PDA

View Full Version : Wow What a ride it's been part 3

pnevai
09-01-2007, 00:11
It’s nine o’clock on a Saturday, and the regular crowd shuffles in. There’s an old man sitting next to me, making love to his tonic and gin. La da da de da, La diddy da da dum…….
Huh? Oh it’s you again, I see you’ve returned to revel in more of my misfortunes. Well good for you, they say misery loves company………….

We all left the sporting goods store, the proud owners of all this cool new Scuba diving stuff. And after stopping and having a short lunch of some shawarmas and cokes, it was time to be off to our next OW class. We were a group of four, Steve, (American) John, (Brit) Duane (American) and I. Oh and of course our instructor supreme Ibrahim. We spent the next 2 hours in more class room instruction. At the end of which we were introduced to our real Scuba gear. WOW we learned about the regulator first stage, second stage, BC, inflator, SPG and all that neat stuff. It was shiny, new and the BC was a very bright orange but it was ours. Techno-geeks equipment dreams come true. And then it was out to the pool. We were all ready to do our scuba stuff but it was not to be. We had to do our swim evaluations first. To begin, 10 minutes of treading water or was it 15? Anyway, Steve, John and I just goofed around and completed that task no problem. Duane on the other hand was starting to have a bit of trouble towards the end. But it was done and after a 10 minute break it was back into the pool to do the 200 yard swim. Now this got me nervous as I could not remember when I had gone swimming last, all I knew it was a long, long time ago…… I can still remember how that music used to make me smile.
And I knew if I had my chance
That I could make those people dance
And, maybe, they’d be happy for a while.

But February made me shiver
With every paper I’d deliver.
Bad news on the doorstep;
I couldn’t take one more step. Huh? Ah, uh, what? Oh sorry my mind drifted sorry. Wherre was I? Oh, OK. I started swimming away and about half way through, it all started coming back so I switched to a side stroke and just to show off finished with a back stroke and the three of us were done. Duane however was starting to look like a rescue candidate. Man he was having a hard time which was not surprising as he was one of those swimmers who felt they had to keep their head high out of the water, a dead give away of some one who is not comfortable in deeper water (I would learn this during my ITC a couple years later). ’ths of the way through, he was flailing more than swimming and Ibrahim had to make him stop. Poor Duane did not pass that OW course. Ibrahim just could not in good conscience let him continue until he was better in the water.

Did this mean that we could start playing with the real Scuba stuff?? Huh? Could we, could we? Nope it was already dark and because Ibrahim had to give poor Duane the bad news, so we called it a night and our pool exercises would have to wait until the next weekend (Friday and Saturday in Saudi) I was crestfallen, "But you can take your BC and regulators home to become familiarize yourself with them" Ibrahin said, and I was happy, no, overjoyed and grabbed up the gear and jealously hugged it to my chest as we went back to the car.

Next time the pool the Arabian gulf and the moral of the Saudi part of the story.

Sing us a song, piano man, sing us a song tonight. We're all in the mood for a melody and you've got us feeling alright.