bird's cavity with onions, oranges etc.

And the reason I like this one I can sub for the 2 main ingredients.

Uh, I mean I have my wife do it!

Zeagle Eagle
11-07-2009, 10:44
My girlfriend carries my tanks for me. It allows me to keep my hands free in case I have to defend her.:smiley30:

petronius
11-07-2009, 10:47
My girlfriend carries my tanks for me. It allows me to keep my hands free in case I have to defend her.:smiley30:

If by "defend" you mean 'cop a feel every time she turns her back', then that's the way it is in our household, too... ;)

Zeagle Eagle
11-07-2009, 10:47

Zena girl is correct!

musicpeacemaker
11-07-2009, 20:36

Sounds like to me they need to learn manners. They could of held the door open for you and help carry the tanks. So much for men being of much use. They should be ashamed of themselves.

musicpeacemaker
11-11-2009, 18:03
I also have trouble getting through the LDS door with 2 tanks. I carry 2 to the door, set them down to open the door, and move them inside one at a time. I have to do this quickly so one of the ladies working in the shop does not have to come and help.So much for good customer service:smiley21:

musicpeacemaker
11-14-2009, 20:15
Make those damn yankeees for Florida as well:smiley20:

Except South Foridians are NOT "southern".Anybody south of the Mason-Dixon and knows the words to "Dixie" is a southerner ('cept them gol darn Yankees what come from New Yawk ever' winter).

Here in Texas, we got a sayin: A Yankee is a northerner who visits Texas. A damned Yankee is one that stays.

GoldHillDave
11-18-2009, 17:04
Here in the People's Republic of Boulder (Colorado) a man would be castigated as a sexist for offering to help a woman!

navyhmc
11-19-2009, 10:40
I've had that happen there GHD! My reply was "Well, ma'am if being polite is sexist, then by god, I'm sexist!"

scubajane
11-27-2009, 21:41

about 12 chestnuts
1 cup cold water
1 cup celery, chopped
1 teaspoon garlic,minced

didn't you mean to post that on the thread killer thread??