PDA

View Full Version : Favorite Dive Trip/Location

Travelnsj
09-01-2007, 21:55
Where has your favorite overall best dive trip been?

For me…. Big stuff and hard corals Rangiroa and Fakarava!….Small to med and weird stuff and lots of soft and hard corals Bali and East Timor (although I have a couple of trips coming up that may blow that away)….Best overall Palau has a little or a lot of everything.

bversteegh
09-01-2007, 23:00
Lembeh Strait in Indonesia. As an UW photographer, Lembeh is the most target rich environment I have ever seen. Frogfish, anenome fish, octopus (including blue ring, mimic, wonderpus), exotic crabs and shrimps (too many to list), cuttlefish (including flambouyant), ghost pipefish, rhinopius scorpion fish, bangaii cardinal fish, pygmy seahorse, lionfish, morays, nudibranch..... it is truly macro heaven. Relatively shallow and easy diving - many 80 to 90 minute dives where we didn't move more than a few meters; because every few feet some new incredible creature was waiting to be photographed. It is starting to get more crowded there as they open up more resorts/liveaboards. I gaurantee you won't be disappointed; so go see it before it gets over crowded and loses its unique critters.

Zenagirl
09-02-2007, 07:26
Best/Favorite trip thus far has to be our 2-week back-to-back trip on the Nekton Pilot this summer! Great macro, great sharks, great boat and crew, and all around an amazing trip.

ScubaJenn81
09-02-2007, 08:47
Honestly, my favorite trip is always my latest one. In this case, the Florida Keys, Key Largo area.

Capt Hook
09-02-2007, 09:57
Florida Keys!

Desert_Diver
09-02-2007, 11:06
Best/Favorite trip thus far has to be our 2-week back-to-back trip on the Nekton Pilot this summer! Great macro, great sharks, great boat and crew, and all around an amazing trip.

Was this the NW Bahamas? Cay Sal? Belize? I think the Pilot does all of these venues.

Art

Hemlon
09-02-2007, 11:15
My favorite trip has been my most recent trip to Roatan in June, 2007. It was my second time diving in Roatan and it was incredible.

I was diving with Anthony's Key Resort. The only negative thing that I can say about them is that one of the DMs tank banged with a long aluminum stick constantly.

He did it to corral the divers AND to point out various sites. After a while, he became the boy who cried wolf. It became very tempting to pay no attention to his incessant noise making.

But that is the only complaint that I had about their operation.

Zenagirl
09-02-2007, 15:47
Was this the NW Bahamas? Cay Sal? Belize? I think the Pilot does all of these venues.

Art

NW Bahamas/Cay Sal back-to-back in July this year. It was outstanding and we're talking about doing it again in a couple of years, but to Medio and Cay Sal....if we can get more info. about Medio.

allison finch
09-07-2007, 21:12
Lembeh Strait, Indonesia!! Where else could you see tons of wierd critters like this?

http://i176.photobucket.com/albums/w162/allisonfinch_photos/frog%20and%20scorpion%20fish/emailimprP2161557-1.jpg

RECDiver
09-07-2007, 21:50
Bloody Bay Wall/Jackson Wall, Little Cayman Island. A 90 degree vertical wall that starts in 20 feet of water and goes to 2000 feet. It's like diving the side of a building, but with coral!

Travelnsj
09-07-2007, 22:41
Saw a bunch of those in Kona either yellow or a couple of Black ones....but I want to see those weird Cuttlefish and the Blue Ringed Octopus.....Can't see those in GC.....3 months to go...Lembeh:smiley20:

chinacat46
09-10-2007, 10:08
I vote for Lembeh Strait as well. Was there in Feb/Mar of this year and it blew me away so much I'm headed back in Dec.

Travelnsj
09-10-2007, 10:29
I vote for Lembeh Strait as well. Was there in Feb/Mar of this year and it blew me away so much I'm headed back in Dec.

We should of timed it better....I'll be there at the end of December.

divingmedic
09-10-2007, 11:34
Coral Spawning trip to the Fower Gardens

WV Diver
09-10-2007, 11:38
Bonaire, hands down. Some of the most diverse and spectacular diving in the world and the freedom of unlimited 24 hour shore diving can not be beat at any price.

lucidblue
10-28-2007, 23:30
My favorite trip has been my most recent trip to Roatan in June, 2007. It was my second time diving in Roatan and it was incredible.

I was diving with Anthony's Key Resort. The only negative thing that I can say about them is that one of the DMs tank banged with a long aluminum stick constantly.

He did it to corral the divers AND to point out various sites. After a while, he became the boy who cried wolf. It became very tempting to pay no attention to his incessant noise making.

But that is the only complaint that I had about their operation.

Can you provide any more information about Anthony's Key? I'm thinking about going late January/early February. How were the rooms/food, etc. Are the boats crowded, etc.? Thanks!

gibson1525
10-29-2007, 17:10
based on diving i'd have to go palau/yap

based on atmosphere, etc. i'd go with montserrat

lovesmexico615
10-30-2007, 09:19
So far, all the vacation diving I've done has been Riviera Maya. Beautiful, but I want to go back to Rangiroa and dive the pass. I was there 3 years ago, and wasn't certified. Other places on the list- Belize, Roatan, and the Keys. I'm sure the list will grow, but not sure my finances will let me get everywhere I would like to see!

Scubakraut
11-02-2007, 01:56
Bali Menjangan was my most favorite location, the sheer diversity in life and coral was astonishing to me.

http://www.waterworxbali.com/Images/Dive-maps/Menjangan.gif