PDA

View Full Version : Fishing line on the Coral Reefs

Heidi Sampson
11-24-2009, 15:31
Hi everyone,

I am enrolled in an Environmental Studies course at NSU and am asking
your help with my final project. If you could take 30 seconds of your
day to fill out the following survey I would really appreciate it!

Impact of Fishing Line on our Coral Reefs:

Impact of Fishing Line on our Coral Reefs (http://www.surveymonkey.com/s.aspx?sm=XDSVIK_2fev29d4y0RlgVciA_3d_3d)

My project is to start a nonprofit organization to change a local
issue in south florida. As a newly certified scuba diver, I love
jumping in the ocean and swimming around. Unfortunately there is an
environmental issue that I have not been able to overlook. Often my
dive buddies and I come across monofilament fishing line wrapped
around the coral, and sometime trailing behind a hooked fish. My goal
with the survey is to see how many other individuals see this as a
problem. Thanks so much for your help!

Heidi Sampson

comet24
11-24-2009, 16:10
Welcome aboard. Your poll forces you to answer questions that I really have no answer too. I don't fish so paying more for bio line is not a issue.

I dive S. FL once or twice a year. More wrecks then reefs. Haven't seen to much mono line down there but it may be the areas I dive. Seen an eel hooked to a wreck before and a few fish swimming with hook and line in there mouth.

navyhmc
11-24-2009, 16:21
Answered your poll as well.

I have to agree with comet24's comment on the line question. I don't fish so it's not a issue one way or the other. SurveyMonkey would not let it go unanswered.

Good luck with the poll.

Smashee
11-24-2009, 16:27
Line on reefs is a problem over here. Most of my weights are made from recycled sinkers. Unfortunately, the wording of the survey means that any data gathered would be useless for any serious study.

Heidi, if this is for a degree-level course, I'd suggest you run the wording past your supervisor ASAP.

PACKRMAN
11-24-2009, 18:08
Heidi, if this is for a degree-level course, I'd suggest you run the wording past your supervisor ASAP

Good idea, I took your survey but would be willing to take a longer one also. A problem with some surveys is that they are designed to get one answer. Create a survey that is impartial and in depth, then post the results so we can all share.

Thanks

Heidi Sampson
11-24-2009, 18:19
Thanks for the suggestions, I will look into the issues you have brought up!

Heidi

Heidi Sampson
12-02-2009, 09:22
The survey is now closed. Thank you to everyone that participated! I found that many individuals did notice entangled reefs and found it an environmental issue. Also, there is a program in Florida called the Monofilament Recovery and Recycling Program that promotes education on the dangers of monofilament line and implements coastal cleanups to prevent harm to the wildlife and coral reef ecosystem.

You can find more information at: Monofilament Recovery and Recycling Program. (http://www.fishinglinerecycling.org)

Thank you again for your help,

Heidi