PDA

View Full Version : Affordable Photo Edit Software???

Blindref757
07-12-2007, 18:30
I'm looking for a PhotoShop type of program that will help me make those dreary blue underwater pictures look better. I don't want to spend an arm and a leg to get some decent quality.

What are some of the software titles that you would suggest...and what techniques would you use for this issue?

cummings66
07-12-2007, 18:36
Gimp. Use whatever you find out there for photoshop.

cyclical
07-12-2007, 18:59
If you have photoshop now... let me know, I can e-mail you a action for photoshop that cleans the picture up a little (if lots of blue).

Blindref757
07-12-2007, 19:10
Does your trick work with Elements?

cummings66
07-12-2007, 20:25
<a href="http://www.gimp.org/windows/" target="_blank">
<DIV>GNU Image Manipulation Program</DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV>http://www.gimp.org/windows/</A> </DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV>It's also and was first available on Linux. The linux version is probably more up to date and IMO stable, based on my experiences with windows that is. The program version available under windows is late enough to be pretty good but I have no idea how close it is to the Linux version.</DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV>Gimp isa clone of the famous photoshop program, almost identical in fact. If you know how to use photoshop you know how to use gimp. Even tutorials for photoshop work in Gimp it's that close.</DIV>
<DIV>
You can use the same tools and clean up, retouch, layer, etc pictures. It's a very decent program. I have no experience with it under windows, but it is on all my Linux systems and it's very nice.</DIV>

Blindref757
07-12-2007, 20:37
Thanks Man!!!

I'll check it out!

cyclical
07-12-2007, 23:28
Does your trick work with Elements?

not sure... it is an action file.

Extension is .atn it goes in the folder C:\Program Files\Photoshop CS\Presets\Actions

cummings66
07-13-2007, 09:35
Thanks Man!!!

I'll check it out!

<DIV></DIV>
<DIV>Let me know how it works, I've never used it under Windows so I'm curious and maybe should give it a try sometime, of course I normally do it under Linux and just copy things back and forth.</DIV>

mmakay
07-13-2007, 10:03
To get rid of dreary blue photos, you don't need Photoshop ... you need a strobe!! Software can fake some colors, but you can't truly add back color that isn't there in the first place.

Blindref757
07-13-2007, 12:12
I have a strobe...but it's like hit or miss. If I aim the strobe directly at the subject, the photo is hotter than a $2 pistol. So, I have to shoot and aim the strobe just above or below the subject, and it just looks like junk. I understand that as I get better, I'll have less of these issues...and I undoubtedly need a better setup along the way--but in the meantime, I need to try and fix as many pics as I can...I don't want to lose some of the memories.

FYI...my gear is this...
SeaLife ReefMaster Mini (../store/detail.asp?PRODUCT_ID=SeaLifeMiniDigitial)
<h3>Reefmaster External Strobe</h3> (../store/detail.asp?PRODUCT_ID=SL960)</font>I think a diffuser might help???

torrey
07-13-2007, 12:43
if I think about it later, I'll try and put down the steps that cyclical's action probably uses. I put the steps in manually once, but they're on my home computer.

CompuDude
07-13-2007, 16:16
I think some more recent versions of Elements can use actions. Give it a try!

If PS is out of your budget, I'd look at Elements. If that's out of the budget, too, perhaps try Picassa, which you can download free from Google. Not as powerful, but it may be enough to get the job done.

Here is a link to the Mandrake Action (as it is referred to): http://www.adobe.com/cfusion/exchange/index.cfm?event=extensionDetail&amp;loc=en_us&amp;extid=10 42430 (http://www.adobe.com/cfusi&#111;n/exchange/index.cfm?&#101;vent=extensi&#111;nDetail&loc=en_us&extid=1042430)

Nothing is perfect, but this is as good as it gets for an automatic action.

torrey
07-14-2007, 00:12
Here are the individual steps for the whitebalance correction action I was referring to:

1. Create 3 duplicate layers (layer / duplicate layer / okay)
2. Activate middle duplicate layer
3. Fill middle duplicate layer with 50% gray (edit / fill / 50% gray, 100% opacity, normal)
4. Activate top duplicate layer
5. Change blending mode to ‘luminosity’ (layer / layer style / blending options / blend mode / luminosity)
6. Merge top layer down into middle layer (layer / merge down)
7. Create new fill layer above merged layer (layer / new fill layer / solid color, group with previous layer)
8. Fill layer with red=255, green=0, blue=0
9. Change fill layer blending mode to ‘multiply’ (layer / layer style / blending options / blend mode / multiply)
10. Merge fill layer down into previous merge layer (layer / merge down)<
11. Change blending mode to ‘screen’ (layer / layer style / blending options / blend mode / screen)
12. Merge this layer down into first duplicate layer (layer / merge down)
13. Run auto-levels (image / adjustments / auto levels
14. Adjust hue and saturation (image / adjust / hue-saturation)
15. Adjust color balance (image / adjust / color balance)
16. Adjust sharpness (filter / sharpen / unsharp mask)
17. Flatten layers (layer / flatten image)

edited to clean up invalid tags from old board.

diversteve
07-14-2007, 04:47
There's also the bring back the reds plug-in.
<DIV>Should work with any recent version of Photoshop - I don't know about Elements...</DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV>http://www.adobe.com/cfusion/exchange/index.cfm?event=extensionDetail&amp;extid=1044520 (http://www.adobe.com/cfusi&#111;n/exchange/index.cfm?&#101;vent=extensi&#111;nDetail&extid=1044520)</DIV>

Blindref757
07-14-2007, 09:20
How do I install these action files?

frankc420
07-14-2007, 10:25
Don't you guys know.. people who are computer savvy never buy softwaresmileys/smiley2.gif

Blindref757
07-14-2007, 10:55
LOL! That's me! I can surf the internet, make simple spreadsheets, and type letters in Word! I'm dangerous with powerpoint...and by the looks of things...I SUCK at digital underwater photography!!!

cummings66
07-16-2007, 22:44
Did you ever download the Gimp software and try it out? Curious about your report if you did. It really is good software, even though it's free.

frankc420
07-16-2007, 23:19
I don't think GIMP is anything like Photoshop.. Maybe it's a setting that I can change, but mine in Windows has no similarities to Photoshop, at all.

cummings66
07-17-2007, 00:02
Mine under Linux is like the older version of photoshop. My windows photoshop is an older version however, I don't know what the new one looks like.
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV>The commands and editing should be the same. Of course we are talking a port and sometimes ports don't come out looking the same. That's one reason I'm curious if he's tried it, you have so tell me what you think about the windows version. Are the commands the same?</DIV>

frankc420
07-17-2007, 00:05
Eh, I'm used to the pre CS photoshop, so no, the menus etc aren't the same :)

Bill22
07-29-2007, 19:57
think a diffuser might help???

I'll start by saying that I am just starting underwater photography, but based on my above water experience then the answer is yes... I think a diffuser would help. It should even out and soften your lighting giving you a more even exposure. Hopefully some of the more experienced "underwater" photgraphers will comment ;-)

nferra2
08-08-2007, 01:04
Gimp is just as powerful tool as photoshop, and at a much better price. I have Photoshop 9 (cs2) and the Gimp software, and sometimes I prefer using the Gimp. The Gimp also has some cool tutorials available that will walk you through just about anything you need to do from beginer through advanced techniques.

Wrayne
08-25-2007, 11:48
Paint Shop Pro and Adobe Elements are also good programs and not too expensive.

Try adjusting Hue/Saturation and Levels to get the tones that you want. This works well, but you might also try a strobe to capture a good photo right from the start. Good luck!

cyclical
08-25-2007, 12:53
If anyone else wants the underwater.atn file for photoshop let me know and I will e-mail it to you... it works great on some images, not so great in others.

Hemlon
08-25-2007, 13:03
I use Photoshop Elements and love it!

Big Mike
11-16-2007, 12:06
I use Corel PhotoPaint. It has an automatic (1 click) setting to curb some of the blues. It does a pretty good job, the Suite is a bit pricey to get started in. I use gimp as well for other shots, I must give it a try for my underwater stuff. Thanks for the idea, who ever suggested it :smiley20:

Puffer Fish
11-16-2007, 13:32
Paint Shop Pro and Adobe Elements are also good programs and not too expensive.

Try adjusting Hue/Saturation and Levels to get the tones that you want. This works well, but you might also try a strobe to capture a good photo right from the start. Good luck!
Paint Sho Pro is by far and away, the closest thing to photoshop. Elements is about 1/2 the tools.

