PDA

View Full Version : New learned octopus behavior, interesting

boates
12-15-2009, 14:23
CBC News - Technology & Science - Octopus builds home in coconut shells (http://www.cbc.ca/technology/story/2009/12/15/octopus-coconut-house.html?ref=rss)

navyhmc
12-15-2009, 21:13
Interesting to say the least.

Vlane
12-15-2009, 21:54
And said octopus in action. (http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/science/nature/8408233.stm)

jugglematt
12-15-2009, 23:00
very cool to see

there is a site at home Jervis Bay . where there are a number of octopus (10) living together on a sand flat area , they have actually made homes out of Scallop shells ,

they have all sorts of cool social behavior , like the dominant Occy will drag the smaller animals out of their holes and fight and chase them off , they also approach divers , try and steal cameras ( true) .
climb on to divers and explore them , a very cool experience .

i have video of fighting and the camera stealing behavior.
DSCN0811 on Flickr - Photo Sharing! (http://www.flickr.com/photos/jugglematt/4151973035/)

DSCN0761 on Flickr - Photo Sharing! (http://www.flickr.com/photos/jugglematt/4149886868/)

Matty

chinacat46
12-16-2009, 06:19
I've been to Lembeh Strait 3 times(very soon 4) and I've seen these octopuses a number of times as they are fairly common there. They call them coconut octopus and they are very funny to watch. Hopefully I will see them again on my upcoming trip(I leave Monday).

TJDiver
12-16-2009, 07:35
And said octopus in action. (http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/science/nature/8408233.stm)

Looks like it also found a video system for its new home. :smiley36:

I used to keep an octopus in a marine aquarium I had a long time ago. I put a barnacle cluster in the tank, and Ziggy took up residence in one of the openings and would drag a shell to the opening to use like a door to seal off his home. Feeding time was really interesting too. I would drop a crayfish in the tank, and Ziggy would immediately come out and perch atop the barnacle cluster. He would quickly rotate thru about every color I've seen him display, and then lunge out with tenacles outstretched and cover his prey. When he was finished, there would be nothing but the exoskeleton left. They are really neat creatures.

rayaa3
12-16-2009, 11:56
very cool to see

there is a site at home Jervis Bay . where there are a number of octopus (10) living together on a sand flat area , they have actually made homes out of Scallop shells ,

they have all sorts of cool social behavior , like the dominant Occy will drag the smaller animals out of their holes and fight and chase them off , they also approach divers , try and steal cameras ( true) .
climb on to divers and explore them , a very cool experience .

i have video of fighting and the camera stealing behavior.
DSCN0811 on Flickr - Photo Sharing! (http://www.flickr.com/photos/jugglematt/4151973035/)

DSCN0761 on Flickr - Photo Sharing! (http://www.flickr.com/photos/jugglematt/4149886868/)

Matty

that was pretty neat, thanks for sharing! as neat as it was, at some point I'm thinking "hey you little @#$% give me my camera back!"

Ray

jugglematt
12-16-2009, 12:34
that was pretty neat, thanks for sharing! as neat as it was, at some point I'm thinking "hey you little @#$% give me my camera back!"

Ray

thanks Ray

the big guy in the video has quite a personality . some days you visit and hes like all over you , ready to play , touchy feely , and other days he is not in the mood im not playing today ,
i was able to visit the site 3 times a week for a couple of weeks , by the end the occy definitely recognized me.

im out of the water for a while , but am looking forward to returning
Matt

mitsuguy
12-17-2009, 05:00
I don't think this is anything new... I have seen octopus move things from place to place to build their shelters and close off holes so they can't be seen...

not sure if I consider it use of a tool either - to me (and to those that argue against this) a tool is something used to modify, create, attach, manipulate something else... these guys are simply assembling premade walls - which is great, but I don't think its anything that people haven't been observing for years and years anyways...

boates
12-17-2009, 11:57
true, they've been studying these particular octos 10 yrs.

New, yes, the study shows this as a use of tools in the sense that when these octos move, they carry their c-shell(s) with them. Cover is so scarce there that they cannot gain cover any other way. So it problem solving(safety) through the use of tools(shells). They also had to modify the way they move (on tentacle tips, with shell under body).Shell Shock: Octopus Is Newest, Perhaps Oddest Tool-user - Tonic (http://www.tonic.com/article/octopus-newest-perhaps-oddest-tool-user/)

Anyway, the scientific community sees this as a 1st.

RogerAg
12-17-2009, 17:40
[QUOTE=With the privilege of diving, comes the responsibility of conservation.[/QUOTE]

:lin:

Interesting My motto is:
If it moves KILL IT.
If it doesn't move DEVELOP IT.
If it seems like its worth something EXPLOIT IT.

