PDA

View Full Version : DAN Insurance

wkowalski
09-01-2007, 00:27
I was just wondering how many people were DAN members... and if so, what level of insurance did you purchase, if any?

jeraldjcook
09-01-2007, 00:36
Dan Preferred. It's cheap considering the alternative

Zenagirl
09-01-2007, 07:33
DAN is my silent dive buddy....I never dive without DAN.

PlatypusMan
09-01-2007, 08:19
DAN insurance is like my car insurance: you pay for it, hoping that you'll never need it, but it's great to have when you do.

In addition, DAN is at the forefront of research involving hyperbaric chamber work, and other physiological effects of diving. In my opinion, these folks will always be there for us as recreational divers.

There may be other insurance alternatives out there -- but DAN was there first.

Capt Hook
09-01-2007, 08:22
Dan Master policy for last 5 or 6 yrs.

scubasamurai
09-01-2007, 08:32
having a policy is like common sense, the one time you need it, glad you have it. plus for the amount of money we pay in equipment and dive trips what an extra little amount for insurance going to do to us, so one round of beers it costs us. ever see how much a medevac plane from the caribbean costs to get you to the states?? it would take 30 yrs for what you pay in dan policies to equal that amount for one trip. no brainer

MEL-DC Diver
09-01-2007, 08:49
I'm with Platypusman on this one.

finflippers
09-01-2007, 08:55
Dan Preferred. It is the most important part of my dive gear.

plot
09-01-2007, 09:10
you could always have Dive Assure or something something like that too. Doesn't have to be DAN... but you need the insurance.

Dive insurance covers stuff like decompression chambers and evacuation from remote locations (ie: a helicopter ride from some island in the carribean...) stuff your normal insurance won't touch. So why wouldn't you have it? It's relatively inexpensive.

PlatypusMan
09-01-2007, 09:20
There's another aspect no one ever seems to touch: the majority of health insurance provided by employers, does not work -- or does not easily work-- outside the borders of the United States. Check with your insurance carrier to find out details of coverage outside the US.

DAN insurance does.

Kingpatzer
09-01-2007, 09:23
Insurance that covers health, travel and emergency services, including international evacuations are all necessary if you do any dive travel. DAN does it all for a great price.

chewyjr15
09-03-2007, 01:38
well youve all convinced me when i get certified my first purchase will be a DAN policy

scootermcfly
09-03-2007, 08:28
Yes, a new member and I have it for the whole family since they are all new divers. Best to have coverage for all of us since we want to travel and dive and figure that the teenagers can continue coverage after they move out in a couple of years.

Scooter McFly

scubasamurai
09-03-2007, 08:40
also check with AMEX some of their "higher" cards carry insurance that provided medical transport as well. just a thought

Formerly 45yroldNewbie
09-03-2007, 10:14
you could always have Dive Assure or something something like that too. Doesn't have to be DAN... but you need the insurance.

I just signed up last night and for DAN Preferred. With the membership cost and the preferred plan it was pretty much the same price as Dive Assure for the same benifits. I like DAN because they have been around longer and have all of their research and medico's behind them. Plus the have a travel cue that can give you local info about foreign ports and any warnings about politics or civil unrest. Pretty neat stuff. Looked like the same kind of breifs we used to get in the Navy.

Regardless of who you choose, you definately want to have insurance.

CompuDude
09-04-2007, 15:34
I consider DAN's Master level to be the minimum acceptable. I would have gone Platinum but I was having a really hard time deciding if I wanted to go for DiveAssure instead for better Primary Insurer coverage (as opposed to DAN's, which is secondary coverage), so I figured Master level for now is still a decent option. The bottom level is a little too thin for my tastes.

DevilDiver
09-04-2007, 16:46
I looked at four diiferent dive indurance companies last year when it was time to reup my policy. There was alot of really bad press going on abount DAN includuing ppeople not being able to get treatment and lawsuits.

The most disturbing not being sure if you would recieve treatment on a trip.

Here are some examples of the articles:
CAYMAN ISLANDS (28 Apr 2006) -- A scandal-plagued diver insurance company based in the Cayman Islands has agreed to settle a dispute over hyperbaric chamber bills it failed to pay since 2004.
Divers Alert Network (DAN) finally caved in after SSS, the world's largest network of recompression chambers sued to recover unpaid bills and cut off hyperbaric medical treatment for DAN policy holders at chambers around the world.
Despite its "divers helping divers" advertising slogan, DAN's ill-advised decision not to pay outstanding claims put its policy holders at increased risk of injury or death as SSS chambers in the Bahamas, Belize, Galapagos, Mexico and Thailand announced they would no longer accept DAN insurance.

DURHAM, North Carolina (9 Mar 2006) -- Effective March 9, 2006, and until further notice, Divers Alert Network dive insurance is no longer accepted for payment at hyperbaric chambers in following dive destinations:
Bahamas
Baja California
Belize
Cancun
Cozumel
Galapagos
Phuket, Thailand
Playa del Carmen
Samui, Thailand
Yucatan, Mexico All divers carrying DAN America dive insurance and diving in these locations should be prepared to pay out-of-pocket for any medical service rendered, because these chambers will not accept DAN America's insurance or DAN America's credit card as a method of payment. Hyperbaric chambers in other locations are currently considering joining this group and not accepting DAN America insurance.

Sorry if you like this insurance but I could not feel comfortable with it. If I have been mislead or you believe this info incorrect please let me know my pollicy is up next year.....

DevilDiver
09-04-2007, 16:49
I looked at four diiferent dive indurance companies last year when it was time to reup my policy. There was alot of really bad press going on abount DAN includuing ppeople not being able to get treatment and lawsuits.

CAYMAN ISLANDS (28 Apr 2006) -- A scandal-plagued diver insurance company based in the Cayman Islands has agreed to settle a dispute over hyperbaric chamber bills it failed to pay since 2004.
Divers Alert Network (DAN) finally caved in after SSS, the world's largest network of recompression chambers sued to recover unpaid bills and cut off hyperbaric medical treatment for DAN policy holders at chambers around the world.
Despite its "divers helping divers" advertising slogan, DAN's ill-advised decision not to pay outstanding claims put its policy holders at increased risk of injury or death as SSS chambers in the Bahamas, Belize, Galapagos, Mexico and Thailand announced they would no longer accept DAN insurance.

DURHAM, North Carolina (9 Mar 2006) -- Effective March 9, 2006, and until further notice, Divers Alert Network dive insurance is no longer accepted for payment at hyperbaric chambers in following dive destinations:
Bahamas
Baja California
Belize
Cancun
Cozumel
Galapagos
Phuket, Thailand
Playa del Carmen
Samui, Thailand
Yucatan, Mexico All divers carrying DAN America dive insurance and diving in these locations should be prepared to pay out-of-pocket for any medical service rendered, because these chambers will not accept DAN America's insurance or DAN America's credit card as a method of payment. Hyperbaric chambers in other locations are currently considering joining this group and not accepting DAN America insurance.

Sorry if you like this insurance but I could not feel comfortable with it. If I have been mislead or you believe this info incorrect please let me know my pollicy is up next year.....

I should have stated that I went with Dive Assure instead of Dan. I have never had to make a claim so I can only go with the feeling that it was a good choice..........

No Misses
09-04-2007, 17:04
I don't know what the billing issues were. But, here is the latest press release. DAN and SSS have kissed and made up.

DAN and SSS Issue Joint Press Release
Last Updated: 4/23/2007 6:06:31 PM

http://www.diversalertnetwork.org/image_library/SSS-DANLogos.gifDivers Alert Network (DAN) and SSS Network of Recompression Chambers (SSS) Joint Press Release Divers Alert Network (DAN America) and clinic members of the SSS Network of Recompression Chambers (SSS) announce that they have reached a settlement in the recent legal action. Representatives of SSS announce that DAN America insurance is once again accepted as a result of the resolution of the outstanding claims that were the basis for the lawsuit. The terms of the settlement remain confidential. The SSS Network of Recompression Chambers and DAN America pledge to work closely together to ensure that injured divers will receive the most appropriate and effective medical care.

CompuDude
09-04-2007, 17:34

Bahamas
Baja California
Belize
Cancun
Cozumel
Galapagos
Phuket, Thailand
Playa del Carmen
Samui, Thailand

That was a specific issue that has long since been resolved. DAN covered every one of the claims, although there was certainly some turmoil while things were being worked out. The entire situation only lasted a month or two before things were fixed, IIRC... you just had bad timing. :)

That said, there are other good companies out there. DAN is not the only option... it is, however, one of the better ones.

DevilDiver
09-04-2007, 17:58

Bahamas
Baja California
Belize
Cancun
Cozumel
Galapagos
Phuket, Thailand
Playa del Carmen
Samui, Thailand

That was a specific issue that has long since been resolved. DAN covered every one of the claims, although there was certainly some turmoil while things were being worked out. The entire situation only lasted a month or two before things were fixed, IIRC... you just had bad timing. :)

That said, there are other good companies out there. DAN is not the only option... it is, however, one of the better ones.

I am not putting Dan down. Like i said my insurance was up for renewal and you have news stories like that comming out, plus after reviewing some of the other options Dive Assure offered a good policy (Full med, trip interuption, gear replacement, transportation). My policy is up next summer and i am sure i will look at all again.(Including DAN)

The important thing here is if you do not carry Dive Insurance please for your own good and your loved ones look into and purchase a policy that you feel is right for you!!!:smiley20::smiley20::smiley20::smiley20::smi ley20::smiley20:

wxboy911
09-04-2007, 18:25
I figured if I had it I would probably not need it and without it something would definitely come up to bite me so I paid the money for my peace of mind as well as my wifes.

rubberduck
09-04-2007, 18:29
i agree, it's cheap money for the piece of mind it provides. I hope I never have to use mine.

jwagner
09-26-2007, 06:51
Had it as long as I've been certified.

datamunk
10-01-2007, 22:32
DAN IS A MUST!!!! i mean come on, you can pay upwards of $500k for a chamber visit, or you can pay like what, less than 100 a year for the premium? covers any cancellation of a visit to get money back, covers all medical bills, loss or theft of gear...

i mean comeo n, its the best thing yo ucan do for diving!

GO DAN OR GO HOME! (or i guess stay dry!)

datamunk
10-01-2007, 22:33
ps: was on a boat in rough seas (8-10 foot) and my friend was comin up the christmas ladder and it lifted up with a wave, he got pushed forward, and crushed his pointer finger flat, bone had to be surgically remade or whatever hah. anyway, dan paid all but like $30 of the $15k bill.

PhD4JC
03-08-2008, 14:22
Of course I purchase DNA insurance for the insurance, but their dive magazine is pretty awsome as well (may last dive insurance agency did not have a journal).

DougNR
03-08-2008, 14:53
Never had to use it, but I like knowing it's there...

TxScubaBear
03-08-2008, 15:16
DAN preferred, something my OW instructors ingrained in us way back when, always there if you need it and at $7k a pop or more for one chamber visit, yeah, I'll pay the premiums for mine and my honey's peace of mind.

Charles R
03-08-2008, 15:42
I am a member with Master insurance I also have My non diving wife and my son covered

Athena2c
03-08-2008, 18:25
Dive insurance covers stuff like decompression chambers and evacuation from remote locations (ie: a helicopter ride from some island in the carribean...) stuff your normal insurance won't touch.

That's not necessarily true. My employer paid health insurance does cover all that stuff and covers me in any foreign country-granted I have GREAT coverage, but there are 'regular' policies out there that cover you as much as DAN, etc. does for these things.

malley1717
03-08-2008, 18:52
i dont think i dive enough for dan insurance

scubajane
03-08-2008, 21:40
It only takes 1 dive to get bent. that's like saying that I only drive to the bank so I won't get car insurance. Our open water dive instructor would not take us on open water dives until we had insurance. just like I was not allowed to be a student nurse without malpractice insurance and I don't drive a car without insurance, I chose DAN and I don't dive without without it!

newways
03-08-2008, 22:58
Preferred = small price to pay and well worth it if something drastic happens.

abcitydiver
03-10-2008, 02:51
under the theory that "bad things happen to good people" ...
I have Dan Preferred AND Dive Assure platinum..
;-)

firstdive2005
03-10-2008, 03:46
I put my daughter and wife under Dan insurance and they only snorkel while I dive.

Judestudio
03-10-2008, 04:26
Here in New Zealand, dive accidents are covered by the government's Accident Compensation schemes (err...from our tax money), which covers all personal injuries. This includes helicopter / ambulance transfer to the NZ Navy Hospital's hyperbaric unit and treatments - free of charge :smiley20:

jeepbrew
03-10-2008, 08:47
Here in New Zealand, dive accidents are covered by the government's Accident Compensation schemes (err...from our tax money), which covers all personal injuries. This includes helicopter / ambulance transfer to the NZ Navy Hospital's hyperbaric unit and treatments - free of charge :smiley20:

That's excellent. I am sure you have some sort of insurance for when you dive outside of New Zealand?

NeurosurgeryNP
03-10-2008, 11:11
I don't dive much either - once or twice a year while on a cruise - but I do carry DAN insurance - all it takes is one time and you will be paying bills forever!

mwhities
03-10-2008, 11:49
DAN PREFERRED here.

Why chance it?

DUnder
03-11-2008, 16:21
I have Dan's Master Insurance, Hope never have to use it.

jtkkym
03-11-2008, 18:11
Good Poll. Interesting info.

danielh03
03-14-2008, 02:29
Just curious. I have looked through DAN's website and the pricing is not really up front. I know I really need it, and i will have some sort of policy before I dive again. But to my question, how much does it cost, and what is most recomended?

CompuDude
03-14-2008, 02:41
Just curious. I have looked through DAN's website and the pricing is not really up front. I know I really need it, and i will have some sort of policy before I dive again. But to my question, how much does it cost, and what is most recomended?

http://www.diversalertnetwork.org/insurance/compare.asp

I'd recommend Master level at a minimum.

cummings66
03-14-2008, 07:17
I've got to have master level for Advanced Nitrox/Deco so I too think master level is a good idea.

ScubaJoe
05-14-2008, 01:47
I was just wondering how many people were DAN members... and if so, what level of insurance did you purchase, if any?I was surprised when I hit the vote button. I didn't think the majority would be with the highest cost, like I did (Preferred)...

I have also purchased trip insurance with DAN. I found it less expensive (in general), covered more and was easy to do through the Internet...

Also, I like to have a third party cover my trip insurance. I don't think it makes sense to have the same place cover it as is doing the trip... Too many things can go wrong in that situation to have you lose your trip and your insurance

spatman
05-14-2008, 08:30
we have the DAN Preferred plan. my wife doesn't dive, but the benefits she can get while traveling are worth the few extra $ per year.

caroln
05-14-2008, 09:03
I joined DAN before I started diving and got their preferred insurance as soon as I started. They do a lot of research that helps us all as divers, so even if I never use the insurance, I don't consider my money wasted.

ScubaG
05-14-2008, 09:26
My wife and I signed up for the preferred plan. I like the peace of mind of it in case something does happen.

Last week, we had a fundraiser for our local chamber in Catalina and ironically a diver participating got bent (turned out to be ok though AFAIK).

Dive safely!

CFDAlden
05-15-2008, 01:13
Preferred. It's on auto renew so we can't forget to renew it year to year.

obrules15
05-15-2008, 08:35
I have Dan Preferred. It is really inexpensive compared to the cost of the trips and the dive gear and if I err, I would rather err on the side of 100/year than being responsible for 20000 dollars worth of chamber diving.

doczerothree
05-15-2008, 09:58
Dan perferred. Never leave home without it!!

RikRaeder
05-15-2008, 14:08
I joined DAN, Japan at the basic level. My only gripe is that I can't access the reports and literature on the DAN, US site. I can't read Japanese!

ChrisA
05-21-2008, 16:49
I read my DAN policy. I found several problems

they cover medical evacuation only if the accident occures more than 50 miles from home. I almost never travel that far to dive
They pay for medical treatment as "secondary" insurance. This means if you have any normal medical insurance DAN only picks up what they don't cover. I have zero deductable through work. DAN would never have to pay

CompuDude
05-21-2008, 18:01
I read my DAN policy. I found several problems

they cover medical evacuation only if the accident occures more than 50 miles from home. I almost never travel that far to dive
They pay for medical treatment as "secondary" insurance. This means if you have any normal medical insurance DAN only picks up what they don't cover. I have zero deductable through work. DAN would never have to pay

I'm not sure about your first point, but I think it's an awfully big assumption that your primary insurance will pick up 100% of the cost, and there won't be a single denied item, etc.

OTOH, if you're so sure that your work insurance WILL cover 100% of EVERYTHING, then yeah, why are you bothering with DAN?

matt151617
05-21-2008, 19:01
Picked up a master plan... the difference between the master and preferred didn't seem worth the extra cash. I hope to never use it, and probably never will, but it's definately a nice thing to have. Even if my insurance happened to cover most of the stuff, it could still make the difference between walking out of the hospital free and clear, and being in debt for the next 3 years.