Color correction, if the red is completely gone is not possible, but if it is there at all , it can be put back easily with PSP.

divermike49
11-16-2007, 15:42
I like using Photoshop Elements, using the auto color correct or auto levels
works on al lot of photos. The Mandrake method note above replaces the
missing red colors with the luminance (black and white). It is a lot of steps put works great on some pictures. Photoshop actions don't work
with Photoshop Elements as far as I know.
For more complete control, I like Picture Window Pro from Digital Light and Color Digital Light & Color - Welcome - What's New (http://www.dl-c.com/)
The Mandrake method can work better with PWP as you can have a slider to control the amount of red added to the picture.
control

Scubakraut
11-27-2007, 17:23
Paintshop Pro

Puffer Fish
11-27-2007, 17:32
Paintshop Pro

As a note, it does all the calculations in RBG, so there is no translation changes.

Your avatar reminded me:

http://i78.photobucket.com/albums/j98/garinj/Moonie1a.jpg

Puffer Fish
11-29-2007, 06:25
Having been a really big fan of Paintshop pro... I'm very unhappy to point out that they have a fairly major flaw in their current software...if you open a document (say JPEG.. and do anything to it, you will be prompted when you exit, with the do you want to save? Or, you may just save as you are working.

Either one will "save" the document by replacing it with a really bad compressed jpeg. The original will be lost.

There is an auto save feature that puts a non-compressed version in a different location, but if you don't know about it... or don't have that version, a valuable image can be lost.

If they are going to do that... there should be a warning...as it is easy to do.

Knowing it, you can avoid the issue, but most people will not.

divermike49
11-29-2007, 18:11
Here is a link that explains some of the color correcting and Mandrake
methods you can use:
Scuba Diving Board - Overall Color Correction for Underwater Photographs Using Photoshop (http://www.scubaboard.com/cms/article18-doc5.html)
He descibes using auto methods, selectamatic, and Mandrake for
both Photoshop and Photoshop Elements. I like to use Picture
Window Pro for the selectamatic and Mandrake methods, if the
auto methods in Photoshop Elements don't do the trick.

scubamarc
11-30-2007, 14:25
I use elements, but this is free and no software install
Picnik - edit photos the easy way, online in your browser (http://www.picnik.com/) tell me how it is.

Scubakraut
12-02-2007, 00:56
True, thanks for pointing that out, and yes all previous versions have done so too.

Having been a really big fan of Paintshop pro... I'm very unhappy to point out that they have a fairly major flaw in their current software...if you open a document (say JPEG.. and do anything to it, you will be prompted when you exit, with the do you want to save? Or, you may just save as you are working.

Either one will "save" the document by replacing it with a really bad compressed jpeg. The original will be lost.

There is an auto save feature that puts a non-compressed version in a different location, but if you don't know about it... or don't have that version, a valuable image can be lost.

If they are going to do that... there should be a warning...as it is easy to do.

Knowing it, you can avoid the issue, but most people will not.

lmorin
12-05-2007, 12:55
I use Corel PhotoPaint. It has an automatic (1 click) setting to curb some of the blues. It does a pretty good job, the Suite is a bit pricey to get started in. I use gimp as well for other shots, I must give it a try for my underwater stuff. Thanks for the idea, who ever suggested it :smiley20:

Big Mike--I use Corel also. What do you click to curb the blues? I haven't found anything that gives a decent change.

robcomptec
02-29-2008, 15:50
Here is a link that explains some of the color correcting and Mandrake
methods you can use:
Scuba Diving Board - Overall Color Correction for Underwater Photographs Using Photoshop (http://www.scubaboard.com/cms/article18-doc5.html)
He descibes using auto methods, selectamatic, and Mandrake for
both Photoshop and Photoshop Elements. I like to use Picture
Window Pro for the selectamatic and Mandrake methods, if the
auto methods in Photoshop Elements don't do the trick.

Thanks for the reference! I have bookmarked it for future usage.

- Robert

robcomptec
02-29-2008, 15:56
People have recommended GIMP, as a free photoeditor program.
However, many tutorials are oriented around using Photoshop to do photo-editing.
Perhaps it is time to checkout 'GimpShop'?
It is GIMP with modifications to look and feel like Photoshop.
(Something to consider)

- Robert

Nancy Lynn
03-07-2008, 19:35
Here is an image I corrected using Paintsho Pro 8

Original
http://www.scubaboard.com/gallery/data/500/medium/Tang_Original.jpg

Corrected version:
http://www.scubaboard.com/gallery/data/500/medium/Tang_Fade_Correction.jpg