PDA

View Full Version : Koolaid was involved... now have doubles...

DJBadfish
11-16-2009, 08:05
Well after an exciting weekend sitting around and talking tech diving with some buddies I took the plunge and picked up a diverite harness, stainless steel backplate, 58# doubles wing, double AL80s... I guess I drank the Koolaid and I like it :smiley2:

navyhmc
11-16-2009, 09:20
Good luck, have fun and get a little training or help from folks that have doubles. The main things you need to be proficient at w/doubles is turning off a specific valve is you have a problem. Usually called "Air drills" And watch your well...watch. You now have enough air to break NDL's at most depths. Unless you are planning to de deco's.

Welcome to the club and go out and dive them puppies!

texdiveguy
11-16-2009, 13:25
Koolaid had nothing to do with it believe me!!

Now go and enroll in a Tech Fundementals such as TDI offers or any number of agencies do now, the course it will help you out in several ways.

DJBadfish
11-16-2009, 13:57
I know they offer some tech classes at Oronogo... I believe Poseidon offers a limited amount here in Tulsa but I'm not a big fan of that LDS. I had heard there is someone near Claremore doing tech classes. Has anyone here taken anything from him?

Tom A
11-16-2009, 15:36
i think tim at lake ten killer has class on it

inventor
11-16-2009, 15:59
Well after an exciting weekend sitting around and talking tech diving with some buddies I took the plunge and picked up a diverite harness, stainless steel backplate, 58# doubles wing, double AL80s... I guess I drank the Koolaid and I like it :smiley2:
How were the cookies? I plan to have koolaid as soon as I can after the first of the year.

comet24
11-16-2009, 16:24
How were the cookies? I plan to have koolaid as soon as I can after the first of the year.

After the dive. You drink it on the deco line. Have to stay hydrated.

cowgirldiver
11-17-2009, 12:31
My friends at Pirates Cove in OKC are teaching tech classes now too.

gNats
11-17-2009, 12:58
Did you have the cherry or grape koolaid? I had grape. Took the PADI Intro to Tec class this Fall. It teches you the basics about diving tec along with equipment needs (pros/cons). That encompasses 2/3s of the book. The remaining 1/3 of the book is the full tec diving course.

Once I complete my dives (took class / exam) I will be able to do extended no-deco dives using multiple gases.

I have to dive doubles for my certification level.

CompuDude
11-17-2009, 13:27
I'd consider exchanging that 58# wing for something more suitably sized to twin Al80's. That wing is far bigger than you need.

DJBadfish
11-17-2009, 14:09
Did you have the cherry or grape koolaid? I had grape. Took the PADI Intro to Tec class this Fall. It teches you the basics about diving tec along with equipment needs (pros/cons). That encompasses 2/3s of the book. The remaining 1/3 of the book is the full tec diving course.

Once I complete my dives (took class / exam) I will be able to do extended no-deco dives using multiple gases.

I have to dive doubles for my certification level.

That would be the tropical punch koolaid! Good stuff indeed! :smiley20: The PADI class looks interesting. Unforunately, the LDS I use frequently does not offer tech so I have been researching around and have a few options. I know there is a guy that teaches IANTD close and would like to talk to him about the options as the multiple gases are quite intriguing.

I'd consider exchanging that 58# wing for something more suitably sized to twin Al80's. That wing is far bigger than you need.

Thanks for the advice... It is definitely a big wing. My goal is to switch up to steel tanks as I get money again...right now I was just going to double up what I had.

CompuDude
11-17-2009, 14:36

Thanks for the advice... It is definitely a big wing. My goal is to switch up to steel tanks as I get money again...right now I was just going to double up what I had.

It's more wing than you probably need even for double HP130's.

Your instructor should be able to recommend a wing sized appropriately for your needs, but I can pretty much guarantee that 58# is more than many people need, even for big tanks and a deco bottle or two. What's the next size down? 40-50# is about as much as you're likely to need for at least a couple of years to come. And the cost of the right wing is small compared to the rest of the costs you're going to be incurring, particularly drysuit costs and training costs, and probably canister light costs.

Best to get the wing sized for your current needs, and worry about a couple years down the line, later down the line.

Scuba Pete
11-17-2009, 16:17

It's more wing than you probably need even for double HP130's.

Your instructor should be able to recommend a wing sized appropriately for your needs, but I can pretty much guarantee that 58# is more than many people need, even for big tanks and a deco bottle or two. What's the next size down? 40-50# is about as much as you're likely to need for at least a couple of years to come. And the cost of the right wing is small compared to the rest of the costs you're going to be incurring, particularly drysuit costs and training costs, and probably canister light costs.

Best to get the wing sized for your current needs, and worry about a couple years down the line, later down the line.

I would have to disagree. I have a rec wing (51#) for my double 104's. While it works, I think it is on the cusp of being too small. I would be more comfortable with a 55# or a 58# wing. My wing barely floats the 104's at the surface. The rec wing does work wonderfully with al80's and lp85's.

cummings66
11-24-2009, 17:41
I have a 49 lb wing and it does my HP120's just fine. It may depend highly on the brand cylinder you have, there are quite a lot of variables there. Heiser cylinders are regarded as the heaviest things out there, about 16 lbs negative for their LP104 which means 32 lbs negative, add in a couple more for the AL BP and the manifold and you should still have ample flotation for just the cylinders.

Keep in mind, sizing a wing is more than just the cylinders, you need to consider the buoyancy of the drysuit and what you'd lose were it to flood. That depends on the undergarment and drysuit type.

IME about 50 lbs should work for most people.

Chilkie
01-04-2010, 22:38
Just how much weight do you have to carry in order to sink twin Al80's??

navyhmc
01-04-2010, 22:51
6-8 punds. Each is about 3-4 pounds light empty/near empty.

DJBadfish
01-05-2010, 06:51
Yes, there is defintely a bouyancy factor to aluminum 80s. That is why I also went with the stainless steel backplate to get my a few more pounds of negative bouyancy to compensate for that.

That being said...after almost 2 months my doubles setup is now complete. The company I ordered my bands from took me over a month to get matching 7.25" bands to me. Got my 2nd Reg's hose changed out to a 7'. Then compudude was right, the 58# wing was HUGE. I ended up getting a Ranger for Christmas (thanks Santa) that was set up for doubles as well.
Now I just need a break in the weather to get out there and enjoy these things!