PDA

View Full Version : Scotch or Whiskey for a gift?

loudgonzo
08-31-2007, 13:59
I don't drink hard liquor, save a shot of tequila every now and then. But my best friend is getting married in October, and I'm thinking about giving him a bottle of Scotch or Whiskey. What would be a nice bottle for a gift, something he could break out for special occasions?

DUnder
08-31-2007, 14:01
Crown Royal is good

Charlotte Smith
08-31-2007, 14:02
I don't drink hard liquor, save a shot of tequila every now and then. But my best friend is getting married in October, and I'm thinking about giving him a bottle of Scotch or Whiskey. What would be a nice bottle for a gift, something he could break out for special occasions?

Crown Royal is ALWAYS a good choice.....:smiley20:

loudgonzo
08-31-2007, 14:10
I saw a john walker bottle at the liquor store in a cabinet that was in a velvet case and all, real nice, but it cost about $180!! Thought about it, but I'm thinking more along the lines of...under $100. How much is the crown royal? I'll look for it after work today.

Capt Hook
08-31-2007, 14:36
Gotta second the Crown Royal.

Or if he drinks bourbon get him a bottle of Nobs Hill.

TopSully
08-31-2007, 14:38
something like an old Tullamore Dew

Kingpatzer
08-31-2007, 15:04
I'm a big fan of the Speyside single malts. A bottle of Macallen 24 year is a gift any scotch lover would covet. A little lower on the price list would be a Glenmorangie 18, which are found just about anywhere.

For a more discerning purchase, get something hard to find, like Lagavulin, it's a nice Islay with a ton of character.

Hex92
08-31-2007, 15:28
What does your friend like? I drink pretty much anything, but I do NOT like scotch. The smoky peat taste is not my cup of tea, but I like Irish whiskey which has the same ingredients, but without the peat smoke.

So if your friend doesn't like scotch and you buy him an $80 bottle of the stuff....that is a pretty crappy gift.

Jaymeany
08-31-2007, 15:36
If he's Irish get him a bottle of Jameson's whiskey! I love that stuff!

loudgonzo
08-31-2007, 15:37
What does your friend like? I drink pretty much anything, but I do NOT like scotch. The smoky peat taste is not my cup of tea, but I like Irish whiskey which has the same ingredients, but without the peat smoke.

So if your friend doesn't like scotch and you buy him an $80 bottle of the stuff....that is a pretty crappy gift.

He likes scotch, I don't know which one. When I talk to him, he'll sometimes mention he's about to serve himself some scotch or a comment to that effect. So my intention is to buy him a bottle of the stuff. I don't know what the differences are between them, taste and all that I'm sure. But I just wanted some opinions on what would be a "nice" bottle of scotch.

ertechsg
08-31-2007, 15:43
crown reserve

scuba Widow
08-31-2007, 16:04
Liquor is something that is a matter of taste...unless you know the exact brand that your friend likes it won't matter what you buy. If it were me receiving the gift I would prefer a gift card from the your local liquor store, that way he and his new bride can go and enjoy picking out something they both would like....that way she feels included in your choice of gifts, but don't forget to get a nice card too.

georoc01
08-31-2007, 16:23
The bottles I covet are the ones that I have picked up or friends have picked up from local distillery. You can get a bottle of Crown anywhere. But bottles like the McAllen 24 that was mentioned previously are more rare and thus for me enjoyed and savored over a longer period of time. I also have vintage bottles of Jack Daniels that I picked up in Tenessee, and on my trips to the caribbean I love to pick up the local rums or tequillas from Mexico.

that way when I serve it its on special occasions and discussions of the trip.

chinacat46
08-31-2007, 17:23
Remy Martin XO or Courvoisier XO

BuzzGA
08-31-2007, 18:33
If he is a scotch drinker stay away from Johnny Walker...its a blend not a true single malt. A couple of good ones, try to find Talisker Distillers Edition. Talisker is the only distiller on the Isle of Skye in the Highlands and this special edition is aged in sherry barrels...very nice. A little easier to find is Old Pulteney

scubasamurai
08-31-2007, 19:12
johnny walker blue very smooth scotch, but a little on the pricey side unless your in the island and it should be around 50 bucks.

Krakenn
08-31-2007, 19:17
Why not get him a bottle of Johnnie Walker Black in a 4 litre bottle in a wire cradle. That way he will always think of you when he has a drink it will be something that he keeps and refills.

