PDA

View Full Version : Drinking Water underwater?

divechaplain-sara
09-02-2007, 01:42
Friday, I went diving with a new dive buddy. After our second dive, he commented that he had meant to bring a bottle of water so that he could practice drinking water underwater. He said he had read something about it in a tech diving book. I've never seen anyone drinking out of a bottle of water underwater. Anybody out there doing this? How do you keep your fresh water in the bottle from being contaminated by the water you are in? Or was this just a big joke that I am semi-gulliable enough to fall for. I know that my mouth was dry enough a sip of water would have been good.

greyzen
09-02-2007, 09:37
Capri-Sun...

We talked about it in this thread here
http://forum.scubatoys.com/showthread.php?t=2570&highlight=capri

chewyjr15
09-02-2007, 09:46
yup already been discussed and the concensus is capri sun orange flavored

Liv7301
09-02-2007, 09:52
There are ways that you can rig a bladder type system to your gear. It is similar to the Camelback that hikers and backpackers wear. I have no idea though where it would go. Maybe in a decently large pocket? My OW/AOW instructor talked about it but at the time I didn't think to ask about details. The nice thing is that those have a long sipping tube that is flexible and you can get a valve attachment that only lets water out when you draw on it with your mouth. It's a cool idea especially for people on a long dive or if you are prone to dehydration. You'd just have to be careful if you are in a drysuit and all that water drinking caught up with you. :smiley2:

torrey
09-02-2007, 10:54
I've never tried it, but I would think you could take a water bottle with the pop-up top without problems. When ready to drink, stick top in mouth, pull open with teeth, drink, push top back down with teeth. No airspace, so you wouldn't have to worry about compression.

JahJahwarrior
09-02-2007, 10:59
Heck, most of my diving is in springs, I bring empty bottles down with me to refill! :)

Really....look on the side of your water bottle. See where it came from. One brand of water mentions "Ginnie Springs," and I'm proud to say, I've peed in that.

Consequentially, when we get thirsty we swim over near the cave opening and open our mouths. One day we'll probably get some dangerous disease from it but so far we've had good luck. Capri Sun does seem to be a great option, just remember to pack out your trash! For a camelback, try strapping it to your tank. Tech divers sometimes use a camelback bladder stuck in between their doubles.

Liv7301
09-02-2007, 16:32
Really....look on the side of your water bottle. See where it came from. One brand of water mentions "Ginnie Springs," and I'm proud to say, I've peed in that.

The next time I see a bottle of Ginnie Springs sourced water, I will sip, make the refreshing beverage exhale that people make and then announce "It's so thirst-quenching...it must be the urine."

:smilie39:

Krakenn
09-03-2007, 06:07
There is a system invented already that has a contained that goes on the hoses near the first stage then has a little pipe that runs down to the mouth piece with a little squirter pump to pump it into your mouth.

Leisure Pro used to sell it. I thought it was garbage and would cause more problems than assisting with cotton mouth.

Kraks

divechaplain-sara
09-03-2007, 13:56
I've never tried it, but I would think you could take a water bottle with the pop-up top without problems. When ready to drink, stick top in mouth, pull open with teeth, drink, push top back down with teeth. No airspace, so you wouldn't have to worry about compression.

Duh, I hadn't thought of that type of bottle. I could see that being a possibility. I was imagining taking a regular bottle and screwing the lid off and then taking a drink and putting the lid back on, all the while trying to use a glove covered finger to keep the waters from mixing.

divechaplain-sara
09-03-2007, 13:59
One brand of water mentions "Ginnie Springs," and I'm proud to say, I've peed in that.

You aren't the only but it has been 20 years--and realizing that makes me feel old.

greyzen
09-03-2007, 14:12
you guys think too much..

capri-sun (orange flavored) is the end all be all...

divechaplain-sara
09-03-2007, 14:21
you guys think too much..

capri-sun (orange flavored) is the end all be all...

How much stock do you have in Capri-Sun?

Thanks for the link to the other thread I checked it out, but you do seem rather invested in Capri-Sun.

greyzen
09-03-2007, 14:24
heh nope, not invested at all actually (good idea...) just the coolest drink in the capri-sun line..

Capri-sun drink = the coolest
Orange drink = the coolest

Capri-Sun orange drink = ALMOST, but not quite, too cool.