PDA

View Full Version : Disappointed in My LDS

creggur
09-02-2007, 08:18
I have rented tanks from my LDS a number of times without problem. They have the lowest tank rental in town and I have developed a good rapport with them. I have made a few purchases there and go there to rent tanks quite often.

I rented two tanks this weekend so the wife and I could work on weighting and bouyancy in our pool. I was a little startled this morning when we were sitting on the back porch, and I noticed the original Hydro on the tank was 1989.. Upon further inspection I saw that it is a Luxfer tank that has the 3AL and funny looking "A" in the hydro text. Upon checking the other threads on the board here, I found that this is one of the tanks that "most" shops won't fill. I'm a little upset that the shop is still renting this tank.

I will check the tanks from now on when I pick them up. Would you guys say anything to the LDS about this? I have developed a good relationship with the shop, and don't want to ruin that, but I don't think they should be renting this tank. Especially since it's probably used mostly by students, or newbies that wouldn't have the information about potential problems with these tanks. I'm even more upset that the thing was sitting in the back of my car for half a day in the Florida heat on Friday.

FishFood
09-02-2007, 08:33
Id say something. Maybe they havent realized that tank was in their collection? I know Im reaching...

scubasamurai
09-02-2007, 08:36
that could be too, but in the end it is up to your to check the tank and check with the lds on what tanks they will fill.

Hemlon
09-02-2007, 08:39
that could be too, but in the end it is up to your to check the tank and check with the lds on what tanks they will fill.

The tanks in question are rentals. The OP isn't trying to get his own personal tanks filled.

scubasamurai
09-02-2007, 08:45
sorry i misread , i thought he bought the tanks from the lds! but even if it is a rental theroically you are suppose to check dates on the tanks like he stated he will do. but realisticly , including myself, most do not which is not a good thing. live and learn

creggur
09-02-2007, 08:53
sorry i misread , i thought he bought the tanks from the lds! but even if it is a rental theroically you are suppose to check dates on the tanks like he stated he will do. but realisticly , including myself, most do not which is not a good thing. live and learn

My point exactly. It's not like the information about these tanks is posted anywhere in the shop. If I hadn't been a frequent participant in this forum I wouldn't even have known about a potential problem. The tank is within hydro and vis. so by all indication it would be fine...

I will definately check from now on before taking a tank from any rental operation...Like you said, live and learn..

scubasamurai
09-02-2007, 09:10
exactly i am going to do the same, who knows what your really breathing, but the sad part is, it was with a shop that you had a good relationship with and they still "burn" you.

awap
09-02-2007, 09:16
Perhaps this ia another indication that the industry, in some locations, may be overreacting to what may be a relatively small problem.
Why don't you talk to the shop to get their position on this. If they see no problem in filling and using these tanks, maybe you could ID the shop so folks with older tanks know where to take theirs to get fills.

creggur
09-02-2007, 09:16
The exact reason I will continue to use ST for most of my purchases.. I've never had an issue with them, and trust that they would do the right thing. I read in one thread here that when the warning about these tanks came out Larry got rid of all of his... Consistantly doing the right thing..hmm a novel concept..

It does suck though, ya know.. You try to build a relationship with what appears to be a pretty decent operation and something like this happens. I will hold off final judgement until I return the tank and talk to them about my concerns.. We'll see how they handle it...

Hemlon
09-02-2007, 09:24
It does suck though, ya know.. You try to build a relationship with what appears to be a pretty decent operation and something like this happens. I will hold off final judgement until I return the tank and talk to them about my concerns.. We'll see how they handle it...

Are you going to be upset if they dismiss your concern and keep the tanks in service?

I'm not sure what you hope to achieve.

chewyjr15
09-02-2007, 09:24
perfect excuse to buy some of your OWN tanks for you and your wife tell her its a "Safefty thing" :smiley2:

Hemlon
09-02-2007, 09:26
perfect excuse to buy some of your OWN tanks for you and your wife tell her its a "Safefty thing" :smiley2:

Excellent!

:smilie39:

creggur
09-02-2007, 09:37
Are you going to be upset if they dismiss your concern and keep the tanks in service?

I'm not sure what you hope to achieve.

I will probably be more dissapointed than upset..They seem like a decent operation. Nice folks, pleasant to deal with, and are pretty active in running trips for newer divers. However after reading the thread about this a few minutes ago where Larry said he wouldn't even ride in a car with one of these tanks I feel my concerns are justified.

This isn't like they charged me too much for an accessory or something. This seems to be a real safety issue. I'm not being an alarmist here, but seriously, why take a chance with someones safety over an issue that is a known problem. I mean just to err on the side of caution, how much would it cost them to remove the tank from service? If it's been in service since 1989 haven't they made their profit on it in 18 years. Sell the thing for scrap an replace it with a new tank..

creggur
09-02-2007, 09:39

This was part of the conversation this morning:smiley20:. Never let an opportunity to justify more gear pass you by!!! That's my motto anyway!!:smilie39:

Capt Hook
09-02-2007, 10:04
I thought the only hazard with these tanks was while being filled. I have never heard of one exploding with being used.

creggur
09-02-2007, 10:11
I thought the only hazard with these tanks was while being filled. I have never heard of one exploding with being used.

From what I understand most have been while filling. There have been a couple of instances where the rupture occured afterward.

JahJahwarrior
09-02-2007, 10:51
Hey, that tank is fine! Luxfer switched to the more modern alloy in 87, if I remember correctly, and were completely switched over before 89. The only reason to get worried is if it has "E6498" stamped on it, in which case I'm wrong and for some reason that's a 6351 alloy cylinder. But I'm fairly certain that my sources were correct and that I remember them correctly. And if I do, that's a safe tank. Many shops just say "nothing older than 90" because they don't know history, or that the real danger lies in which alloy, not the age, as Catalina has never used the 6351 alloy.

As for when the explosions were, I want to say that atleast one has cracked/leaked in a shed, but I don't remember well enough to say where that was or when, if it did happen. Usually they crack while being filled, like when you bend a paperclip, over time you can tell that it's getting weaker, right? Usually it breaks the next time you bend it, not when it's just sitting there. However, a few "close calls" had the tanks doing what they were supposed to do if they failed: leaking air, rather than exploding. The tanks are supposed to crack somewhat anddrain the air. The problem is, SLC causes them to generally "seperate" and pieces fly everywhere and then so do blood and some body parts.

divinginn
09-02-2007, 12:13
i had one with a crack in the neck a few years ago,it really does happen,it scared the crap out of me.Now im just staying with steel tanks,i have never had any problems with them. I have one with a 1966 hydro and another with a 1973 orginal hydro. have been diving them close to thirty years,i wish all my other gear would last as long as those tanks.

JahJahwarrior
09-02-2007, 12:54
There is a guy on Decostop selling two steel 72's with a 200 bar din valve that are in hydro for a few more years but need a vip for $50 a piece. He's also got them listed on cavediver.net. He's in the same town as me, an dI keep thinking about it.....:)

awap
09-02-2007, 13:03
Hey, that tank is fine! Luxfer switched to the more modern alloy in 87, if I remember correctly, and were completely switched over before 89. The only reason to get worried is if it has "E6498" stamped on it, in which case I'm wrong and for some reason that's a 6351 alloy cylinder. But I'm fairly certain that my sources were correct and that I remember them correctly. And if I do, that's a safe tank. Many shops just say "nothing older than 90" because they don't know history, or that the real danger lies in which alloy, not the age, as Catalina has never used the 6351 alloy.

My understanding is that the switch was not that clean in terms of date and markings. Thus, many fillers are just saying no to anything before 1990. For some, the problem may be ther perceived extra risk. But for others, the problem is finding a shop that will fill them.

Jamesmb
09-02-2007, 13:23

My understanding is that the switch was not that clean in terms of date and markings. Thus, many fillers are just saying no to anything before 1990. For some, the problem may be ther perceived extra risk. But for others, the problem is finding a shop that will fill them.

Just another huge case of misinformation that most take as gospel. Many perfectly fine and SAFE older tanks being wasted for no valid reason.

ReefHound
09-02-2007, 14:04
What's the misinformation? It's a fact that many fill stations are refusing to fill tanks older than 1990. You can argue til the cows come home about whether they *should* but that ain't gonna get your tank filled.

finflippers
09-02-2007, 14:28
As long as the shop is having the tanks Hydro tested and visualized on time I see no problem with them renting the tanks out. The cracks form over time and should be detected long before they get bad enough to do any damage if visualized every year by a trained technician. If a tank is going to have a problem it will be during the filling process and not during use. As far as it being left in the trunk I was taught to never leave any tank in the trunk even if it was brand new because of it getting to hot in the trunk for the tank.

JahJahwarrior
09-02-2007, 14:38

Eh, if you have a tank that is marked as being one thing, and it's actually not, you have a very good lawsuit for fraud right there.

Here is the data from Luxfer:
Data from Luxfer (http://www.luxfercylinders.com/support/bulletins/20031112.shtml)

Aluminum 80's were changed in January of 88. I don't care what any scuba shop says, because according to the company that makes the tank, who would know better than the scuba store, if I have a tank made in February of 88, it's made out of 6061. :)

As long as the tank is an aluminum 80, then if the original hydro was in 89, and it's a Luxfer, then it is the modern, 6061 alloy, which has not been shown to have any defects or problems with SLC, it is perfectly safe (I'd be glad to straddle it while they fill it) and you should have no concerns or problems with your LDS.

awap
09-02-2007, 14:48
[QUOTE=JahJahwarrior;42613Eh, if you have a tank that is marked as being one thing, and it's actually not, you have a very good lawsuit for fraud right there.

Here is the data from Luxfer:
Data from Luxfer (http://www.luxfercylinders.com/support/bulletins/20031112.shtml)

Aluminum 80's were changed in January of 88. I don't care what any scuba shop says, because according to the company that makes the tank, who would know better than the scuba store, if I have a tank made in February of 88, it's made out of 6061. :)

As long as the tank is an aluminum 80, then if the original hydro was in 89, and it's a Luxfer, then it is the modern, 6061 alloy, which has not been shown to have any defects or problems with SLC, it is perfectly safe (I'd be glad to straddle it while they fill it) and you should have no concerns or problems with your LDS.[/QUOTE]

Yep, that's what they say. But what really matters is what the guy says who you are asking to fill your tank. He probably have no objection to you straddljng the tank .... while you fill it with your compressor in your facility.

JahJahwarrior
09-02-2007, 15:21
Yep, that's what they say. But what really matters is what the guy says who you are asking to fill your tank. He probably have no objection to you straddljng the tank .... while you fill it with your compressor in your facility.

Let me put it this way: what matters is what the guy filling the tank says. what Matters is the truth. If you have a good tank and any place refuses to fill it because they think it's made of the bad alloy, bring in the Luxfer technical bulletin that proves them wrong. Call Luxfer in the store and ask even. If the shop monkey refuses, ask to talk to the owner or manager. If they still won't see the light, walk out and don't go back. Find a different shop that operates on what is the truth, not on their preconceived notions of the truth. Or, buy a compressor. You can get used ones for $1500 or so that'll work. Take a gas class first though, even if only mixing air, and get a book on building a fill station. Get friends to get fills from you, and charge them 1/2 the price of the LDS. :)

None of that applies if your tank is made from 6351, if it IS made of 6351, you are out of luck, toss the tank or send it to the scrapyard. Not worth the hassle.

Now, if the shop refuses to fill because they didn't vip it, find a different shop. If the shop refsues to fill it because it is out of vip or hdro, then get it vipped or hydroed. And as soon as you can, buy steel tanks and sell the aluminum one on ebay.

creggur
09-02-2007, 15:38
This was discussed pretty extensively here

http://forum.scubatoys.com/showthread.php?t=1326&highlight=luxfer

which was the reason for my initial post this morning. The tank that I rented has a first hydro in 89 so it's probably fine, however I will be playing it safe with tanks that I rent from now on. Why take the chance..
After reading the thread here and gaining a better understanding of the tank situation, I guess the LDS technically isn't doing anything wrong renting the tank. I didn't mention them by name because I didn't want to slander them if I was incorrect about the situation.
When I do buy tanks they'll probably be steel anyway....

scubasamurai
09-03-2007, 08:27
i found this statement doing a little research never a good thing to do on the weekends, but i wasn;t diving

http://www.luxfercylinders.com/news/releases/20070601.shtml

JahJahwarrior
09-03-2007, 09:32
Good find, Scubasamurai! Before every freaks out though, remember that it says it only applies to SCBA and paintball tanks and NOT scuba tanks.

