PDA

View Full Version : Pics from Guam

whitepointer
11-16-2009, 03:42
Hello people. it has been a while since my last post. i am still working with the Intova 600 and this camera is just not working out for me. i do not have the money to drop on a high end camera so could you all give me advice on a good point and shoot camera that I could use for underwater use. here are some recent pics that i took in the waters here in Guam. Hope you like them. i am trying to get better!

PS. the pics of the turtle are not that good because my strobe sometimes has a mind of it's own, so it was acting goofy, but the amazing thing about this pictures is how damn close this turtle let us get to him, it was like he did not have a care in the world that we were there with him, simply amazing. the pictures of the octopus was something i never would have seen because my dive buddy pointed it out to me. i was hoping that it would come out and show all of itself, but no such luck. let me know what you all think about the photos, please.

DevilDiver
11-16-2009, 06:52
Are you using the ISS 2000 strobe?

whitepointer
11-16-2009, 15:29
yes it is the ISS 2000. i have had all kinds of issues with this strobe. I am surprised that they did not come out with a better one, especailly for the strobe cable, it has no solid seat so it comes out really easy and there are other issues with it too.

scubastud
11-16-2009, 17:34
Het Whitepointer I will be moving to Guam December 4th...
Did you by any chance purchase that camera at MDA?

DevilDiver
11-16-2009, 19:04
yes it is the ISS 2000. i have had all kinds of issues with this strobe. I am surprised that they did not come out with a better one, especailly for the strobe cable, it has no solid seat so it comes out really easy and there are other issues with it too.

I can see how it is suggested to conect to the housing with the velcro tab but how is it secured to the strobe?

From the photos you posted it does not appear the stobe is fired. Is this the main issue you are having with the stobe or are there others?

If you are ready to give up and get another camera kit what kind of budget are you looking at?

Desert_Diver
11-16-2009, 21:05
I thought your pics were OK. Thanks for sharing.

Art

DevilDiver
11-16-2009, 21:08
I thought your pics were OK. Thanks for sharing.

Art

I think the pictures are good as well, just trying to get more info to help....

scubastud
11-17-2009, 00:11
Hehe I bought the same camera from the same place when I was there last month.
Hey ya get what ya pay for,sure it isn't the best camera in the world, but it is far from the worse. I am not ready to throw it out.
I like the pictures.

DevilDiver
11-17-2009, 06:59
Hehe I bought the same camera from the same place when I was there last month.
Hey ya get what ya pay for,sure it isn't the best camera in the world, but it is far from the worse. I am not ready to throw it out.
I like the pictures.

It's the same camera as the Sealife DC600 without the "Sea Mode".

whitepointer
11-17-2009, 12:51

I can see how it is suggested to conect to the housing with the velcro tab but how is it secured to the strobe?

From the photos you posted it does not appear the stobe is fired. Is this the main issue you are having with the stobe or are there others?

If you are ready to give up and get another camera kit what kind of budget are you looking at?

well the issues i have had is with the strobe. one, the strobe kinda has a mind of it's own, i.e it does not always flash when it is suppose to, second as i stated before the cable seat was not designed very well because the cable will fall out very easily so to help prevent this i have put duck tape around the cable port to hold the cable in place, but then we go back to number one, the picture of the turtle was with my flash on but as you can see no flash. the camera itself i guess is not a bad camera for what you pay for but my big gripe is that your settings can't be saved so every time you turn it on you have to manually punch in your settings and by the time you usually do this your subject is usually gone-very frustrating. my dive buddy has a canon point and shoot (i think it is the powershot 1200) with an underwater housing for it and we went out and took the very same pictures of a moray eel, and let me tell you the difference was night and day. his pictures came out so stunning and this is without a flash, so i was pretty inspired by this and was going along the line of getting something like this. something small and compact but at the same time is relatively cheap on the budget since i will be out of the Navy soon.

Noob
11-17-2009, 13:21
wow, those are awesome pictures.