Remember the 10th rule of Acquisition is: Greed is eternal.
Rule 29: What's in it for me?
Rule 41: Profit is its own reward.
Rule 49: Everything is worth something to somebody.
Rule 181: Not even dishonesty can tarnish the shine of profit.
Rule 202: The justification of profit is profit.

:bush2:

Smashee
12-17-2009, 17:58
New, yes, the study shows this as a use of tools in the sense that when these octos move, they carry their c-shell(s) with them.

Are you suggesting coconuts are migratory?

inventor
12-17-2009, 18:45
New, yes, the study shows this as a use of tools in the sense that when these octos move, they carry their c-shell(s) with them.

It all depends on the wingspan of a swallow.

Damselfish
12-17-2009, 19:43

African or European?

inventor
12-17-2009, 19:51

African or European?

Well, I don't know that... Woahhh....:smiley36:

boates
12-17-2009, 20:00
[quote=With the privilege of diving, comes the responsibility of conservation.

Interesting My motto is:
If it moves KILL IT.
If it doesn't move DEVELOP IT.
If it seems like its worth something EXPLOIT IT.

Remember the 10th rule of Acquisition is: Greed is eternal.
Rule 29: What's in it for me?
Rule 41: Profit is its own reward.
Rule 49: Everything is worth something to somebody.
Rule 181: Not even dishonesty can tarnish the shine of profit.
Rule 202: The justification of profit is profit.

:bush2:[/quote]

boates
12-17-2009, 20:02
[quote=RogerAg;352855][quote=With the privilege of diving, comes the responsibility of conservation.

Interesting My motto is:
If it moves KILL IT.

So, are we to assume YOU never move?:smiley36:

Sorry, this just struck me funny(in an odd way):smiley29:

RogerAg
12-19-2009, 11:44
Originally Posted: With the privilege of diving, comes the responsibility of conservation.[/QUOTE

I'm really sorry but I could NOT agree with that statement. I don't see diving as a privilege I see it as a RIGHT! When I dive I sometimes KILL something and eat it later (Some divers are horrified when they see me with a nice lobster on my spear) When I take a photo of something on a reef and there is a surge or current I sometimes put a finger on the reef to steady my shot (Some divers are horrified when they see me touching the reef) One time on a dive boat in Kona Hawaii we were watching a pod of Spinner Dolphins, I pointed out a small one to a friend that it would make a nice barbecue. A woman eavesdroping in was so horrified that she later told the dive shop owner of the boat that she would never dive with them again.

Another case in point, lets change the original statement:
Originally Posted: With the privilege of DRIVING, comes the responsibility of OBEYING THE LAW .[/QUOTE
Driving is a privilege that can be taken away! But diving is not a privilege and It can not be taken away. Granted some dive boats might not let you dive with them if you brake their rules, but thy cant take my C-Card away, and even if they did I have never been asked to show a C-Card to fill a tank or buy gear.

Travelnsj
12-19-2009, 12:44
In Lembeh I've seen the coconut octopus in bottles, cans, coconut shells etc....don't think that is anything new.

boates
12-20-2009, 09:53
Roger, yee-ouch!
Never thought my personal signature would irk like this.
I do feel diving is a privilege. I feel travel in general is a privilege. Just my opinion, that's it, that's all.
I have no problem with hunting, as long as the animal taken is respected enough to be used properly, as food, tools, clothing, etc., not to become a trophy for bone headed braggarts.
I have no problem with self preservation and safety, I've been slammed by current and had to hand over hand crawl up a coral wall to get out of it. I do however, have a problem with people sitting in sponges, grabbing at puffers, laying or holding onto corals, and so on for pictures.

And, your right driving is a privilege, not a right, as so many people seem to think. This is not a matter of opinion, it is a fact.

A right is the freedom to speak your opinion, which is what we do, that's it opinion. Of course another right is to disagree with others opinions. :smiley32:

Cheers

In Lembeh I've seen the coconut octopus in bottles, cans, coconut shells etc....don't think that is anything new.

Have you read the articles, listened to the scientists involved, that explain as to why this behavior is different? Just curious.

Travelnsj
12-20-2009, 10:28

Have you read the articles, listened to the scientists involved, that explain as to why this behavior is different? Just curious.