Black-Gorrilla
09-03-2007, 12:50
talk to the shop owners, but speak with the right tone... dont make it seem like "YOU DO THIS ON PURPOSE YOU CHEAPASS!!" be easygoing and discuss the problem, and mention what the problem is and be open to his response too... and if he says something like "we know and dont care" then you know where not to go anymore.

creggur
09-03-2007, 14:12
Talked to the owner when I returned the tanks today. Basically he said that they got rid of all the tanks that could have a problem. He said the tank I had was not made of the 6351 alloy and that it was verified with Luxfer or they wouldn't have kept the tank.

I was very nice about the situation, and was genuinely interested in their position on the whole thing. And he said if I didn't want to rent a tank older than a 90 hydro for fear that I wouldn't be able to get a fill somewhere, it was no problem. They only have a couple that old anyway.

All in all a good trip and a good conversation with the LDS about it. I still don't understand though, why you wouldn't just get rid of the couple you have left in your rental fleet if it could possibly pose a problem for your customer getting a fill somewhere. Oh well, like I said before live and learn..

One other thing though. While I was there I had him price out a hose/swivel combo that I had Joe price for me the other day. Their price was 50% higher than ST.:smiley29: Same brand, same length hose...So I will save $70.00 on two of them. So my business dealings with them will remain primarily tank rentals/air fills.

in_cavediver
09-03-2007, 14:20
..... I still don't understand though, why you wouldn't just get rid of the couple you have left in your rental fleet if it could possibly pose a problem for your customer getting a fill somewhere. ....

First, look at like this. He probably teaches and has tanks for that as well. (all part of one big rental fleet). Why get rid of a perfectly good tank that he can use there. (remember, its not 6351, just an 80's tank)

I personally think those shops with the no earlier than 90's rules are a bit off. (not to be confused with the no 6351 rules which I can see the place for). Its just an acceptance/acknowledgement that those shops fill people can't ID a 6351 tank so they have to use hydro dates instead.

creggur
09-03-2007, 15:04
First, look at like this. He probably teaches and has tanks for that as well. (all part of one big rental fleet). Why get rid of a perfectly good tank that he can use there. (remember, its not 6351, just an 80's tank)

I understand where you are coming from here, and from now on I will just pick a newer tank when I go in to rent.

I would have been more upset had I rented the tank and driven 2 hours to the springs to dive and couldn't get a refill there. Whether the policy is right or wrong if someone refuses to fill the tank there isn't much you can do about it.

If you only have a couple and want to use them for student's just label them "pool only" or "training only" or something so the above mentioned situation doesn't happen to one of your rental customers...

Manny-R
09-03-2007, 17:03
good thing the shop was good about this, instead of being an ahole to the customer.

scubasamurai
09-03-2007, 17:36
Good find, Scubasamurai! Before every freaks out though, remember that it says it only applies to SCBA and paintball tanks and NOT scuba tanks.

sounds like it, just becareful , and if you have a problem get a different tank or a different dive shop. after this posting i am now double checking all my tanks and their inspections. eduction is priceless

chewyjr15
09-03-2007, 18:03
im glad that they reacted in a positive way rather than a negative so atleast you can keep some buisness with them

JahJahwarrior
09-04-2007, 08:19
I would have been more upset had I rented the tank and driven 2 hours to the springs to dive and couldn't get a refill there. Whether the policy is right or wrong if someone refuses to fill the tank there isn't much you can do about it.

The shop you should have been upset with is the shop that refused to fill it, claiming it was dangerous. They have no reason to say that. That'd be like you doing your homework and your teacher graded it and you got a 95, then the end of the year rolls around and another teacher looks at your answers, doesn't like them, and changes your grade to an F on your final report card so you fail. Who should you be mad at? The teacher that gave you the 95 or the F? There was no reason to give an F, as the teacher who knew what she was doing already said it was good and you were good to go. I know it would be frustrating, but I think your frustration should be with the shop that refuses to fill a perfectly good tank.

If you are so concerned with this, then go buy your own tanks! How much does it cost to rent a tank each time? Here, it's about $9. How far away is the shop? How much does gas cost you, and how much does your car depreciate every year, and what are your maintennance costs per mile? I think you'll find that if you rent tanks more than 10-12 times a year, you could have purchased a new tank for the money. Then it's yours, you always can have gas on hand so you don't need to run by a shop first, and it's brand spanking new! (maybe a year out from original hydro, anything more, ask for a discount!) You can also buy steel, and no steel tank has ever suffered from anything like SLC.

ScaredSilly
09-04-2007, 14:36
Ad nauseum

Read this:
http://hazmat.dot.gov/pubs/reports/cylinder/3al_advisory.pdf

If a cylinder falls under the above, then the next hydro ya gotta do this:

http://dmses.dot.gov/docimages/pdf97/411928_web.pdf

Anything else out there is BS.

QED

That said a store can do whatever they damn well please - however it may not please you or them.

creggur
09-04-2007, 15:26
The shop you should have been upset with is the shop that refused to fill it, claiming it was dangerous. They have no reason to say that. That'd be like you doing your homework and your teacher graded it and you got a 95, then the end of the year rolls around and another teacher looks at your answers, doesn't like them, and changes your grade to an F on your final report card so you fail. Who should you be mad at? The teacher that gave you the 95 or the F? There was no reason to give an F, as the teacher who knew what she was doing already said it was good and you were good to go. I know it would be frustrating, but I think your frustration should be with the shop that refuses to fill a perfectly good tank.

Look man I understand where you are coming from here, and I appreciate your passion for the letter of the law regarding these tanks. The reality of the situation is if somebody refuses to fill the tank, you don't really have a leg to stand on. You can jump up and down, and quoute OSHA notices all day long, the guy with the whip can decide for whatever reason he's not going to fill your tank. It's not like he's bound by law to fill your tank, and if he refuses there's really nothing you can say..

If you are so concerned with this, then go buy your own tanks! How much does it cost to rent a tank each time? Here, it's about $9. How far away is the shop? How much does gas cost you, and how much does your car depreciate every year, and what are your maintennance costs per mile? I think you'll find that if you rent tanks more than 10-12 times a year, you could have purchased a new tank for the money. Then it's yours, you always can have gas on hand so you don't need to run by a shop first, and it's brand spanking new! (maybe a year out from original hydro, anything more, ask for a discount!) You can also buy steel, and no steel tank has ever suffered from anything like SLC.

I also appreciate the lesson in economics, but I'm not ready to buy tanks just yet. Let's see tank rental is $6.50 per tank. A fill is 4.50. So It's costing me $2.00 per tank per day to use it. Now even with aluminum 80's which go for what $159.00 + tax, so that's $170.00 per tank. At $2.00 per tank rental (because I would be paying for the air anyway) that would be 85 rentals before the tank pays for itself. The shop is on my way home from work so it costs me no gas and about 5 minutes to pop in and pick up the tank (which I would have to do anyway to fill my tank) so that's a miniscule cost, and a wash anyway.
So if I dive every other weekend, which is what my schedule will allow, I'm spending $4.00 a weekend to use their tank. After a year, or 26 weekends of dives i'm in $104.00 for a calender year of diving, and I'm still $64.00 dollars short of paying for 1 aluminum tank, and what $200.00 away from paying for a steel tank. Not to mention the money I've already dropped this year on training and gear, so if it's all the same to you I'll hold off on the tanks for now, and just expect the place to rent me something that I can get filled when I dive...:smiley2:

ScaredSilly
09-04-2007, 15:41
Most people buy their own cylinders not just for the economy. For instance, before I bought mine I rented a cylinder that after my dive I found water in it. The person before me drain it and the shop did not bother checking it before filling. The cylinder was trashed.

However, a cylinder is typcally the last thing people buy exactly for the reasons you note.

ReefHound
09-04-2007, 15:50
I'm in the camp that it's ultimately cheaper AND more convenient to own your tanks but there is another thread for that where this issue would be better discussed.

BusDiver
09-06-2007, 19:40
Creggur,

I am confused. Did a shop refuse to fill your rented tanks or did some one somewhere on line tell you that a shop may in the near future refuse to fill the tanks? My LDS rents the exact tank you are talking about. They have a lot of them and it would be a waste to pull them out of use because of the amount of classes that are taught. I have brought these tanks all over the place and no one has batted an eye on fills because the fill station staff was equipped with a little knowledge. Now, as I prepare to head to Tobermory next weekend I will only bring tanks made post 1990. They will fill tanks from '88 but the one shop I use has made it clear on their web site and through conversations with my LDS and other divers they are not fond of filling these tanks. Why, because they are Canadian. Okay just kidding. No return flames, I love my Canadian brothers and sisters to the south. The shop does it because it is really easy to say no, we don't want the headache. Tanks made pre-1988 are not allowed to be filled in that country (according to the shop, no long thread info to back that one up).

Why own your own tank? It is not about dollars, cents and nickels. It is about waking up on a Sunday morning at 6 am, poking the wife (with your hand, to wake her up, gutter, folks, gutter) and saying let's go for an early morning dive. Grabbing your filled nitrox steel 100's and going for a long dive on the reef (or in my situation the St. Clair river dodging freighters, but I digress).

So I still am confused by the post. My 2 psi of nothingness.

creggur
09-07-2007, 12:20
No one refused to fill the tanks first off. However I've read numerous threads here and on SB that a lot of stations won't fill pre-90 Luxfer al tanks..I often rent the tanks and drive a couple of hours to dive the springs around Gainesville, Fl.
I may be operating under false pretences that someone might refuse to fill the tank, just going off what I've read about shops around Florida and their policies on this.
I plan on buying my own tanks, however I want to put my diving $$ toward getting some diving in, and working on getting my Nitrox and AOW done right now. Since it's relatively inexpensive, and convenient to rent the tanks, that will be down the line. Like I said we've laid out a pretty penny for training, and equipment in the last couple of months and tanks were toward the end of the list of "things to buy".

BusDiver
09-08-2007, 20:12
So let us all us this time and educate the masses with the fact that pre-90 tanks are fine. Pre-88 tanks not so good. If your tank say 9/88 it is okay and we should be happy. If it says 9/87, not so good.

Finally, everyone should own there own tanks so they can have naked dive sessions on Sunday morning.

cummings66
09-09-2007, 08:14
Some of what's been said about shops not filling tanks is right. I don't care what the law says, the shop can say they won't fill your brand new Red tank because they don't like the color red and there's not a thing you can do about it. It's a business, they can choose to not serve you and you're stuck.

I've had shops refuse to put air in my tank because it's got a Nitrox band on it, the O2 clean sticker was removed until it gets cleaned again and no amount of explaining would convince them it wasn't dangerous and that with the O2 clean sticker gone I couldn't get PP fills until it was cleaned. I even showed them it had air in it and not Nitrox, no go.

Folks, a shop can fill or not fill any tank out there at their whim. Don't quote the law to me saying they must fill it because that's not real life, in reality they do what they want and that's because they own the equipment and have the right to not use it if they choose to. I know of one shop that won't fill tanks from members of another because the other shop owner is always bad mouthing the other shops around.

creggur
09-09-2007, 10:01
Folks, a shop can fill or not fill any tank out there at their whim. Don't quote the law to me saying they must fill it because that's not real life, in reality they do what they want and that's because they own the equipment and have the right to not use it if they choose to. I know of one shop that won't fill tanks from members of another because the other shop owner is always bad mouthing the other shops around.

I think this is really sums up what I was trying to say. Obviously the shop I rent the tank from doesn't have a problem filling them. However, had I rented the tank and needed a fill from somewhere else I could have been stuck. If a station refuses to fill a tank for whatever reason there really isn't anything you can do about it...You can't force a business to serve you...

Fortunately the shop I rent from was understanding about my concerns, and while they might not agree with someone elses policy not to fill the tanks, they understood. Simple solution was when I rent tanks I get to pick out the ones I rent, so there shouldn't be a future problem..

datamunk
10-05-2007, 20:37
Um, I am not 100% positive, but, I believe the "bad aluminum tanks" by luxfer are of 6/88 and earlier? after that the alloy has been fine. its that or 6/89... not sure...

i cant find it online but my DS i worked at had a printout from luxfer stating this information..

granted the tank is old but, if hydrod and VIPd it should be fine if its after that date...

ScaredSilly
10-05-2007, 20:43
datamunk see post 38 of this thread

http://forum.scubatoys.com/showpost.php?p=44275&postcount=38

datamunk
10-05-2007, 21:04
very interesting! thank you for that post!