PDA

View Full Version : Basic, conservative computer. Recommendations?

Schex
11-24-2009, 09:12
Hi,

I'm looking for a basic, conservative dive computer for my son--that won't break the bank. He doesn't dive nitrox and won't for a couple of years, so could get by with an air only computer. I know I could spend more and have a computer that he could grow into, but we just moved to Florida from Vermont, so the budget's a bit tight. (Gotta say, I'm loving this warm water diving!) Any recommendations?

Thanks.

comet24
11-24-2009, 09:21
Suunto computers are conservative.

Remember you can always build in your own conservatism. Plan your dive to what you want.

bottomdweller
11-24-2009, 09:21
Oceanic VEO 100 Wrist Computer reviews and discounts, Oceanic (http://www.scubatoys.com/store/detail.asp?PRODUCT_ID=Veo100Wrist)
This is a great computer on the cheap. It does everything you need & you can't beat the price for a new computer with a warranty.

BubblesMcCoy
11-24-2009, 10:46
I stand by the M2, the its AK-47 of dive computers. It's big, ugly, and lacks the bells and whistles that the more expensive and sophisticated computers have. However, when it comes to reliability and brute indestructability it stands alone. The two features I love most are the constant on back light and the batteries.

If you turn the backlight on during dive mode, it will stay on, which I find nice in deeper lake dives where the light starts to get scarce. My buddy can find me pretty easily just by looking at the glow.

The backlight does drain the batteries a bit, but this thing uses common AAA batteries. No fancy tool, battery kit or other such things. As cheap as AAA's are, I replace the batteries every few months needed or not. And, the battery compartment is completely sealed off from the computer, so if the 0-ring does fail, the computer doesn't get toasted.

It does do nitrox, but I paid less than $200 for the unit new, and there is a download unit available for it. The IR downloader is a bit finnicky, but once you get the hang of it, it's pretty easy to work with and I've learned a great deal from downloading my dives.

As for conservativism, as far as I can tell it's about the same as my buddy's oceanic. You can increase your safety factor by upping the altitude program so that it shortens your ndls. It does have the audible alarms and safety stop like the rest. All in all, its a good computer for the money and is pretty darned dependable imho.

ScubaToys Larry
11-24-2009, 11:54
Can't beat this guy for a very nice little wrist unit...

Mares Nemo Sport Computer reviews and discounts, Mares (http://www.scubatoys.com/store/detail.asp?PRODUCT_ID=MaresNemoSport)

Or we do have some demo units that would be even cheaper... Like this Tusa

Used Tusa IQ 600 Wrist Computer reviews and discounts, Tusa (http://www.scubatoys.com/store/detail.asp?PRODUCT_ID=UsedTusaIQ600WristComputer)

Both of these will be more conservative than the Oceanic / Aeris computers, but again, it's easy to be more conservative. When diving with a computer, you jump in and don't let the big number hit zero. If you want more conservative - don't let it hit 10.

That's like buying a car that can't go too fast because you don't want speeding tickets... uh.. keep your foot off the gas! :smiley20:

CompuDude
11-24-2009, 12:36
If you're trying to force conservatism on your son, and thus need an actually-conservative computer, take a look at the Suunto Gekko. Rock solid reliable, inexpensive, conservative, and easy to use. It'll likely last him his entire diving career unless he gets into tech, at which point replacing the computer will be the least of his costs.

Otherwise, I'd look at a nice low end Oceanic and just raise the conservativism level to something you're comfortable with.

redsoxphan
11-25-2009, 18:44
I stand by the M2, the its AK-47 of dive computers. It's big, ugly, and lacks the bells and whistles that the more expensive and sophisticated computers have. However, when it comes to reliability and brute indestructability it stands alone. The two features I love most are the constant on back light and the batteries.

If you turn the backlight on during dive mode, it will stay on, which I find nice in deeper lake dives where the light starts to get scarce. My buddy can find me pretty easily just by looking at the glow.

The backlight does drain the batteries a bit, but this thing uses common AAA batteries. No fancy tool, battery kit or other such things. As cheap as AAA's are, I replace the batteries every few months needed or not. And, the battery compartment is completely sealed off from the computer, so if the 0-ring does fail, the computer doesn't get toasted.

It does do nitrox, but I paid less than $200 for the unit new, and there is a download unit available for it. The IR downloader is a bit finnicky, but once you get the hang of it, it's pretty easy to work with and I've learned a great deal from downloading my dives.

As for conservativism, as far as I can tell it's about the same as my buddy's oceanic. You can increase your safety factor by upping the altitude program so that it shortens your ndls. It does have the audible alarms and safety stop like the rest. All in all, its a good computer for the money and is pretty darned dependable imho.
I own one of these also...works very well for me (as a fairly new diver). Agree 100% with everything mentioned above.

texdiveguy
11-25-2009, 20:42
..................... Oceanic

keyshunter
11-26-2009, 04:35
Schex,
Your post title is an accurate description of the Suunto Gekko.

navyhmc
11-26-2009, 04:53
I agree with Bubbles about the M2 as well as the Veo 100. Both fairly inexpensive and good, reliable computers. I went with the Oceanic Geo and while it did cost more than the others, I have not been disappointed.

Good Luck and happy diving!

CODMAN
11-27-2009, 13:24
+1 here! Love my M2 for all the reasons mentioned above, and you can get them cheap. All the Mares computers are on the conservative side.:smiley20:

I agree with Bubbles about the M2 as well as the Veo 100. Both fairly inexpensive and good, reliable computers. I went with the Oceanic Geo and while it did cost more than the others, I have not been disappointed.

Good Luck and happy diving!

Chilkie
11-27-2009, 20:59
Oceanic VEO 100 Wrist Computer reviews and discounts, Oceanic (http://www.scubatoys.com/store/detail.asp?PRODUCT_ID=Veo100Wrist)
This is a great computer on the cheap. It does everything you need & you can't beat the price for a new computer with a warranty.

I have the Oceanic as well. Hard to believe all that these things do for only $150.00.
As long as Nitrox isn't an issue it would be a great choice.

Jack Hammer
11-28-2009, 15:39
I like the Suunto Gekko, they can be found new for ~$225 if you look around and used for less. It's conservative to begin with and you can set it more conservative if you want more of an added margin. I understand working with a budget, your only gonna spend a little more if you get a computer with a nitrox mode over just an air mode, which means starting over and finding a replacement if he starts using nitrox a year from now vs spending an extra $25-50 now.

If you're dead set on cheap, start looking for an used older air only computer. You may get lucky and find something or you may get a dud, hard to say.

Mtrewyn
12-02-2009, 17:11
My gekko Has a Nitrox mode, You can down load a "hack" to make it think it is a viper and download your dives to the computer, and do all kinds of things with it, I think it a great first computer.

I am still a little "foggy" on the whole conservitive vs. liberal computer thing, I have never had an issue using a Suunto computer, I can keep up with everyone I have dove with, I think the key is the surface time, if you have less than 60 minutes you will get zinged with a shorter second dive, but when I have 60 minutes most of time,and my computer times are with in 10 minutes or so of everyone else.

DivingCRNA
12-02-2009, 18:06
Suunto is ridiculously conservative. I had 4 minutes of deco and my buddy had 17!

I understand it will also lock him out at the drop of a hat, so that will limit unconservative diving for him.

We did the same dives on the same day.

Mtrewyn
12-02-2009, 18:09
I found a good link to some info on "conservitiveness" of computers.

A sense of algorithm - Divernet (http://www.divernet.com/Diving_Gear/group_tests/334683/a_sense_of_algorithm.html)

Mtrewyn
12-02-2009, 18:13
Suunto is ridiculously conservative. I had 4 minutes of deco and my buddy had 17!

I understand it will also lock him out at the drop of a hat, so that will limit unconservative diving for him.

We did the same dives on the same day.

Suunto may be very conservitive, I don't know if it is or is not. I just have never had an issue with ether one of mine.

But than all of my dives tend to be long and shallow, above 60ft, for longer than an hour, if I started doing deeper dives I may run into issues, I don't know.

CompuDude
12-02-2009, 21:13
Liberal or conservative totally depends on the specific profiles you dive. As some of you noticed already, there are times that it truly hardly makes any noticeable difference at all. If the majority of your dives are like that, chances are it won't matter in the slightest to you.

Problem is, there are also profiles where the NDL for each computer will be radically different. Only difference is the algorithm.

I've run into the latter issue too many times. So I choose a somewhat more liberal computer, where I have the option of making it more conservative should I feel the unlikely urge to do so.

If Oceanic made a computer I liked as much as my Galileo Sol, I'd be using that, because I like their liberalness more than Uwatec's. But they don't, so I stick with my first choice. *shrug*

chinacat46
12-04-2009, 06:06
I use Suunto and I've never had a problem with them being to conservative if I'm using Nitrox. However when I was in PNG and diving air I would notice by the third dive that I would be getting close to deco before I used up my air. I'm pretty good on air so I was forced to dive shallower. At one site this meant hanging out above the reef and just watching the bumphead parrotfish. Wish I had been diving Nitrox on that dive!

DivingCRNA
12-04-2009, 06:20
Well, do not take a Suunto Viper to 140 feet and then 110 feet with a 70 minute surface interval. It gets very cranky!

rmkrause
12-23-2009, 19:47
I got a Suunto Gekko, many dive ops use them as rentals so I assume they are tough and reliable even if it gets some abuse. User can change battery. Does Nitrox. Got mine used with 20 dives on it for $150 with a new screen cover.