No...really not going to spend hours doing all that research (would rather be out enjoying the SoCal weather...LOL)...but read the article you gave a link to. I read nothing in that article that was different from what I've seen in Lembeh.

boates
12-20-2009, 10:58
No...really not going to spend hours doing all that research (would rather be out enjoying the SoCal weather...LOL)...but read the article you gave a link to. I read nothing in that article that was different from what I've seen in Lembeh.[/quote]

Aaaahhhhh, California dreaming!
Sitting here -20c, wind chill factor, awaiting the east coast blizzard heading this way:hidesbehindsofa:, just hitting N.S. southern tip now.

DigbyHarbourCam (http://www.novascotiawebcams.ca/digbyharbour/)

Travelnsj
12-20-2009, 11:46
DigbyHarbourCam (http://www.novascotiawebcams.ca/digbyharbour/)

YIKES:smiley21:...LOL...stay warm:smiley20:...going for my bike ride!

boates
12-20-2009, 13:56
:smiley36:

I'll be going out for my snowshoes now!

http://www.halifaxwebcam.ca/live/index.php?CURRENT_CAM=chebuctohead&SET_CAM=chebuctohead

RogerAg
12-20-2009, 15:08

Hi Boates

No I do not believe what is said by scientists, our leaders and textbooks, case in point:

Textbooks:
George Washington was not our first President, John Hanson was but what does the textbooks say.

Leaders:
Dwight Eisenhower was considered the soldiers General. Did you know that after WWII thousands of US prisoners of war in the Soviet Union were still prisoners and Eisenhower not only know it but did not tell the American people. THOSE PRISONERS NEVER CAME HOME!!

Lyndon Johnson kept telling the American people that we will win in VietNam, all the time knowing that we could not win. And he kept sending Mother and Fathers sons and daughters to die for a lost cause.

Agent Orange; We were told that agent orange was safe all the while our government know that it would kill in a horrible death not only our troops but indigent peoples and animals.

Remember Nixon was not crook and Clinton did not have sex with that woman! How do we know? BECAUSE THEY TOLD US!

Scientists:
I have a book on Natural History written by scientists in the 1800s that said that Crocodiles eat their own young out of the nest.
and scientists also said that the earth is flat, the universe revolves around the earth etc.

Now we hear that some scientists are fudging the numbers on global warming. Yes I believe that the earth is worming BUT is it man made or a natural occurrence that can not be stopped?

Remember when we needed to eat Margarine because Butter was bad? Or drink Uncaffeined Coffee? Now they tell us that caffeine is a cancer inhabiter and the chemicals that take caffeine out of Coffee is harmful. Which brings to mind something else about fudging the numbers. We all use water to make Coffee but you can't add 10 cups of water to a 10 cup Coffee Maker because a cup of water is 8 ounces but a cup of Coffee in only 5 ounces.

Americans are hated in the world:
Liberals say we need to "pay back" meaning that we somehow owe others for our existence on this planet.
We need to help other peoples even if they don't what it.
We need to show other peoples the err of their ways.
That is some of the reasons that Americans are so hated in the world.
You might have noticed that one of the statements I make is:
I am from Vancouver not BC, Washington not DC, however when I am in other countries I simply say that I am from Vancouver Washington, I always get the response "Canadian" and I always say HEY.

No I do not believe what is said by scientists, our leaders and what is in textbooks:

inventor
12-20-2009, 16:42
No I do not believe what is said by scientists, our leaders and what is in textbooks:

You're gonna be real happy about this time next year. They're gonna be changing textbooks.
:smiley20:

boates
12-20-2009, 19:49
Woah, Rodger, take a deep breath,

I answered you, signed off with Cheers and moved onto J...with the quote He knew and responded.

That being said,
1st. The term is not Hey, it's Eh (prounced A). I'm American too, just happen to live in Canada. Shocker!

I find it interesting that you would go back to when the world was "flat".......digging deep, my friend, no scientists at the time believed the world was flat. It was the Church that said the world was flat. It was Ptolemy that said that the heavens moved around a static earth. Which may have lead the early church to hold that the Earth was flat, but even the church had dismissed that prior to 1492.

Global warming, who's to say if its a matter of natural events, or what we're doing to the atmosphere,,,,,,I certainly don't know. But the preponderance of nobel scientists and most govmt's around the world agree that climate change is caused by human activity. The only people who don't are oil industry stooges.

SEMO Scuba
12-20-2009, 20:18
Hi,
My name is Bill and I must be an oil stooge.

RogerAg
12-21-2009, 10:31
1st. The term is not Hey, it's Eh (prounced A). I'm American too, just happen to live in Canada. Shocker!

Thanks for that bit of information but you have to understand that it was NOT MY FAULT even though I was lazy and stupid in school 55 years ago and refused to learn to spell, now days it is THE TEACHERS FAULT! Its interesting to note that sociologists are now saying that I was intimidated by a room of to many smart children in my class, and they should have been brought down to MY LEVEL!

But the preponderance of nobel scientists and most govmt's around the world agree that climate change is caused by human activity. The only people who don't are oil industry stooges.

You mean like Al Gore and his book An Inconvenient Truth? I wonder how many trees were cut down to print that thing? Al should have made the book available online after all HE DID INVENT THE INTERNET!

TJDiver
12-21-2009, 10:55
Hi,

Hi,
My name is John, and I must be high...I thought we were talking about octopi? :smiley36:

inventor
12-21-2009, 12:33
Delayed Onset Narcossis

RogerAg
12-21-2009, 13:27
Hi,

Hi,
My name is John, and I must be high...I thought we were talking about octopi? :smiley36:

Sorry about that John but I was taken back by the statement "With the privilege of diving, comes the responsibility of conservation."

Getting back to octopi,

I usually catch them by hand and after some work I take them home, I marinade the limbs for about 24 hrs. or so and have poky the next day. If I get a really big one, my wife will deep fry the limbs and have salted peppered octo. And No they do not taste like Chicken. But they are Finger Licking Good!
:chickendance::

boates
12-25-2009, 22:06
Sorry about that John but I was taken back by the statement "With the privilege of diving, comes the responsibility of conservation."

Getting back to octopi,

I usually catch them by hand and after some work I take them home, I marinade the limbs for about 24 hrs. or so and have poky the next day. If I get a really big one, my wife will deep fry the limbs and have salted peppered octo. And No they do not taste like Chicken. But they are Finger Licking Good!
:chickendance::[/quote]

Holy crap.....again with my signature!

Let me state 1 more time.... I have no problem with hunting and gathering, as long as it's responsible. By that I mean food, not a trophy for the wall.

Correct me if I'm wrong here, but I think divers do care about conservation, no touch, no take.

Spearfishers are, generally responsible, hunter gathers, I understand that. I'm talking about preserving the reefs/nature. In particular, no diver coral crashing. Huge issue.

Conservation, for example, when visiting the islands take your spent batteries home with you to be processed correctly. Many islands don't have recycling facilities. Do what you can. It's not hard.

And yes, I do think diving is a privilege, as is travel, or just being invited into someones home. Many folks can't travel, or are very alone, for whatever reason.

Enjoy what you have.

cheers

RogerAg
12-26-2009, 11:08
Again I'm Sorry but I was taken back by the statement "With the privilege of diving, comes the responsibility of conservation." One reason why is the first time I noticed it, I did not notice any thing else that explained it. I did not know that you consider it a Signature.

All I saw was Just another Wacko Conservationist, like Al Gore who invented the internet or Trace Arrow who firebombs logging trucks and SUVs. Another Conservationist here in the NW (and I don't remember his name) lives in a two story LOG house in Bend OR. No I think most Conservationist are Hypocrites.

I used to send all my old TVs a Computers to recyclers. Then I found out where those TVs and Computers were going. To China were Children are separating the parts and melting components for lead and mercury. And now that I said the "L" word, let me ask you something? When you are diving in the Islands do you take your own lead weights on the plane, or do you rent them from a diveshop use what is given you on the boat? Most soft lead pouches contain lead shot that is not coated to protect the environment. If you use a weight belt, most of the places I go use uncovered lead weights. Thatís starting to change, but do you refuse to use unprotected lead weights?

When you buy a Ink cartridge for your printer they also include a FREE mailer so you can recycle your spent cartridges, and get the worm fuzzy feeling all over. But the real reason for that mailer is because the Printer Manufacture Companies donít want you to re-ink them yourself saving you money but costing the companies in loss sales. Which brings up something else. If anyone out there has spent cartridges for a Epson 777, I will pay $3.00 for each color and $1.50 for each BW Ink Cartridge. You can then have that fuzzy feeling and have money in your pocket.

Correct me if I'm wrong here, but I think divers do care about conservation, no touch, no take.
I think your wrong, I don't think divers really think about conservation. When a diver is on land and at a store do they take paper bags instead of plastic? Or better yet Reusable Cloth Bags. Buy something at a dive shop and see if you leave with it in a plastic bag.

And yes, I do think diving is a privilege, as is travel, or just being invited into someones home.
Now that is something I can agree on.
GOD Created the Heavens and the Earth, and He Created Us, Only through the Grace of GOD that we exists.
So just being here on this planet and breathing is a privilege.
So again Iím sorry for the misunderstanding.:smiley20: