View Full Version : Canon 50D housing and domes

12-16-2009, 10:06
Whats the suggestion on a Ikelite housing (as it seems to be the best bang for the buck) Ikelite Underwater Camera Housing for Canon 40D & 50D (http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001LGHEWO?ie=UTF8&tag=whicolnom-20&linkCode=xm2&camp=1789&creativeASIN=B001LGHEWO)
plus lens setup. I recon I can't use my canon 18-200 IS lens that I use as a walk around lens? I may get a a wide angle lens but I'm at a loss to what type of lens? Plus choose the dome. All in all I don't want to exceed a budget for $2k for ikelite housing, dome, lens and strobe system.
Thanks for any suggestions.

12-16-2009, 10:23
I believe the $2k budget will need to be re-thought. I would guess with just the housing, ports, strobes and acceseries you would be looking at $3-5k. If you need additional lenses or whatever that would be on top of the U/W equipment.

Ikelite SLR-DC Housing for Canon 40D & 50D $1,424.95
Port options: Canon SLR Port Chart (http://ikelite.com/web_pages/2port_canon.html)

Click here (javascript:popup('../web_two/uttlslrstrob.html',700,900)) for more information on substrobe packages.
Click here (javascript:popup('../web_pages/uttlssnreq.html',700,900)) for circuitry requirements by serial number.
Non-Ikelite strobes can be used, but they cannot provide eTTL exposure or be adjusted manually through the housing. Special sync cords are available to connect non-Ikelite strobes from Nikonos, Inon, and Sea & Sea.

12-16-2009, 10:31
one other question would be, could I fit my 18-200 lens into any of Ikelites ports? I would not use the full zoom obviously. I read somewhere that someone used a Ikelite port to "squeeze" a tamrom 18-200 in #5503.80 domed port only using it from 18-70mm zoom without vignetting.
I know this would not be the perfect setup but would it work and how well the picture quality vs a Canon 18-55 lens? Which seems the same in my eyes.

12-16-2009, 10:39
I have been told that this would no be possible (with Sea & Sea and Nikon) but it would all depend on the measurements of the gears, tubes and ports used. I do not believe you will find anything available for that kind of zoom.

12-16-2009, 10:42
Your best bet is to contact a dealer and tell them what camera you plan to use as the base and discuss your options. I have found that the lenss choices that I made for topside photography were not always what would have been needed for U/W.

12-16-2009, 19:36
I shoot a Canon 50D in an Ikelite housing. Unfortunately, it's well over a 2k investment. Cost wise, you're looking at $1400.00 for the housing, $800.00 per strobe, which if you want to shoot wide angle, you'll need 2 to cover the width. DS125s or 160s only cover about 105 degrees. Dual sync cords run about $160.00. the 8" dome you'll want for wide angle shooting runs arund $425.00. If you choose to go macro, the port will run about $150.00. Don't forget you'll need a case to store and travel with all this gear, so toss in another $200.00. If you need new lenses, figure to add another $1000.00 to cover wide angle and macro.

Even if you could squeeze an 18-200 into a port, most of the zoom range would be wasted. You want to minimize the distance between lens and subject, so I wouldn't even try to find a port to fit it. You'd be better off with a Canon 18-75 in a 6" dome port if you wanted some zoom.

For wide angle I shoot the Tokina 10-17mm Fisheye in an 8" dome. You have to remove the shade on the dome or you'll see it when shooting at 10mm.

The Canon 100mm macro is a great macro lens. I shoot it in th 6" flat port with manual focus knob. I've heard the Canon 60mm macro is a bit more forgiving due to a larger depth of field, but I've never shot it so I can't tell you how much easier it is.