PDA

View Full Version : Looking to buy a BC

Mtrewyn
08-31-2007, 11:52
What are the thoughts on BC's?

I'm Shopping for one, and so far I like the Zegal Ranger, or the Aries Atmos xt.

Does anyone have thoughts on these? Or another one that I might try?

So far I've done mostly warm water dives, in the local lakes, but I am diving alot, and have trips planed for the next year to both the south.(Mexico, BVI, caymans, etc), and next summer I'm going to northern Canada, and am going to try to dive there also, (that would most likely be a dry suit dive)

It's hard to get unbiased thoughts about things like this from a dive shop, they only want to sell what they stock and that is not always the best fit.

thanks for any help you give.

Sasha_K
08-31-2007, 11:58
Check out the vendor specific forum on this site. ScottZeagle is really good on the Zeagle side

http://forum.scubatoys.com/forumdisplay.php?f=50

Mtrewyn
08-31-2007, 12:00
thanks

No Misses
08-31-2007, 12:01
I have tried the Zeagle Ranger and it is a good BC. It's well made and modular. This makes it fit better and most repairs can be accomplished by replacing parts instead of shipping the whole thing in. I have no experience with the Aeris. I currently dive with bp/w. With your current level of experience, I suggest that you try out several different configurations (rent) until you make up your mind. What works well for someone else, may not be best for you. I hope this helps.

Mtrewyn
08-31-2007, 12:08
thanks for the info.

Is the spring I'm headed down to Destin, any good referances for dive sights, shops, charters things like that?

ReefHound
08-31-2007, 12:13
If you have any tech aspirations go ahead and get a backplate/wings setup from the beginning.

If not or if you prefer the jacket BC for now, at least get a back inflation model. I know people who are very pleased with the Scubapro Knighthawk. Zeagle also gets rave reviews on many of their models.

scootermcfly
08-31-2007, 12:20
I have the Aries Atmos xt and really like it, plenty of room, D-Rings, and very sturdy construction. My brother bought the same one after seeing mine and checking it all out. I then went and bought the accessory kit for it that is a nice light, bag, and knife.

Scooter McFly

ScubaToys Larry
08-31-2007, 12:21
We used to sell the knighthawks, and sitting side by side with the Zeagle - where people could come touch, compare features, quality and price - it's a pretty staggering number. In our store - for walk in sales only - Zeagle out sold the knighthawk by 1268 to 9 in a one year time.

Lifetime warranty, component design, the ability to custom fit and swap out parts, much more pocket space - etc.

But there is that person every now and then that does prefer the scubapro.

From a profit standpoint - since scubapro has their price fixed and doesn't allow discounting - it would have been more beneficial for us to sell them - but the customer normally would take the zeagle features - especially for the price.

BSea
08-31-2007, 12:27
I used to have a ranger/brigade, but switched to a BP/W and sold my brigade because it was just collecting dust.

There is a pretty good thread here if you want to know more: http://forum.scubatoys.com/showthread.php?t=2452

ReefHound
08-31-2007, 13:00
To be honest, the two people I know offhand with the Knighthawk probably got them at keyman price at the shop where they work, and that shop doesn't stock Zeagle. So maybe they are "happy" with it because they have to be. Ha ha.

Zenagirl
08-31-2007, 13:04
The Zeagle goes from warm to cold water without difficulty. Great quality construction and outstanding customer service from their headquarters in Florida (and from ST if you buy it from them at their great prices!).

Personally, I don't like a BP/W because to me the webbing is uncomfortable, the backplate digs into my lower back sometimes, the crotch straps make me crazy, and frankly I find them to be pretty darned uncomfortable (and YES, it was fitted correctly by a tech guy...it just wasn't for me).

So I'm sticking with my Zeagle.

ReefHound
08-31-2007, 13:14
Zena, at least you can say you gave it a shot.

creggur
08-31-2007, 13:40
I have the Brigade(Ranger harness with a smaller bladder), and from a quality standpoint I just don't see how you can beat it. The thing is really built like a tank. I looked at a lot of BCD's before buying, and I never saw one that compared to the Zeagle's construction. Some of them were way more expensive...

Good luck on your search..

Charles R
08-31-2007, 13:51
I had an Atmos XT and sold it when I moved to my BP/W it was a good BC just a bit bulky and did not fit with my aspirations of doing wreck penatrations so I opted to switch to a BP/W

scubasamurai
08-31-2007, 14:36
try alot of them out and see what fits you!! take your time buying one. nothing sucks than getting stuck with a bc that you really don;'t like. it took me about a yr ( go ahead and make fun of me) to find the right one. i wasn;t in a rush and tried many on during my ocean dives.

Zenagirl
08-31-2007, 16:49
Scubasamurai, that's just the smart way of doing it. You weren't lucky in that you hit upon what you liked quickly, but nobody can say you weren't smart for being persistant. :D

Thanks Reefhound, after reading how "perfect" the Bp/w configuration is I thought perhaps I was missing something....in my case, I wasn't. ;)

Hemlon
08-31-2007, 17:07
I have a Zeagle BC and I love it. Mine is the Zeagle Zena. It's 2 years old now and it looks brand new despite having withstood lots of use.

CrzyJay456
08-31-2007, 18:00
i dive zeagle, and plan on it for a long time. i have an older model BC that does the job... has pockets, weight intergrated, and comfortable for me, not too bulky, what else can i ask for?