PDA

View Full Version : Inon UCL-165 or Epoque DML-2

MagnaBoxer
11-20-2009, 14:14
Okay guys, looking to add a macro option to my G10 / Ikelite by using the new 67mm threaded adaptor made for the Ike housing. Other than the price difference in these two lenses being about 25 bucks I have no idea how to choose one over another. From what I can see they are both wet macro lenses with the Epoque having 2X magnification and that is as far as my limited knowledge of lenses go. Found some info on the Inon but no specs on magnification. Anybody have / use either or both of these lenses? Preferences?

DevilDiver
11-22-2009, 10:26
Not exact but the Epogue should give you more magnification (around x.7) and likley a crisper view, Inon 2 element vs Epoque 4 element and at a lower cost.

Depending on the housing and port design there could be other issues such as distortion and vignetting that might make one better than the other.

jugglematt
11-23-2009, 01:58
i use the inon lens mentioned before ,

these lenses work well and have sharp optics , they are threaded front and rear to allow for stacking , i use 1 , 2, or 3 stacked inon ucl 165m67 lenses for extreme close up photography , eg Nudibranch head shot

of note

hen you start using the wet lenses you need to zoom in a bit
1 lens zoom 1/3
2 stacked lens zoom 2/3
3 stacked lense zoom 3/3 or full

DOF becomes narrower the more lenses u use , you have a point of focus in front of the camera , if the subject is out of this focus point and you try and pre focus the camera will just hunt , rock the camera back and foward to find the subject in that point of focus then pre focus .

other users have achieved AMAZING close up results with your setupand stacked inon lenses , do a flicker search

Hope this helps
Matty

CompuDude
11-23-2009, 15:05
I use double-stacked Inon lenses also, and love them. I've gotten some fantastic results with them. As JuggleMatt pointed out, it takes some practice to get the knack of focusing with them, since DOF is paper-thin (approx 1 cm between able to focus and not able to focus).

jugglematt
11-24-2009, 01:16
another option is the
subsee adapter
https://reefnet.ca/products/subsee/#calculator

i think it offers similar magnification as a couple of stacked inon lenses in 1 lens , not sure but worth a look

definitely does have the 67mm thread though

Regards
Matty

CompuDude
11-24-2009, 01:26
another option is the
subsee adapter
https://reefnet.ca/products/subsee/#calculator

i think it offers similar magnification as a couple of stacked inon lenses in 1 lens , not sure but worth a look

definitely does have the 67mm thread though

Regards
Matty

I definitely want a subsee lens when I go DSLR... the results my buddy gets are stunning. But for compact cameras, I actually like the option to use one lens or two, sometimes, depending on the size of the subject. Sometimes two stacked lenses are just too strong to get the whole subject in the frame!

MagnaBoxer
11-24-2009, 06:12
Thanks guys for your help. I'd actually looked at the Subsee a couple days ago and it looked promising. But if I do choose to go with the Subsee then there is another issue. Which diopter power to get. I have no experience what so ever with macro and therefore nothing to base my decision on.

I like the idea of having the option of stacking the Inon's to achieve higher magnification as the situation calls for it, but the cost of the Subsee over 2 or 3 Inon's makes the Subsee look that much more attractive. It says the Subsee has 67mm threads so it should fit the 67mm threaded adaptor made by Ikelite for my housing? If I go with the Subsee it would have to fit the Ike adaptor because the threaded mount Subsee makes for the Ikelite housing is 250 bucks versus 50 for the Ike!!

Can you tell me what a +5 or +10 diopter would be in comparison to 2 or 3 Inon's??

DevilDiver
11-24-2009, 06:27
+ 5 = 1.8 : 1
+ 10 = 2.7 : 1

Ikelite #9306.82 Macro Adapter
Allows for the attachment of 67mm threaded macro lenses from Inon and Epoque. The adapter slides onto the front of the existing lens port without modification.

CompuDude
11-24-2009, 12:45
I like the idea of having the option of stacking the Inon's to achieve higher magnification as the situation calls for it, but the cost of the Subsee over 2 or 3 Inon's makes the Subsee look that much more attractive.

I don't get it. The Inon lenses cost about $150 each (new... I see them used regularly for $100, though). While the Subsee is only $170 for the lens itself (for the higher-end +10), the attachment rigs needed to actually get it mounted it to your camera housing start at $250!!! How is that cheaper, all told, than a pair of Inon lenses that are already threaded and ready to work? (and adjustable since you can choose to only use one, etc)

MagnaBoxer
11-24-2009, 14:15
As I said, the only way I would buy the Subsee is if it fit the Ikelite adaptor, which is 50 bucks. Both are stated to have 67mm threads so I would think so. Putting the total at 200 for the +5 Subsee and Ikelite adaptor or 220 for the +10 Subsee and the Ikelite adaptor. Looked at possibly purchasing used, however I have not been able to find anything be it Inon, Epoque, or Subsee as of yet.

Opinions on which one? +5 or +10??

DevilDiver
11-24-2009, 16:37
As I said, the only way I would buy the Subsee is if it fit the Ikelite adaptor, which is 50 bucks. Both are stated to have 67mm threads so I would think so. Putting the total at 200 for the +5 Subsee and Ikelite adaptor or 220 for the +10 Subsee and the Ikelite adaptor. Looked at possibly purchasing used, however I have not been able to find anything be it Inon, Epoque, or Subsee as of yet.

Opinions on which one? +5 or +10??

From what I read the Subsee SHOULD work with the Ike adapter. I would contact ReefNet and say that you already have the Ike adapter and ask if there are any known issues using it with the Subsee.

As far as +5 or +10 it would depend on what you want.

1:1 is life size so the +5 (at 140mm-full zoom) would give you 1.8:1 almost double and the +10 would give you 2:7 almost triple life size. Both would be considered super macro which is fantastic but you will also have to consider low light, reduced FOV and extremely shallow DOF the more magnification you have.

I would guess the +5 unless you want some extremely close up opportunities.

DevilDiver
11-24-2009, 18:48
Magnaboxer-

If you plan to make it down to CSSP next year when the water warms up let me know, I would love to see your camera kit and check out the lens you choose.
I have a 1.25 close up lens but I have been considering either doubling it or going to something else.
-Thanks

MagnaBoxer
11-24-2009, 19:41
Magnaboxer-

If you plan to make it down to CSSP next year when the water warms up let me know, I would love to see your camera kit and check out the lens you choose.
I have a 1.25 close up lens but I have been considering either doubling it or going to something else.
-Thanks

For sure, sounds like a plan in the making. Was hoping to get in a last dive this year but before I knew it the holidays were knocking. Got off an email today to Reefnet so hopefully I'll hear back soon as to whether they are aware of any issues with using the Ikelite adapter with the Subsee.
Thanks again.

MagnaBoxer
01-07-2010, 11:03
Discussed with Reefnet about the compatibility of the Subsee attaching to the Ikelite Port adapter #9306.82. Was told there would be no connectivity issues as both the port and adapter have 67mm threads. They did recommend their adaptor saying it would be more convenient, but I can't justify 200 bucks for it so I'll stick with the Ikelite.

When I asked about vignetting they said there would be, however the vignetting appears only in the portion of the zoom range that is not usable and by zooming in at or near the maximum zoom that there would be none.

That all sounded great and I had decided on the +5 to start out rather than the +10. Then I sat on my hands as my next trip is in mid March and I wouldn't have any chance to use it so it slipped my mind. Until today.

15 degrees here in Oklahoma today with wind chills dipping into the minus's. Of course there is nothing better to think about on a day like this than diving and I recalled that I hadn't placed my order yet. :smiley5:

Got on Reefnets site to order and there is a note in bold red letters under the in stock heading saying to CALL. Crap. So I shoot them an email and they reply back that they just received a large batch.....but they are all spoken for already. The next batch is on order.....but is already backordered until February or LATER.... I went ahead and placed my order to get in line for mine, however I'm not an optimist by nature so...:smiley11: Couldn't find the "insert head in a%# emoticon" but if there is one I could certainly use it...on myself.

MagnaBoxer
02-14-2010, 19:22
Had been hoping to find my Reefnet in the mail any day but no luck. Was at the Texas dive show this weekend though and they had a booth there so I stopped by to see if I could get a status update. I'd been hoping to hear something soon as my trip is coming up in a month.

Talked with Kris who broke the bad news that the manufacturer they had been using has such poor quality control issues that they have had to discontinue using them, and they are in the process of having another manufacturer produce the Subsee's. He said that "tentatively" I could have my lens in a "couple of months maybe" to which I replied that would do me no good as I'd like to have something prior to my trip. He said he had a couple of "rejects" with him that might be good enough for me if I wasn't a perfectionist, to which I told him I wasn't and was interested in looking at them.

He said the rejects had been used and it was obvious they had been. I looked them over and the best of the lot had noticable scratches and spots between the lenses that could not be accessed. He offered to sell me one of the used lenses and as I don't expect professional results I asked him to make me a deal thinking I could overlook the defects in favor of a good deal and having something prior to my vacation.

He tells me he'll knock 20 bucks off then proceeds to tell me why he shouldn't even be knocking that much off as the defects weren't an issue and that he could be selling them for list price. Needless to say I called bull$h!t on that and said thanks, no thanks and walked away after having him cancel the order on my "backordered" Subsee.

Ordered the Epoque DML-2. Crossing my fingers.