PDA

View Full Version : Wreck Diving in FL

JipThePeople
07-12-2007, 17:26
If I could only take one trip to FL to dive wrecks, what would it be? I have only one wreck dive - the ship in Cozumel.

ScubaSteve
07-12-2007, 22:16
Probably to the Keys. Many wrecks there, including the Spiegel Grove and the Duane/Bibb. There's also the Oriskany at Pensacola. Don't know if I'd make a trip just for that, but hey, it's the only aircraft carrier you can dive this side of Bikini Atol. Depending on your "thrill threshold", the diving around Pensacola is fairly unremarkable.

MEL-DC Diver
07-12-2007, 22:43
Yep, Key Largo is where the wreck action is. Most bang in the same general area.

JipThePeople
07-12-2007, 23:10
Thanks for the feedback. BTW, which area would have some wrecks less than 100ft in depth?

Wolfie2012
07-12-2007, 23:20
Ft Lauderdale area has a ton of wrecks (most purposely sunk for the artificial reef program). Even so, there are a great many of them at around 70fsw.
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV>http://www.parrotislandscuba.com/wrecks/wrecks.html</DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>

JipThePeople
07-12-2007, 23:31
Ft Lauderdale area has a ton of wrecks (most purposely sunk for the artificial reef program). Even so, there are a great many of them at around 70fsw.
<div></div>
<div>http://www.parrotislandscuba.com/wrecks/wrecks.html</div>
<div></div>
<div></div>
<div></div>

Thanks for the tip!

the gooch
07-13-2007, 19:16
If you are AOW (most shops require you to be) I would highly suggest the Spiegel Grove.

Divingguy
07-13-2007, 21:01
Both Fort Lauderdale, and Key Largo, have a good variety of wrecks. Which you should choose will depend on your qualifications and experience, who is going with you, and what you want to do for shore-time.

frankc420
07-14-2007, 12:00
Key Largo.

Bigg_Budd
07-15-2007, 22:56
Sea Empress off Deerfield Beach.

sidneydiver
07-16-2007, 22:19
Definitely Key Largo. I dove the Spiegal Grove, the Duane and the Eagle in one very amazing day. If you do go, I thoroughly recommend www.conchrepublicdivers.com
<DIV></DIV>

WaterRat
07-19-2007, 14:07
I second Conch Republic. They're good people. We'll be there for a week of diving in 3 weeks. Can't wait.
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV>Also if you need a place to stay check out Island Bay resorts. http://www.islandbayresort.com/</DIV>
<DIV>Scott and Carol have a real nice 10 cottage establishment and it's only about 3 miles north of Conch Republic.</DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV>Don't forget to get some breakfast at Mango Mike's. Yumms http://www.scubatoys.com/forum/smileys/smiley14.gif</DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV>Ron</DIV>

marshallkarp
07-19-2007, 16:10
Having just got back from Fort Lauderdale two weeks ago, it's reputation for diving is well deserved. American Dream II does a 70 foot wreck dive and a 20 foot reef dive every trip.

Rascal1933
07-19-2007, 19:51
Here's a Vote for Florida Keys Ship Wreck Diving.
<DIV>Spiegel Grove</DIV>
<DIV>Duane</DIV>
<DIV>Eagle </DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV>**One Wreck dive that is often overlooked,buta Very good oneis the Adolphus Busch Shipwreck in Looe Key,Florida.</DIV>

kevinj1
07-20-2007, 14:02
Sea Emperor off Deerfield Beach. I have been on 100+ wreck dive and the Sea Emperor is the best. Incredible marine life.

yeroks
07-22-2007, 21:25
Is the Sea Emperor a OW or AOW dive?

kevinj1
07-22-2007, 21:39
I believe it is supposed to be an AOW dive, because it is around a 65ft. dive. I would definetely check this first, but I believe that is the correct depth.

Rascal1933
07-22-2007, 22:37
That sounds about right 65 ft,would be justout of OW certrec limits...
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV>Any dive reports/details on diving it from anyone?</DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV>Quick search on it looks like a pretty good dive,with lot's of sea critters to look at too.</DIV>

kevinj1
07-23-2007, 21:03
Everytime I dive down to the bottom on the Sea Emperor, I am greeted by large stingrays that engulf you (looking for food). Their mouth basically land right on your mask---it is amazing.
<DIV>A coupl of moray eels currently reside there and of course your occasional shark stroll by from time-to-time.</DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV>Dont forget about all the Goliath Grouper hanging out.</DIV>

Rascal1933
07-25-2007, 17:26
<DIV>Hi Kevin,</DIV>
<DIV>Almost went out with Dixie Divers toherin June,then plans got changed to West Palm for my diving.</DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV>Next time I am in the Deerfield Beach area &gt; I will schedule a dive.</DIV>

kevinj1
07-25-2007, 20:46
I am always excited to hear about divers heading out to the Sea Emperor, although I am not a huge fan of Dixie Divers (the boat).
<DIV>They did a drift dive one day and turned on their engines (and put in gear) while one guy was trying to get on the boat. Luckily he swam away from the props just in time and the captain blamed it on mis-communication with his first mate. I watched this whole ordeal from a neighboring boat (Lady Go Diver' )and it left me with a real bad feeling in my stomach.</DIV>
<DIV>I knowaccidents happen but that was too close for comfort.</DIV>
<DIV>Lady Go Diver' is the other boat they own with a kind and professional crew--I would recommend taking a look at that boat.</DIV>
<DIV>http://www.dixiediver.com/dive_charters.htm</DIV>
<DIV></DIV>

Rascal1933
07-25-2007, 21:19
Hey Kevin, Appreciate the heads-up!
<DIV>Did not realize that Dixie D's used 2 boats. I will most certainly use the Lady if I dive with them.</DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV>Who do you like for dive operators in your area?</DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV>That's what I like about the ST forums &gt; you can get the lowdown,and Info on what's happening before you go dive there!</DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV>Thanks Again.</DIV>
<DIV>R.</DIV>

kevinj1
07-25-2007, 21:41
<DIV>Aqua Logic</DIV>
<DIV>6001 N Federal Hwy
Boca Raton, FL
33487 </DIV>
<DIV =detail>

Phone: (561) 988-1200
<DIV></DIV>They dont have the greatest in store prices, and dont even come close to ST's prices, BUT they are really friendly and do work hard on accomodating every divers needs.</DIV>

Rascal1933
07-26-2007, 20:39
Thanks for the info!

Wolfie2012
08-01-2007, 09:52
Most of the wrecks in in the 65-70 fsw range around Ft Lauderdale are typically easy enough for an OW cert. long as you're not penetrating. The currents are typically light or non existent and you'll be using a line to descend and ascend. The ops I've seen don't require the AOW until you get to the deeper 100+ fsw wrecks.

I've done the Sea Emporer several times as has my wife (she's only OW certified) and it's a great dive :) (some of the most recent pics in my gallery here)

Keep in mind even though the ops don't require an AOW that you still should be diving within your own comfort level.

My vote would be for Parrot Island Scuba if you are deciding on an op to go with. Jerry and co. are the best. American Dream II is good as well but I definitely prefer Jerry's crew. http://www.parrotislandscuba.com

No Misses
08-20-2007, 17:06
American Dream II gets my vote. They are a very friendly and professional operation.

H2O Skier
08-21-2007, 20:39
There is a lot of great advice on the wrecks, skill considerations, and charter recommendations in this thread. I've done a number of the popular wrecks from Ft Lauderdale to the upper Keys and agree with most of the posts.

The wrecks in the upper keys are my personal favorite. They are spectacular but can be a more advanced dive due to the depth and potential current.

You won't be disappointed in the Ft Lauderdale or upper Keys wrecks. I'm lucky enough to live in SE Florida so fortunately I don't have to choose one location of the other.

- Dave.

MyTPen
09-06-2008, 12:04
There are some great wrecks and bridge spans to dive off Panama City Beach just 75 miles east of Navarre.