PDA

View Full Version : Problem with SEA LIFE DIGITAL PRO FLASH SL961



smithbr
11-25-2009, 06:28
I have a SEA LIFE DIGITAL PRO FLASH SL961 that I use with the DC1000. The flash seems to have a problem with depth. It appears to work fine from about 0 to 10 meters. I can take several pics with the flash with only a second or two in between. However, below about 10 meters, it takes forever (2-3 minutes) for the little red light to come back on indicating the flash is ready for the next pic.

Has anyone else had the same problem? Any suggested solutions? I'm in Sipidan now and only have a few dives remaining so would like to resolve before leaving.

snagel
11-25-2009, 06:35
I had similar problems when using rechargable batteries. Did away with the rechargables and problem went away. However, my problem was all the time...not depth dependent.

Has to be either a battery or capacitor issue.

Snagel

DevilDiver
11-25-2009, 06:43
Can't see any reason for the external pressure to influence the recycle time with the strobe. I would look at the power supply first, if you are using rechargeable it could be getting to the end of their life cycle. If you are using throw aways I would only use higher end batteries that can deal with the demand that strobes would need.
Other than that check the connections and such to see if there is anything that could cause the problem. Wish you luck, sorry I could not be more help........

smithbr
11-25-2009, 07:00
Thanks for the replies. I'm using 4 new AA Energizer batteries (not rechargable). I may try and find another brand like Duracell. Perhaps it's the batteries. I've double checked all connections.

rayaa3
11-25-2009, 08:57
I have the predecessor (sl 960D) and I use the energizer lithium's (the most expensive variety)...that helps my life battery life and recycle issues. I however, have never experienced anything related to depth...just number of photos. Of course, if you are going deeper (darker) and turning up the power...that would also be it.

smithbr
11-25-2009, 16:25
Thanks for the feedback guys. I have been using the energizer lithuims so not sure what to do at the moment. I've tried 3 different sets adn also checked the voltage on each battery (~1.7 volts).

Appreciate any other suggestions!!

hootbot
12-02-2009, 04:07
I had a similar problem with my brand-new SL961 when I took it out to Australia in September. I was using Duracell rechargable batteries, but they completely discharged as soon as I dunked the camera/strobe into the fresh water tank for my first pre-dive check. I swapped for standard non-rechargables for the remainder of my trip and it was fine from then on.

Unfortunately, I've just had a new problem with the strobe (I was in Sipadan last week for my second - and final - dive holiday of the year). Although the batteries seem to be fine now, the strobe simply won't fire anymore when the camera's flash fires (the test flash is fine). The flash from the DC1000 is successfully travelling through the fibre-optic cable, but the flash unit itself isn't reacting to it. I've tried looking at the sensor connection on the underside of the flash head, but can't really see what's happening. It might be a mis-alignment, or maybe an electronic fault.

What it does mean is that I've now had 15 dives since buying the DC1000 Elite kit with the strobe, but the strobe has only actually worked on two of those dives. I'm looking for info now on who to return the strobe to.

DevilDiver
12-02-2009, 06:08
Sounds like the F/O connection, if you are sure you have everything lined up right and it still does not fire try trimming the shielding down around the tip of the F/O cable. Only a cm or two and do not damage the actual F/O cord, if you do it's best to just nip the tip off clean and start again.

hootbot
12-03-2009, 04:48
Sounds like the F/O connection, if you are sure you have everything lined up right and it still does not fire try trimming the shielding down around the tip of the F/O cable. Only a cm or two and do not damage the actual F/O cord, if you do it's best to just nip the tip off clean and start again.

Thanks for the info. I'll try to get another good look at it tonight. I've also emailed the store I bought it from but they haven't replied yet. Whilst I was out in Borneo it was difficult to actually get a good look at the recess where the fibre-optic cable screws in, but I got the impression that the connection surface looked damaged. Is the whole surface in there a sensor, or is there another fibre-optic cable within the strobe? It was so dark that I couldn't see how the connection is made.

I did also try to make sure that the end of the f/o cable was clear. Maybe you're right that the shielding may need trimming, but it did look okay at the time.