Alternatively a bottle of Johnnie Walker Blue would be appreciated.

http://www.aussiewines.com.au/Capt.php

Kraks

Suther2136
08-31-2007, 19:38
If he really like fine hooch, then find out his fav from the bride to be and go for it. A single malt from the old country might just fill the bill. Glen Fiddich scotch wiskey

Texas Girl
09-01-2007, 11:12
We just got back from Scotland and did a tour/tasing at Glenlivet. Get the 12 or 18 year old single malt.

Splitlip
09-01-2007, 11:47
Scotch drinker. A nice single malt. You can be creative and find a unique label for special occasiona.

Skinsfan1311
09-02-2007, 10:48
Bring 'em over to the dark side. Maker's Mark

TxScubaBear
09-02-2007, 11:07
Chivas...

greyzen
09-02-2007, 11:22
Crown Royal is tastey.. but it's a freaking 17 dollar bottle that you learn in High School!

If your friend is a scotch or whiskey drinker, they would appreciate a better bottle I think. Crown is more what you mix with cola on the weekends with your buddies, not something you 'break out' for an occasion.

At least start around
http://randalls.stores.yahoo.net/mb810444.html

Or if you want a good Whiskey, Jameson is always good
www.jamesonwhiskey.com

They have prices that range from 30 - couple hundred.

wkowalski
09-02-2007, 11:23
Glenmorangie with a Burgundy finish (my favorite) or Glenroth Scotch.

dmdoss
09-02-2007, 19:14
Dont see how you could go wrong with crown.

scubasamurai
09-02-2007, 19:26
Dont see how you could go wrong with crown.

the same reason why you have you ask on your head :smilie39:.

Manny-R
09-02-2007, 20:05
depends on how good the receiver is... but i opt for a nice bottle of Blue Label (for that reallly good friend) , like your best friend that is gonna have his funeral, i mean, wedding...

a bottle of crown is a cheappy highschool/college drink. skip that idea.

the blue label will cost you about 180-200.

if you want cheaper, Gold label, very good, well blended flavor.

danielh03
09-03-2007, 01:39
Ok, lets get the record set strait, Johnny Walker, red or black, it doesn't matter. Crown is what you give your best friends wife, and Makers Mark is what you give to the guy you want to see hung over the next day lol!

loudgonzo
09-03-2007, 16:05
Thanks for all replies and suggestions, in the end I broke down and handed over 2 $100 dollar bills and 1 $20 dollar bill to the clerk for a bottle of johny walker blue label. He only handed me back a $5 and some pocket change.:smiley21:

I didn't want to spend a lot of money to begin with, but what the hell?! He's only getting married once, we hope, and he's been an all around good guy. I did consider the Crown royal, but it just seemed like it was too common, and i wanted something more special. Now I don't know if the liquor store clerk fed me a bunch of bull$!*t, but the blue label seemed to fit the bill, but it sure does not fit the wallet.

thanks again,

-if he opens the bottle and i'm not there, i'm finding a new best friend:smiley36:

Manny-R
09-03-2007, 16:08
good choice! he's gonna love it.
it's the best.

scuba Widow
09-03-2007, 18:32
Good choice...hopefully he will share.

Boris42
09-28-2007, 08:12
Johnny Blue is a great blend! Very classy.

But in fact I read of a blind taste test where Johnny Red won the day over a wide variety of blends. Go figure.

ls1mtz
09-28-2007, 08:50
http://www.crownroyal.com/xr/about/ <---- That's where it's at when it comes to Crown. The Extra Rare, it's a couple hundred dollars and comes with a nice red velvet bag. I haven't tried it yet but have siped on the Crown Reserve on the rocks a few times and it was much nicer than the standard Crown which has to be used with a mixer to taste good.

drdiver
09-28-2007, 10:02
I'd recommend the 18 year old Buchanan's. One of the best and unappreciated blends out there. I discovered it in South America where it is much more popular.

tbush
09-28-2007, 14:52
any 12yr.single malt is probably a good bet

meesier42
09-30-2007, 19:43
I go for Bourbon personnally, but thats not for everyone

scuba Widow
09-30-2007, 20:48
It really depends on the occasion.

Scuba-Bill
09-30-2007, 21:02
johnny walker blue very smooth scotch, but a little on the pricey side unless your in the island and it should be around 50 bucks.

Please, which island??? The best I could find abroad was $144 and stateside it is over $200.

Thanks,

Anne Eastwell
10-01-2007, 19:39
We've got some great scotch's in Australia, don't know if you have them though... try Chivas Regal. We also love Canadian Club (vintage or 40 year old... ), it comes in a box and is more expensive than the regular version but worth the extra dollars.

ScubaJenn81
10-02-2007, 05:39
You are a good friend

zane2392
10-02-2007, 13:39
Jameson is the way to go if he likes Irish whiskey, smoooooth

tbuckalew
10-02-2007, 18:04
I'm a big fan of the Speyside single malts. A bottle of Macallen 24 year is a gift any scotch lover would covet. A little lower on the price list would be a Glenmorangie 18, which are found just about anywhere.

For a more discerning purchase, get something hard to find, like Lagavulin, it's a nice Islay with a ton of character.

Have to agree here - but you would make the decision easier if you found what he liked to drink. I'm a single-malt Scotch person myself, but don't mind an Irish whiskey every once in a while (I think someone mentioned Jamison).

If going for Scotch, go for a single malt and not a blended scotch (they can be harsh at times, like Johnny Walker Gold, Green, and Blue labels - yes, I am invited to JW tastings and have tried them all!) A good bottle won't run $100 - but you can always spend more....

loudgonzo
10-03-2007, 09:38
Thanks again to all for the suggestions. His wedding is this Saturday and we're all looking forward to it. So the bottle of blue label is wrapped up and ready, for his soon to be wife, my wife got her an all day spa at some place.

From reading all the replies, I now want to find out what all these taste like. I'm more of a beer drinker, Negra Modelo, and the only spirit I drink is Tequila. So I read there are single malts and others are blended, what's the difference...taste...bitter....I don't know, but now that's on my to try list.

I plan on trying some of these suggestions out at a restaurant or bar, since I'm not going to spend money for a bottle of something I might not like, so for my taste testing, is it better to:

-order a shot of each one
-order a shot of each one with ice
-mix it with soda, or juice

Diverdude
10-03-2007, 10:22
Well, do you want to shoot it or sip it? Scotchs are usually sipped where whiskeys are shot or mixed, though I guess you could sip a whiskey.

Storm
10-03-2007, 16:38
So I read there are single malts and others are blended, what's the difference...taste...bitter....I don't know, but now that's on my to try list.

Okay here's the short stroy;

Single malt should really really equates to single cask or vintage. A blended whiskey, which BTW Crown Royal, Canadian Club (which also happen to be rye whiskey, not Scotch) are blends as are most popular Canadian whiskeys,
is a misnomer. All whiskey starts out as a single cask, where the blending comes in is in the bottling. Blended Scotch whiskey's contain a mixture from 1 year old to 12 year old, with the uber blends running generally from 10 year old to 24 year old. Canadina rye whiskey, even crown royal, is a blend of 1 to 7 year old.

How blending afects the tase is the real import thing. Blended whiskeys take in the taste from the single casks they are created from, thus if the recipe is stable, and the distilling is stable, the taste from bottle to bottle is consistant. It is this consistancy that lead most distillers to blend.

Single malts stay in their cask, for the full aging time, take on the distinct flavors found in the cask, and thus genreally have more personality. Thaye are bottled straight from teh cask, with no blending. Hence each brand, and each year class can taste differently. One of teh mahy attractions to drinking scotch is the individual tastes of each single malt.

So if you want to raeally taste a Scotch try a single malt, over 1 or 2 rocks,

Cheers!

dludwig
10-03-2007, 17:27
you can never go wrong w/ Old No. 7 :smiley36:

loudgonzo
10-04-2007, 07:31
So I read there are single malts and others are blended, what's the difference...taste...bitter....I don't know, but now that's on my to try list.

Okay here's the short stroy;

Single malt should really really equates to single cask or vintage. A blended whiskey, which BTW Crown Royal, Canadian Club (which also happen to be rye whiskey, not Scotch) are blends as are most popular Canadian whiskeys,
is a misnomer. All whiskey starts out as a single cask, where the blending comes in is in the bottling. Blended Scotch whiskey's contain a mixture from 1 year old to 12 year old, with the uber blends running generally from 10 year old to 24 year old. Canadina rye whiskey, even crown royal, is a blend of 1 to 7 year old.

How blending afects the tase is the real import thing. Blended whiskeys take in the taste from the single casks they are created from, thus if the recipe is stable, and the distilling is stable, the taste from bottle to bottle is consistant. It is this consistancy that lead most distillers to blend.

Single malts stay in their cask, for the full aging time, take on the distinct flavors found in the cask, and thus genreally have more personality. Thaye are bottled straight from teh cask, with no blending. Hence each brand, and each year class can taste differently. One of teh mahy attractions to drinking scotch is the individual tastes of each single malt.

So if you want to raeally taste a Scotch try a single malt, over 1 or 2 rocks,

Cheers!

Thanks! Looking forward to some sampling. Also a good time of the year to do it since beer in the winter isn't as good as in the summer:smiley36:

Thanks Storm:smiley20: