PDA

View Full Version : Airfare to Palau

thecheeseman
12-23-2009, 03:20
has anyone ever traveled to Palau before; and if so, what was the airfare like? I'm curious as to any time of year it was, I've gotten widely different estimates from my travel agent and the airlines. What did you guys fly and how much was it? Thanks in advance!

Travelnsj
12-23-2009, 10:08
The best way to go is Continental...LA to Guam to Korror. Just go on Continental's web site and price it weekly.

Zeagle Eagle
12-23-2009, 15:48
The best way to go is Continental...LA to Guam to Korror. Just go on Continental's web site and price it weekly.
Continental does not go from LA to Guam. The only way to get to Palau is through Tokyo or Honolulu to Guam and then on to Palau.
It would be helpful if the traveler told us what part of the world he lived in?

thecheeseman
12-23-2009, 15:50

Thank's for that... That was really helpful. Looks like $1,250 from LAX to Guam, and another $920 from Guam to Koror. So ~ $2,500 for June. *sigh*....maybe next year...

thecheeseman
12-23-2009, 15:51
Continental does not go from LA to Guam. The only way to get to Palau is through Tokyo or Honolulu to Guam and then on to Palau.
It would be helpful if the traveler told us what part of the world he lived in?

Haha, might actually be a good idea...sorry about that, I'm located right near SF...SO I might be able to fly SFO to Honolulu, the Guam, then Koror..

Thank you for bringing up my stupid ommision haha

Travelnsj
12-23-2009, 18:58

Thank's for that... That was really helpful. Looks like $1,250 from LAX to Guam, and another $920 from Guam to Koror. So ~ $2,500 for June. *sigh*....maybe next year...

That looks like a good fare from LAX to Guam...but the Guam to Korror fare looks a bit high...I would check in on the Continental site a couple times a week to see if they have a better deal....unfortunately Continental Micronesia is pretty much the only airlines into Korror unless you come in thru the Philippines perhaps things have changed in the last year but I have not heard of another Airlines starting a route from Guam to Korror.

kat
12-23-2009, 19:06
Cheap Flights, Airline Tickets, Hotels, Travel Deals - Search Data from 100's of Travel Sites at KAYAK (http://www.kayak.com) great for pricing airfare across multiple sites at once

thecheeseman
12-23-2009, 20:14

That looks like a good fare from LAX to Guam...but the Guam to Korror fare looks a bit high...I would check in on the Continental site a couple times a week to see if they have a better deal....unfortunately Continental Micronesia is pretty much the only airlines into Korror unless you come in thru the Philippines perhaps things have changed in the last year but I have not heard of another Airlines starting a route from Guam to Korror.

Yeah, i was looking into it some more and Guam-Koror is for sure the easiest, especially from the western US....That overall airfare is actually not that terrible from what I've been hearing, especially for visiting such an amazing place...thanks for all your feedback again!

And Yes, kayak.com is ususally great, thanks!

rmkrause
12-23-2009, 20:40
Here's a site that let's you check pricing with flexibility up to a one-month search window so you can find the cheapest day, I use this site a lot:

Matrix 2 - ITA Software (http://matrix2.itasoftware.com/)

From LAX on Continental going out June 1st for a week, cheapest I find is $1268 but the number of layovers are horrendous (in total appears to be 7, many of them really tight). More reasonably itineraries by my standards start at $1400.

From SFO pricing is similar, again cheapest currently looks to be on the first.

thecheeseman
12-29-2009, 14:24
Thanks for that link, rmkrause. I wish i could leave for there right now... :(

Zeagle Eagle
12-30-2009, 13:07
I just priced on Continental.com:
Houston to ROR (Palau) one way $1825
LAX to ROR one way $1491
SFO to ROR $1491

Travelnsj
12-30-2009, 13:45
That is a great price from LAX.

thecheeseman
12-30-2009, 15:43
@ Zeagle and travelnsj, that is the best price i've seen yet by far...just wish i could purchase it right now! Next summer is my goal...but dang that's a good deal....Thanks for letting me know!

Zeagle Eagle
12-30-2009, 20:54
Usually if you go directly to the airlines web site you can get the best price. If you have to leave the next day you are pretty much screwed; but, if you can give a couple weeks or months notice you can get some great prices. I have found the airline sites beat expedia, yahoo, priceline, etc. all the time. I also call ahead to the dive operator wherever I am going and try to work a deal too. A $50 phone call may say you several hundred dollars.

Travelnsj
12-31-2009, 00:05
@ Zeagle and travelnsj, that is the best price i've seen yet by far...just wish i could purchase it right now! Next summer is my goal...but dang that's a good deal....Thanks for letting me know!

Be careful of the summer in Palau after June 15 the weather could be dicey....mid Feb thru mid June is the best time....I usually go late Feb and and pretty much anytime in March.

Zeagle Eagle
12-31-2009, 13:14
As Travelnsj said keep your eye on the weather forecast especially the hurricanes. It is common in that part of the world for 10-12 hurricanes (typhoons) a year to go through. They usually form several hundred miles south west of Hawaii and then track all the way to China. Typhoons in Palau are rare; but, it does border the typhoon belt. Tropical storms usually wreck havoc with the power and roads.

Possession of any amount of illegal 'hard drugs' (such as heroin and cocaine) carries a mandatory sentence of 25 years imprisonment.

Drinking in public is against the law.

It is illegal to disturb or take historical items (including dive wrecks).

The crime rate is almost nill and usually involves petty theft.

The Koror hospital does have a hyperbaric chamber.

Buy a storyboard at the jail.

If you dive near the mangroves watch out for the ocean going crocs.

Palau is a matriarchal society (like ours isn't..lol)

Try the giant clam sushi. It's awesome.

Don't ever wear a speedo unless you work for a fudge packing company. That has nothing to do with Palau; but, I just hate those things.

rmkrause
12-31-2009, 18:52
LAX to ROR one way $1491
SFO to ROR $1491

I'm confused - pricing out on continental.com those are around the rates I get for round-trip, not one-way.

scubastud
01-02-2010, 13:04
Hey Travelnsg... I have enough frequent flyer miles for the Palau trip in March.. I am thinking of a long weekend I should probably be able to get away. Is the trip still on? What do you think would be the best dates in March to go?
Best place to stay that may have single rates?
I know Sam's club is the dive place, a guy I work with used to work there.
Looking forward to it, just got back from a week in Majuro-brought my gear but worked butt off (even New Years Day) didn't have time for even one dive.
Looking forward to going, hearing too much about Palau to not go, especially since I am living in Guam.

Travelnsj
01-03-2010, 13:23
Hey Travelnsg... I have enough frequent flyer miles for the Palau trip in March.. I am thinking of a long weekend I should probably be able to get away. Is the trip still on? What do you think would be the best dates in March to go?
Best place to stay that may have single rates?
I know Sam's club is the dive place, a guy I work with used to work there.
Looking forward to it, just got back from a week in Majuro-brought my gear but worked butt off (even New Years Day) didn't have time for even one dive.
Looking forward to going, hearing too much about Palau to not go, especially since I am living in Guam.

The trip still on?....YES:smiley20:...The last weekend in Feb or first weekend in March would be the best. I stay at West Plaza around $85 a nite, nothing fancy but like a Motel 8 and walking distance to Sams.

Sorry you did not get a chance to dive in the Marshall's.

I'll PM you with details and Sams Tours.

scubastud
01-03-2010, 14:42
Oh if you mean Super 8 that's perfect. I really like Super 8s and stay there when I travel in states, so thats cool.. just a clean bed and shower.. maybe a place to hang wet gear and Im good!
disregard my Q in private... first weekend in March is it!

Zeagle Eagle
01-04-2010, 09:09
LAX to ROR one way $1491
SFO to ROR $1491

I'm confused - pricing out on continental.com those are around the rates I get for round-trip, not one-way.
That's awesome! Where did you get the round trip quote from? I am planning a trip to Fiji in April and could use the info.

rmkrause
01-04-2010, 10:26
That's awesome! Where did you get the round trip quote from? I am planning a trip to Fiji in April and could use the info.

That price was just off continental.com - the only thing I did special was use the Matrix 2 link I provided on page 1 to find the cheapest day to fly out of - it will calculate price for a given travel length for every day within a 1 month period to pinpoint the cheapest depature date.

Matrix 2 - ITA Software (http://matrix2.itasoftware.com/)

scubastud
01-04-2010, 11:47
Hmmm I guess the only flight from Palau to Guam is a redeye...unless I am missing something?

Travelnsj
01-04-2010, 14:28
Hmmm I guess the only flight from Palau to Guam is a redeye...unless I am missing something?

That 1:30 or 2:30 AM flight is the only one I have taken....real bummer.

Zeagle Eagle
01-05-2010, 10:33
I rechecked my continental.com prices and it was round trip, not one way...my bad