PDA

View Full Version : How do Routing Cable on Can Light?

CWSWine
11-10-2009, 09:50
Looks like I going to be a proud owner of new Hollis can light and my wife is going to be owner of new front washer and dryer. I use a Hollis back plate and from what I can gather you remove your d-ring on the right side and slide the battery onto the belt and hold in place using an extra buckle. Seems there is a lot of disagreement how the cable is routed, so my question is how do you route the cable from the battery to the light head?

Lone Frogman
11-10-2009, 09:53
http://forum.scubatoys.com/accessories/1084-canister-light-routing.html

navyhmc
11-10-2009, 10:34
Looks like I going to be a proud owner of new Hollis can light and my wife is going to be owner of new front washer and dryer. I use a Hollis back plate and from what I can gather you remove your d-ring on the right side and slide the battery onto the belt and hold in place using an extra buckle. Seems there is a lot of disagreement how the cable is routed, so my question is how do you route the cable from the battery to the light head?

While equally useful, not quite a fair and balanced trade there Dennis...:smiley36:

PM Your way...

CompuDude
11-10-2009, 12:12

It's mostly discussed in Lone Frogman's link, but:

Canister goes on your right hip, back towards the backplate, but far enough forward that you can still reach the switch to turn it on. (Or do these have a light-head-mounted switch?) Most people pick up a second weight belt buckle, and just slide it on the belt (this being the right side, as you wear the bp/w, it should be the free end) so it acts as a stopper to hold the canister where you want it, and stops it from sliding off and crashing to the ground when you take the rig off.

The cord simply goes in front of you, running in a straight line from the canister to the light head.

The light head goes on your left hand, leaving the right hand free for anything you need (camera, etc.), and allowing you to shine the light (with your left hand) on your computer (in your right hand/on your right wrist).

When adjusting buoyancy, simply grasp the light head in a temporary hold with your right hand, freeing the left hand to adjust buoyancy, then return it when finished.

IndyDiver
11-10-2009, 16:48
Canister goes on right hip and light usually goes in left hand as all have stated.

The only real issue about cord routing that I am aware of only applies if you are using a long hose as your primary. It has to do with whether you route the light cord in front of the primary hose coming across your chest or behind it. The UTD standard is to route it behing the air hose. I know the GUE standard used to be to route it in front of the air hose, but I heard from someone that they had changed that to routing behind - but I am not sure.

The tradeoffs are that if you route the light cord in front of the air hose, there will always be some restriction of the air hose deployment until you pass your light head around to the right side of the air hose. If you route the light cord behind the air hose, you can deploy the long hose for air share with no problems as long as the light is in your left hand. However, if you clip the light to your right chest d-ring without passing it back under your air hose, you have now completely entrapped the long hose inside a loop of the light cord.

I think it comes own to a matter of personal preference by experimenting with which you feel more comfortable with - dealing with an extra step in deployment, or always remembering to pass the light head under the long hose when you shift from left hand to right hand or d-ring.

comet24
11-10-2009, 17:20
There is also those that mount them to the BP. I mount mine on the right side of my plate with quick links. It's mounted with the switch down so I can easily reach back and turn it on and off. Cable comes under my right arm close to my body.