PDA

View Full Version : Mini Underwater Video Camera

CWSWine
11-26-2009, 20:08
What do you guys thing about this video camera? I would something a little better than using a point and shoot camera for video but don't want the bulk of a full blow video system.

Home (http://gmsconcepts.com/)

CompuDude
11-27-2009, 02:21
Is it any better than the little FlipHD cameras in an Ikelite housing?

If you read the camera's reviews on Amazon, I'm seeing quite a few complaints about the video quality.

And there's no screen, so how do you know what you're shooting?

I'm more inclined toward the Flip.

Zeagle Eagle
12-17-2009, 11:11
"For the Basic Unit, turn the camera power on and place in record mode, insert the camera in the housing with the bottom of the camera facing the felt pads, making sure the record on/off switch remains in the on position."

I assume that means the camera will be on and recording all the time. You have to go with the upgraded unit to get on and off capability. To get the 1080p version seems to be around $610 plus shipping. That seems a little steep to me.

I purchased the Ikelite JVC Picsio GC FM1 Housing and Camera Package from ST for a little over $400. It's full 1080p HD. I haven't used it for diving yet. I have used it around the house some and it works okay, fits in my shirt pocket and is the size of my iPhone. I am very happy with it so far. I have several other video cameras in ikelite housings and one Amphibico. I like the JVC for it's size. I can tuck it in a BC pocket and have it on every dive.

http://www.scubatoys.com/store/detail.asp?PRODUCT_ID=JVCPicsioGCFM1VideoPackage

I am not an expert by any means when it comes to video. I hope our more experienced divers will chime in.

CompuDude
12-17-2009, 12:19
The JVC certainly looks great on paper, and has some nice features, but I've read a couple of reports indicating the FlipHD gives cleaner video... the JVC was very noisy in low light (by comparison) and did not have as good of color saturation.

I have a local buddy who has been using the FlipHD (in Ikelite housing) and I'm pretty impressed. Similar price to the JVC, I believe.

CWSWine
12-17-2009, 15:19
The JVC certainly looks great on paper, and has some nice features, but I've read a couple of reports indicating the FlipHD gives cleaner video... the JVC was very noisy in low light (by comparison) and did not have as good of color saturation.

I have a local buddy who has been using the FlipHD (in Ikelite housing) and I'm pretty impressed. Similar price to the JVC, I believe.

I just purchased the FlipHD in the Ikelite housing (thanks CD for the tip) and it arrived with a cracked case and I'm working on getting it replaced. I should have a new one in the next few days but the first chance I will have to get it wet will be the 7th to 14th of Jan in the Caymans. I will post some video and give a review when I get back.

Zeagle Eagle
12-17-2009, 23:05

You may be right. I haven't actually gotten it wet yet. I have been using it for the usual stuff, cub scout webloe pixs, birthdays, etc. It does a great job in daylight; but, I am not impressed with it's low light pictures.

I will give a full report after I actually get to take it diving. BTW, did I mention that the JVC Everio software and manual totally sucks. It may be one of the most confusing manuals I have ever read.

CWSWine
12-18-2009, 18:18

This review sums it up the quality of the JVC. JVC Picsio GC-FM1 Review | Camcorders | Macworld (http://www.macworld.com/article/143639/2009/11/jvc_picsio_gcfm1.html)

Problem is I thought I order the FlipHD but me and the LDS got our wires crossed and ended up with the JVC package. He order though a friend of his that is a Ikelete dealer and told me up front that I couldn't return it and had me confirm twice that he was ordering the correct one so it totally my fault.

samerjb
12-19-2009, 11:59
I will be interested in knowing how it handles 8mp stills. Can you attach WA or macro lenses to its case?
I am still looking for HD recording device with manual white balance stills in a decent underwater case!

whichwayis_up
12-29-2009, 21:45
Just ordered the flip HDUltra, now all I need is the Ikelite and Ikelite light. : )

rayaa3
01-07-2010, 14:26

You may be right. I haven't actually gotten it wet yet. I have been using it for the usual stuff, cub scout webloe pixs, birthdays, etc. It does a great job in daylight; but, I am not impressed with it's low light pictures.

I will give a full report after I actually get to take it diving. BTW, did I mention that the JVC Everio software and manual totally sucks. It may be one of the most confusing manuals I have ever read.

Zeagle, did you ever get a chance to take this diving?

I'm looking at this camera, combined with the Ikelite C8 Triple LED light...

