PDA

View Full Version : Mice in Tanks

Mitchell
11-20-2009, 06:56
A friend was in a car accident fours years ago and rented a pickup truck for the week. The garage told her she could have the small set of doubles that was in their garage for many years if she wanted. Of course she took had them tested and left the valves off. She was hoping to replace the valves with new one right away. Well of course that didn't happen. Recently she said if I want them feel free to take them. So last night at the shop she dropped them so I could get them visually inspected.

The tanks of course were rusty and the owner said we could tumble them and see if they pass. So far so good...

He put a light in the first tank and let out a "holy ****" come here and look in. Sure enough a dead mouse.

On to the next tank with a light we found a huge nest of dead mice.

My question is if they are cleaned could they or would you use them?

I'm thinking I'm not that cheap that I can't afford new tanks, but they would make a great set of small doubles again.

Lone Frogman
11-20-2009, 07:49
I'll use them, send them to me.

Rileybri
11-20-2009, 08:48
Take a photo and send them to the manufacturer stating that you purchased them this way and want a full refund or replaceent! lol

Mitchell
11-20-2009, 09:52
They are pretty old. I think 1974 I left them at the shop.

IndyDiver
11-20-2009, 09:55
A friend was in a car accident fours years ago and rented a pickup truck for the week. The garage told her she could have the small set of doubles that was in their garage for many years if she wanted. Of course she took had them tested and left the valves off. She was hoping to replace the valves with new one right away. Well of course that didn't happen. Recently she said if I want them feel free to take them. So last night at the shop she dropped them so I could get them visually inspected.

The tanks of course were rusty and the owner said we could tumble them and see if they pass. So far so good...

He put a light in the first tank and let out a "holy ****" come here and look in. Sure enough a dead mouse.

On to the next tank with a light we found a huge nest of dead mice.

My question is if they are cleaned could they or would you use them?

I'm thinking I'm not that cheap that I can't afford new tanks, but they would make a great set of small doubles again.

Given that the Department of Agriculture has standards for the amount of rodent excrement and bird droppings that can be in grain used for food products, I wouldn't worry about about what would be left over in the tank after a good tumble, acid etch, and rinsing.

For those interested in what is in their bread, see this link
http://archive.gipsa.usda.gov/reference-library/standards/810mixed.pdf

Chilkie
11-20-2009, 10:25
Given that the Department of Agriculture has standards for the amount of rodent excrement and bird droppings that can be in grain used for food products, I wouldn't worry about about what would be left over in the tank after a good tumble, acid etch, and rinsing.

For those interested in what is in their bread, see this link
http://archive.gipsa.usda.gov/reference-library/standards/810mixed.pdf

Well I guess having a sandwich for lunch is now out of the question....

CompuDude
11-20-2009, 13:06
Sad thing is this is far from the first report I've read of dead rodents being found inside tanks, discovered during vis inspections.

*shudder*

The tanks should fine after a serious tumble or two, though. Rodents are destructive, but thick steel tends to be stronger than they are!

MSilvia
11-20-2009, 14:48
Well I guess having a sandwich for lunch is now out of the question....
Having once worked in a consumer product microbiological quality assurance lab, I wouldn't recommend rice or pasta as an alternative. I eat it, but I don't have any illusions about living in a "clean" world.

navyhmc
11-20-2009, 15:16
1. Clean out the critter carcas and stuff
2. get them tumbled
3. Just for the fun of it, have them O2 cleaned.

4. GO DIVE!

Damselfish
11-20-2009, 15:51
They are pretty old. I think 1974 I left them at the shop.
Steel tanks can last a long time. If you don't want them you can probably sell them. Ideally sans rodents.

WaScubaDude
11-20-2009, 16:20
I would dive them, no problem at all. Tumble them and there will be nothing to worry about.

cummings66
11-21-2009, 18:01
Yup, as long as it was cleaned I'd dive them. IMO I'd get them O2 cleaned and go from there. No problems at all.

Matt, thanks for the info on my favorite food, I'll be sure to thank you every time I eat it. I guess the same applies to my cereal too huh?

oddbod
11-21-2009, 18:45
They will clean up fine, BUT, psychologically I'm not sure I would want to breath out of them!:smiley11:

Crimediver
11-22-2009, 09:17
Strange use for mice. I always use a canary to check for contaminated air.

inventor
11-22-2009, 15:10
Just remember to put in new mice before diving. It's like canaries in a mine, right?

'My gear keeps making this odd squeaking noise I can't seem to isolate.'

C'mon, you guys were thinking it.

:smilie40:

Mitchell
11-22-2009, 17:43
Ok so here is the deal. I went home that night and had very strange dreams with mice and worms. I woke sick to my stomach. The shop called me and said that they were 38cf I think that is what he said. It didn't even matter. I'm not that desperate for tanks that I can't afford new ones. I told him to toss as I don't want to see them again or cut the tops and use as a display.

Lake Michijim
11-22-2009, 19:36
Wow, twin 38's??? You can't buy those anymore. You should sell them to the vintage folks.

scubastud
11-23-2009, 04:46
Strange use for mice. I always use a canary to check for contaminated air.
Ahhhh hahahha! Love it!

I... how can I say this...

I don't believe you found mice in these tanks are you puttin us on?

WD8CDH
11-23-2009, 13:37
Steam clean them or tumble them and use them. Otherwise sell them to a Vintage diver. Don't scrap tham.

navyhmc
11-23-2009, 13:40
I agree with the concensus: Sell them, don't scrap them.

Lone Frogman
11-23-2009, 13:53
I'm interested in buying them. I just finished restoring a set.

mm2002
11-27-2009, 14:07
Oh thanks for this thread. Now I have the urge to remove the valves and check all my tanks, and I'll never be able to eat bread, pasta, or rice again.
Thanks a bunch

Glub000
11-28-2009, 16:43
I don't want the tanks but I'll take the mice.
Sincerely, Sylvestor the Cat

navyhmc
11-28-2009, 23:02
I don't want the tanks but I'll take the mice.
Sincerely, Sylvestor the Cat

Sounds like a win-win situation for everyone! :smilie39: