PDA

View Full Version : Next Generation SD Card Will Reach 300MBps

DevilDiver
12-06-2009, 17:47
SD specification 4.00, the next generation of Secure Digital (SD) memory card standard is planning to be released in the Spring of 2010.

The maximum data transfer rate will almost be tripled from 104 MB/sec second to 300 MB/sec.

The data transfer scheme will be change from parallel to serial and will utilize more than 9 pins (currently used) to facilitate the faster transfer speeds.

Apparently the external dimension of the card will remain the same and backwards compatibility is a priority in the new generation. Expect more information to be coming shortly.

Vercingetorix
12-07-2009, 07:53
I wonder if the new cards based on the spec will have increased capacity as well.

reeldive
12-07-2009, 08:45
Might result in bargin prices on the present ones

DevilDiver
12-10-2009, 07:05
I wonder if the new cards based on the spec will have increased capacity as well.

I am sure this will happen, as far as UW photography I see the benefit as faster transfer and write speeds reducing lag time (not focus lag) between shots.

I usually use 2g cards and change out every dive day, I can store around 325 images per 2g card. This way if the card becomes corrupted or something happens to it I have not lost more than 1 day of photos.