PDA

View Full Version : UK SL4 eLED vs Intova 4.7W Compact Torch

scubachris
11-14-2009, 21:40
Hi all I'm getting my first dive light and came to these two options.
I'm doing pure rec dives in saltwater with no intention of going tec
Both lights are priced around the same range and I can see great reviews for both especially the Intova so what do you guys suggest?
Appreciate the comments!

jugglematt
11-14-2009, 22:01
i think both are good lights .

from personal use i have found he uk sl4 to be a bomb proof reliable light that had delivered many years of trouble free use , hard to go past that
i think the eled version is the same light with a led head.

the sl4 can also use rechargeable batts too.

Matt

scubachris
11-14-2009, 23:08
Thanks Juggle! Any issues at all for your UK SL$?

IndyDiver
11-14-2009, 23:59
I have both lights. I can second the fact that the SL4 is a very reliable and sturdy light. However, the Intova has a significantly brighter beam. Both have tightly focused beams with good hot spots. I have only had the Intova for a month, so all I can say about its reliability is that it hasn't flooded in three dives with a max depth of 103'

One major selling point about the Intova (or the Dorsy dive light) is that it will fit very nicely into a Oxycheq Light Sock. OxyCheq Raider Light Sock reviews and discounts, OxyCheq (http://www.scubatoys.com/store/detail.asp?PRODUCT_ID=OxyCheqRaiderLightSock) The I&II size (1.3") fits the Dorsy and the III&IV size (1") fits the Intova. I love having the light mounted on my hand like that. It is very easy to aim and you always have two hands you can use. Even when not diving, I have been using the Light Sock with a Dorcy to walk the dog and when I go out into the yard at night.

CompuDude
11-17-2009, 13:22
i think both are good lights .

from personal use i have found he uk sl4 to be a bomb proof reliable light that had delivered many years of trouble free use , hard to go past that
i think the eled version is the same light with a led head.

the sl4 can also use rechargeable batts too.

Matt

Pretty much any light can use rechargeable batteries. So why is that a selling point for the SL4?

The SL4 uses 4 C batteries, so it's burn time is going to be absurdly long (an LED with all those big batteries will go long). Which is great until you forget how long you've used it over the weeks of use, and have to chuck perfectly good batteries as a result. (unless you're using rechargeables)

The Intova Compact uses 3x AAA batteries, which are small and readily available. As I understand it, burn time is about 2.5 hrs, which is pretty easy to keep track of. You CAN use rechargeables in it, as well. I haven't done a burn test on it, but I'm sure it's at least a couple hours, which is more than enough for any normal night dive plus plenty of poking around in holes during the day.

The Intova is very compact, and very light weight, and has been very sturdy so far. No issues to report. Definitely brighter than the UK. The UK is considerably larger and heavier.

The UK has a very long track record as being a highly reliable light. The Intova is new to the market... it has only existed for a few months now, so a long term track record simply doesn't exist. It's been a great light thus far, though.

So it all depends on what's important to you, and how you plan to use it. If brightness is most important, I'd go for the Intova. If long burn time over many many dives is most important, perhaps the UK would be better. (It gets the long burn time not because it's better, but simply because it uses bigger batteries... and is a much bigger light as a result.) If small size and light weight are a concern, that tips towards the Intova again. The ability to mount on your hand in the light sock is a nice plus, also. The multiple light modes of the Intova are nice, too.

Alfred
11-18-2009, 20:44
I am in the market for a small light to attach to my cray loop and was originally thinking of the Dorcy 180 lumen light, but that is currently out of stock. Word on the forums it that the replacement is coming out in Dec. The Intova also ranks high on my list as it's small and light and uses only 3xAAA batteries, so tossing them every couple of dives is not a hassle. I thought I read somewhere that the rechargeables were not suitable as they are only 1.2v. Is that true?

IndyDiver
11-18-2009, 21:04
I am in the market for a small light to attach to my cray loop and was originally thinking of the Dorcy 180 lumen light, but that is currently out of stock. Word on the forums it that the replacement is coming out in Dec. The Intova also ranks high on my list as it's small and light and uses only 3xAAA batteries, so tossing them every couple of dives is not a hassle. I thought I read somewhere that the rechargeables were not suitable as they are only 1.2v. Is that true?