IKELITE Pro-V8 LED Video Light (http://www.ikelite.com/web_pages/3prov8.html)

It looks just a little more cumbersome than my current digital still setup...a Reefmaster mini, combined with a Sealife strobe.

The largest difference being the strobe on the Sealife which uses AA batteries and the big video LED light which uses C8 Model light.

Just curious if you ever had a chance to dive with yours and what you thought of it.

Also, how much video can you store on a 8 gig sd card?

maggs_the
02-23-2010, 14:52
I'm dying to know how these things worked out.

Any videos from 40-70 feet under??

If either of these are pretty decent, I think you've just saved me quite a bit of money on a mini-dv and housing.

So how'd they do?

Woodsmaster
02-25-2010, 10:42
On the JVC with the Ikelite lites.... did the video turn out OK?

What about automatic shutdown of the camera and start up if it has not been used while on a dive?

scubarobin
02-27-2010, 09:34
I am anxious to see videos shot by both the JVC and Flip done without lights at a depth of more that 30'. The promo videos on Ikelite website all look like crystal clear water and shallow, plus you can tell they are using the external light. I want to see what these puppies can do with just the red filter.... I am not impressed with the color quality of that light, looks waaaay yellow/green to me. I would rather not use it, if I were buying one of these! Red filters usually give better color alone than a poor quality light.

robin

Zeagle Eagle
03-07-2010, 20:22
Finally got some use out of the JVC Piscio camera. It does an outstanding job on land in great lighting conditions. As the light decreases so does the quality of the pictures. The 1080p video with good light is awesome.
As far as diving I would rate this camera average.
Pluses:
It is very small and can easily be attached to your BC and is fairly unobtrusive.
With good lighting it does a great job.
Cons:
No RED filter!!!!!
The software that comes with it is horrible.
The deeper you go in ambient light the darker the pictures get.
It is so small it is hard to hold still and not get a blurry shot.
The Macro button would not switch while using the Ikelite case.

I would buy the camera again; but, only for land use. It's great to tuck into a bag your glove box or your shirt pocket. It does great video and it is worth it for just the camera alone. I would not purchase this camera again to use while diving.

I will try to upload some video I took with it as soon as I figure out how to do that.

Zeagle Eagle
03-08-2010, 21:35
Finally got some use out of the JVC Piscio camera. It does an outstanding job on land in great lighting conditions. As the light decreases so does the quality of the pictures. The 1080p video with good light is awesome.
As far as diving I would rate this camera average.
Pluses:
It is very small and can easily be attached to your BC and is fairly unobtrusive.
With good lighting it does a great job.
Cons:
No RED filter!!!!!
The software that comes with it is horrible.
The deeper you go in ambient light the darker the pictures get.
It is so small it is hard to hold still and not get a blurry shot.
The Macro button would not switch while using the Ikelite case.

I would buy the camera again; but, only for land use. It's great to tuck into a bag your glove box or your shirt pocket. It does great video and it is worth it for just the camera alone. I would not purchase this camera again to use while diving.

I will try to upload some video I took with it as soon as I figure out how to do that.
Correction: The Ikelite case does come with a red filter.

TJDiver
07-23-2010, 11:15
I'm a little late on this thread, but for anyone still pondering these mini video rigs, I would highly recommend the Flip UltraHD. I bought the camera from Wal Mart, the housing, wide angle lens, and video light from Ikelite thru my LDS...have approximately $1000 in the rig...and, am very pleased with the setup.

This video was shot at about 45-50 fsw at the blue hole off Nassau, with no light and no red filter (the housing comes with a red filter that fits the standard lens, but I failed to think to order a filter to fit the wide angle lens before the trip). This clip looks much better on our wide screen high def at home (youtube's processing takes a bit away from it).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F6NSCv2DdPQ&feature=channel

The following clip was shot in 40+ fsw, and was edited with the software that comes with the Flip camera...a bit limited on editing options, but extremely easy to use IMO.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gvDJnTLfI6Q&feature=channel

samerjb
07-23-2010, 15:39
Thanks... very useful indeed :)

robbcayman
12-06-2010, 08:40
TJ Diver, those are really nice videos.

dawnvip
12-07-2010, 14:00
Have you seen the GoPro Hero? For a mini video camera it does the trick, very compact and good for skiing, surfing, dirt bike, etc.

GoPro Official Store: Wearable Digital Cameras for Sports (http://www.goprocamera.com/products/?gclid=CIKhhYb72qUCFRxqgwodxHWvkg)

TJDiver
12-08-2010, 12:15
TJ Diver, those are really nice videos.

Thanks!