PDA

View Full Version : what an instructor has taught you

scubasamurai
08-31-2007, 13:18
ok ok, i thought this would be a fun one, what is the most single important thing your instructor taught you that has stuck in you head forever???

me it was . besides breathing, always trust your compass in dark water.

ok let the fun begin hahaha:smilie39:

rfreddo
08-31-2007, 13:25
I once had a skydiving instructor tell me that if you hit the ground without an open parachute, you'll be fine as long as you grab on and hold on tight to the grass when you hit. Apparently the first hit only breaks all the bones, it's the second hit after you bounce when the broken bones puncture all of the vital organs. No matter what you do, just don't bounce!

Oh wait . . . this is the scuba forum. Sorry bout that! :D

Charlotte Smith
08-31-2007, 13:39
Never hold your breath! I used to have a problem with that when I didn't want my bubbles to get in the way.....

mm_dm
08-31-2007, 13:54
How to use a underwater sextant...then I could do underwater mapping.

scubasamurai
08-31-2007, 14:27
I once had a skydiving instructor tell me that if you hit the ground without an open parachute, you'll be fine as long as you grab on and hold on tight to the grass when you hit. Apparently the first hit only breaks all the bones, it's the second hit after you bounce when the broken bones puncture all of the vital organs. No matter what you do, just don't bounce!

Oh wait . . . this is the scuba forum. Sorry bout that! :D

i gotta love this quote, what a comedian!!! you must have hit quite a few times!!!!:smilie39::smilie39::smilie39::smilie39:: smilie39::smilie39::smilie39::smilie39:

dallasdivergirl
08-31-2007, 15:20
Clearing my ears every foot, not going down head first.

blueblood
08-31-2007, 15:22
After boat diving, never attempt to refiill the gas tank by placing the fill hose in the rod holder.

chinacat46
08-31-2007, 15:43
A good time to keep your mouth shut is when you're in deep water.

scubasamurai
08-31-2007, 18:52
i hope to get some more , but these are pretty funny

in_cavediver
08-31-2007, 19:51
The best thing is exactly where the sun doesn't shine. Now I know where to stick things!

ertechsg
08-31-2007, 20:05
If you drop your reg...Grab your rear get your gear.. not sur way that sticks with me:smiley2:

reservecops
08-31-2007, 22:58
The single most important thing my instructor taught me was: STOP, THINK, then ACT.

No matter WHAT is happening, stay calm.

No matter what happens (equipment problems, buddy problems, environment problems), as long as you can BREATHE, you can get through ANYTHING. Short of an OOA situation, you can resolve nearly ANY problem without panicing and bolting for the surface.

Divegirl
08-31-2007, 23:03
Keep my hands to myself, and don't play with the BULL SEALION.

pnevai
09-01-2007, 00:50
A scuba hand signal. Point at another diver, next form your hand into a O (like th OK sign but all fingers towards the thumb) facing the diver, next wag your index finger in the come here gesture.

This tanslates to YOU (pointing) Ahole (The O sign) Come Here! (The wagging finger)

ScubaGir1
09-01-2007, 01:38
Never leave your mask on your forehead, or tank standing up (unless you're right there with it), otherwise you owe her a rootbeer :) LOL

And... my boyfriend's open water instructor said:
"Its normal to have snot coming out of your nose after a dive. But you better be watching your buddy and tell him/her, b/c if I have to tell him/her YOU owe me a beer!"

Zenagirl
09-01-2007, 07:32
I agree with Reservecops, STOP, THINK, and ACT.

Capt Hook
09-01-2007, 08:21
Deep full inhales and exhales.

PlatypusMan
09-01-2007, 08:24
Always be working on your buoyancy, no matter how many dives you have. The idea is to float along, not gasp along.

Most divers are heavily overweighted, and gasp along as a result.

scubasamurai
09-01-2007, 08:29
cool, at least the instructors are making a good ( maybe in some cases) a good impression

Xspect
09-01-2007, 09:30
Never travel too far away from your buddy. They are your buddy for a reason

Kingpatzer
09-01-2007, 09:37
Most often your instinctive reaction will kill you, don't follow it!

That and -- a DM certification means you've learned enough to start learning how to dive, not that you know anything. If you ever go out and don't learn something, you've either stopped trying or you've stopped thinking, and either way you've become a danger to yourself and others.

Vegas
09-04-2007, 17:27
I don't know if this is the single MOST important thing, as he has taught me way more than I could possibly list in a single day.... but a big one was:

It's the NEW piece of gear that will give you trouble.
Try out new gear, one new piece at a time, in calm familiar conditions, with a buddy with you that can give you a hand if it gives you a problem.

wxboy911
09-04-2007, 18:37
If you are snorkeling out to a dive site remember to put the regulator in your mouth before you descend...the kind of mistake you only make once and hope your buddy is not watching.