PDA

View Full Version : Baracuda! Oh the pucker factor was high!

frankc420
09-01-2007, 07:59
Ok, so it's been a few weeks now since I dove off the coast of MS. A couple of friends and myself met up with a local DM that has his own boat and we headed down for a few dives. Off of the MS coast, there are what seems like hundreds of oil rigs scattered about.

I'm going to fast forward to the last dive of the day, dive #4.

Dive #4, we were on our way back in from a 25 mile run, but decided we wanted to get in another dive since the current wasn't all so bad, plus I wanted to actually get to use the speargun this time!

Brad and myself dropped in the water at a rig about 30 minutes after our last dive, so we didn't have much time to get down, snag a fish, look around, do our stop and get back on the boat, so we headed down pretty quick.

This was my first time to ever use a speargun, but, I decided this was the best place to learn, since there were thousands of fish swimming arm length away from me! So we drop down to about 50' and I see the fish I want, ready, aim, fire! Tagged the fish right behind his gill, it flew about 10' from where he was and hit the rig and stuck there. (I had no idea fish had green blood!?)

I pulled in the still alive fish (yeah, I'm a tard, I should have knifed him, but didn't) which is at this point swimming around in circles spreading his oh so pretty green blood. It's time to go up to gather some more BT, so I ascend to about 30'. At this point, ole Brad is playing the guitar, Baracuda!

You can guess what happened next, this 6' monster of a Baracuda was eyeballing me and my fish! He circled me from about 10' away, eyeballing me the whole time, so I put the fish behind me. What I didn't know, is there was 2 more behind me! So I looked back at the two for a few seconds and they darted at me, at what seemed to be 100mph! I exhaled pretty hard and within 2-3' they veered off to my right, where they met up with 2 more big teeth fishys. Ok, it's time to release this damned fish before I get chowed on!

I did a 3 minute stop, the whole time searching the water like I was just harassed by a bull shark, it wasn't the greatest of times to be honest. After flying onto the boat, fully geared and my buddies laughing at me, my butt hole finally released my wetsuit enough for me to remove it.

The whole time this was happening, Brad was about 20-25' behind me. He said even he jumped when they came at me... Reassuring huh? :smiley20:

----

How many people think these fish would have actually hit me? Or do you think they just wanted the fish? Funny thing, they didn't eat the fish when I released it.. Punks! The DM on the boat said, "It's all those shiny buckles you have on that rig of yours!" I'm sure the bleeding fish was just a bonus?

Just so everyone knows and doesn't think I'm scared of Baracuda... I like women too, but women in a group, scare me... get the picture? :)

Suther2136
09-01-2007, 08:06
Spear fishing is kinda asking for attention from predators. You really should be glad it was barracudas and not something really mean. I'm sure the fish had a better laugh than your buds. Might want to get a new buddy, or at least stuff dead fish in his pocket before the next dive.

scubasamurai
09-01-2007, 08:45
talk about knocking a few days off your life and your air reserves!!!! are you now a born again anti spear fisherman??? probably not, but you are lucky that something bigger didn;t come long and think you were some tasty seal treat.

greyzen
09-01-2007, 09:08
My wife's uncle used to be an avid diver, but after a school of barracuda followed him and his buddy... he won't even get into swimming pools now.

plot
09-01-2007, 09:31
those things always hang out under a boat on safety hangs. they're harmless

NitroWill
09-01-2007, 10:45
YOU have green blood @ 50 feet below the surface :smiley36:

Remember ROYGBIV? :smiley2:

ertechsg
09-01-2007, 10:53
YOU have green blood @ 50 feet below the surface :smiley36:

Remember ROYGBIV? :smiley2: I thought it was blue

NitroWill
09-01-2007, 11:08
The deeper you go, the more blue it will appear ;)

DivingsInMyBlood
09-01-2007, 11:15
great story, i could see why your buddies had a good laugh, thanks for sharing.

kevinj1
09-01-2007, 22:04
I've had this happen to me in the past. Im the ignorant one that didn't give them my fish. Luckily, I had no problems...

frankc420
09-01-2007, 22:18
Actually I want to spearfish more now... strange I know! :)

PhD4JC
02-01-2008, 08:56
"(I had no idea fish had green blood!?)

I pulled in the still alive fish (yeah, I'm a tard, I should have knifed him, but didn't) which is at this point swimming around in circles spreading his oh so pretty green blood"

Fish DONT have green blood.
Because of it's wavelength, red if the first color you stop seeing at depth. Could that be why the blood appeared green?

Did you burst the liver perhaps and that was the green stuff?

Think
02-01-2008, 09:13
An excellent reason not to attack fish. It's not so fun when you are the one being sized up.

NucMed Man
02-01-2008, 12:20
I think it was the distress signals that attracted the Cuda (not the blood) and yes had you not seen the others you could have been in for a nasty time!:smiley29:

WAHMof2
02-01-2008, 16:08
Great story!
So, please forgive my ignorance, but have there been barracuda attacks on humans? I guess I knew they were pretty mean dudes if you were their prey, but what about divers?

frankc420
02-03-2008, 09:05
Well, I have my own speargun now, I was borrowing someone elses at the time of my original post! After reading my initial post, I realize blood changes color the deeper you go, I've read and learned it, just forgot. I know fish have red blood <smirks>

The tag on my new truck reads, "CUDAB8"

aprilgoddess1987
02-04-2008, 00:54
Now I'm glad I made matt get rid of that thing, he really is glad he traded you the gun for the tank, he went down to the jetties, with another guy from your site. He jokes around that its easy to spot him with the yellow tank.

MLenyo
02-04-2008, 02:08
how big are barracuda? and just curious, but what was the vis like on the dive?

caroln
02-05-2008, 08:14
Great story!
So, please forgive my ignorance, but have there been barracuda attacks on humans? I guess I knew they were pretty mean dudes if you were their prey, but what about divers?

There was a decent show on Animal Planet about Barracuda last week. I'm sure it will repeat. There have been attacks on humans but they are rare, and usually not intentional. According to this show, they can moveup to 30mph, and having seen one hunt I can believe it. They pretty much said the reason humans occasionally get attacked is because the cuda mistakes them for something else, and since they move so fast, once they start, it's too late to call off the attack.

mwhities
02-05-2008, 08:46
how big are barracuda? and just curious, but what was the vis like on the dive?

The vis of the dives we dove before this one was 40 - 50+. Frank said that this dive had far better viz than all of the others. In his post, it was a 6' cuda. Out on the oil rigs, they get quite large. All the fisherman out there catching fish and cleaning them. Easy to get big there.

reeldive
02-06-2008, 18:30
A 6' cuda would have easilly won that catagory in the 2007 Panama city open spearfishing tournement!

ps. they taste like grouper