PDA

View Full Version : Need to get certified

bap521
11-29-2009, 00:29
I am really intrested in scuba diving and am wondering if there is a cheap way to get certified because most places and like $300. but if i wait 2 years i can do it for free at olympic college in 11th grade. should i just wait?

navyhmc
11-29-2009, 00:42
Tough question. How bad do you want to dive? In all honesty, $300 is not too bad of a price if it includes all the gear except the mask, snorkel and fins.

I'm assuming you're in the Bremerton, WA area with your Olympic Colege reference? There are several shops in your area, I would look around and ask. If you want to wait and do it free, I say go for it, if you're willing to wait. But then you have two less years of diving.

While the Sound and Straits are a little cold, there is great and wonderful diving to be had up there.

Evan the Blue
11-29-2009, 09:13
Cheap doesn't = good instruction
Some things in life are worth spending a little extra $ on

scubastud
11-29-2009, 10:07
Cheap doesn't = good instruction
Some things in life are worth spending a little extra $ on

High price does not = good instruction either.
I suggest you try to get referrals from people you know, if you let us all know where you are, perhaps some of us can recommend a good instructor?

bap521
11-29-2009, 16:02
i live close to bremerton and there are teen classes at sound dive during the summer at least. i just dont have enough money for it. i might try working to get some money for the summer to get certified

mrmccoy
11-29-2009, 16:14
I searched around and found the cheapest place to take my OW cert. which was a mistake but like mentioned already expensive doesn't always mean the best either. The best thing to do is stop by a few shops and talk to the instuctors.
Another thing to consider is how often you will be able to dive while still in school. If you wait and take it free then you will have money to buy gear. just my $.02

bap521
11-29-2009, 17:00
well it isnt free that was my bad. it is just cheaper. it only costs 245. but i found a place where the cost is $375. Includes everything required for class and certification. Student needs to provide: Swim Suit, towel and Lunch. during summer. i have a friend with gear that i can use when i go with him then i can save and buy my own gear a little at a time

B Lo
05-23-2010, 19:50
To reiterate some of what may have already been said, in addition to the cost, you should consider the quality of the instructor. I cheaped out with my basic OW and got a terrible education. When I manned up a bit and paid for the AOW, I made a much better choice of instructors with a different dive shop and a different certifying agency. Cost doesn't always correlate to quality, but there is frequently some degree of association between the two. This is especially true if you find a dirt cheap certification course.

redseadiving
05-29-2010, 13:00
hello

300 $ for open water course is not alot and if you dont have all the mony with you you devide the course to do it in two or three times, then you will not bey all the price in one time, so if you wanna do you diving course with PADI and this the best, you can start with discover scuba diver, then after afew weeks you can continue to be scuba diver, after another afew weeks you can finish your course to be open water diver this course will give you certification to dive 18m depth with your buddy

dive in the wormest sea in the world.
Red Sea Diving (http://www.red-seadiving.co.uk)

DevilDiver
05-29-2010, 13:17
Scuba Toys charges $250 for OW but you still need to purchase your personal gear - mask, snorkel, fins, and booties.

The instructors are top notch as well.