PDA

View Full Version : newby accessories

chewyjr15
09-01-2007, 22:00
thought i would start a thread about what a nooby really needs when purchasing all his gear and to be more specific what accessories are needed, not essential but needed?

Thanks

chewy

finflippers
09-01-2007, 22:05
That would totally depend on the diving you are planning to do.

To start with a knife, a compass, a light if you might be in any water that may become cloudy or low vis.

thesmoothdome
09-01-2007, 22:08
I'd say at a minimum. a whistle and safety sausage.

greyzen
09-01-2007, 22:54
Seriously, check out the post I did:
http://forum.scubatoys.com/showpost.php?p=42135&postcount=17

If you want to put them in order of importance, I would rank them in.
"Will these help me survive" and "Will these help my dive be more comfy"

Knife, noise maker, safety sausage(or lift bag/safety stop bag) = needed
the rest will help you out.

Xspect
09-02-2007, 18:33
The three things I never thought I'll use but is so valuable.

Compass
light - even if you dont do any night diving. Its cool to look into crack and such
Blunt Knife - never know when you are going to pry something. Plus my can of tuna wouldnt open and it came in handy

dmdoss
09-02-2007, 19:09
A knife for sure.

quarrydiver
09-04-2007, 20:20
If you're into lakes, get a good dive knife. If you're doing ocean diving you also need some signaling devices like a sausage, sub duck, whistle, or mirror.

Kidder
09-04-2007, 20:39
Dive knife for lakes is a must. watch out for trot lines. A small light is always good. A compass on a retractor is also useful. I've found that double enders are good for attaching stuff to your BC.

skdvr
09-05-2007, 07:34
EMT shears can come in very handy for cutting any fishing line that you may get tangled up into and would be easier than a knife. A small back up light is always useful. If you have a significant other just make sure you tell them it is a very important part of diving and you have to have one...

Phil

subsur
09-05-2007, 08:58
compass, a light (either primary or back-up), line cutter (it's not a knife per se but does the job cutting a line), pony (especially if you do a lot of deep diving)

mdwestgrl
09-05-2007, 19:35
Would recommend a dive slate, has come in very handy for us on several occassions. Also a good dive knife and small backup light are a must, really helps to have as much on retractors as you can (especially the light). Save a dive kits are a good thing to have also.

skdvr
09-06-2007, 07:20
pony (especially if you do a lot of deep diving)

Good call. I would second the recommendation...

Phil