No. The light output of LEDs is current driven not voltage driven. The electronics in the light will supply the proper current from either a 1.5 or 1.2 volt source with no difference in light output.

scubachris
11-19-2009, 04:21
Thanks Indy and CompuDude! I am in favor of Intova due to the attractive price from here (http://www.bhphotovideo.com/) !

snagel
11-19-2009, 05:47
I recently got the Dorcy 180 and have to tell you this light impressed the heck out of me. If you can wait for them to get more on the market, would be worth the wait. I've got a homemade cannister light that lights up the whole underworld and this little Dorcy light held its own with it.

Snagel

ScubaCaveman
11-19-2009, 06:23
I have the intova and I think it is a sweet little light. Bright and compact. Keep it in my BC at all times.

USF_Diver
11-19-2009, 11:11
I liked the Dorcy 180 but it broke when I was turning it on, wasn't even underwater at the time.

The new Intova is as bright if not brighter than the Dorcy and I like the lighting options it gives.

Can't go wrong with the new Intova.

CompuDude
11-19-2009, 11:18
I recently got the Dorcy 180 and have to tell you this light impressed the heck out of me. If you can wait for them to get more on the market, would be worth the wait. I've got a homemade cannister light that lights up the whole underworld and this little Dorcy light held its own with it.

I have both, and have to say I like the quality of the light output from the Intova better. (Approx same overall level, I think, but in a slightly more useful spread, IMO) And it uses half the batteries. (Half the battery life, too, but still way more than you'd ever need for one dive... or two, most cases (full time use)). And no slippery light body to try to twist on, necessitating a rubber gasket just to get a good grip, just an easy push-button on/off switch. And the lower power mode if you do need to stretch battery life. And smaller still, but not so small it's hard to manage.

I wouldn't take either on a technical dive, but both are great for recreational use.

IndyDiver
11-19-2009, 16:52
I have both the Intova and the Dorcy as well. Right now the beam on my Intova is brighter, with a smaller hotspot, than the Dorcy. I like twist on lights better than the push button, but the Dorcy has a smooth body and is slippery to use in gloves.

I need to get a couple of new backup lights for the family, but I am holding off until the new Dorcy comes out. From what I have read, the new Dorcy due out in December will have 20% more lumens and a knurled body, so I will wait till the reviews are in on that before going with either the new Intova or the new Dorcy

scubachris
11-20-2009, 06:25
Guys, i just received my new Intova Compact and i not too sure if its faulty...my tailswitch button couldn't "lock" in place. when i put in my battries and screw back the cap, the torch powered up immediately. i can't switch it off even by pressing the tail button. i couldnt even change between the 3 different functions as well. is there something wrong with my torch?

IndyDiver
11-20-2009, 06:56
Guys, i just received my new Intova Compact and i not too sure if its faulty...my tailswitch button couldn't "lock" in place. when i put in my battries and screw back the cap, the torch powered up immediately. i can't switch it off even by pressing the tail button. i couldnt even change between the 3 different functions as well. is there something wrong with my torch?

The button is just a momentary action on/off switch (it doesn't "click"), every time you press it in it closes, and when you let it go it opens. The electonics control the modes. The electronics reset to "off" when they lose power, so the light is always off when you first put the batteries in. No matter what mode it is in when you remove the tail, it should be off when you put the tail back on. I tried putting my tail back on with the button held down and the light was still off, so it sure sounds like the electronics in your light are screwed up.

scubachris
11-20-2009, 07:27
The button is just a momentary action on/off switch (it doesn't "click"), every time you press it in it closes, and when you let it go it opens. The electonics control the modes. The electronics reset to "off" when they lose power, so the light is always off when you first put the batteries in. No matter what mode it is in when you remove the tail, it should be off when you put the tail back on. I tried putting my tail back on with the button held down and the light was still off, so it sure sounds like the electronics in your light are screwed up.

Thanks Indy. Just a quick check..inside the torch, there is only a "canister" for holding the 3xAAA battreries and nothing else,and the tail connects directly to the "cannister". am i missing out on any component inside?

IndyDiver
11-20-2009, 09:42
No, you're not missing anything. There is a circuit board in there that is the driver for the led, but it is sealed up in the end and not user servicable.