PDA

View Full Version : Enjoying Maui

Zenagirl
12-23-2009, 08:12
We're in the midst of our trip to Maui and have enjoyed 3 days of diving thus far. The two days with Ed Robinson's have shown us pretty rough conditions at Molokini, forcing us to head farther south than we've ever gone to new sites (for us). They say that they only get down to these sites maybe a dozen times a year, so we feel very lucky to get to enjoy them. We've also done one dive day with Lahaina Divers to Lanai, which was a smooth trip over and back, and the diving was pretty good.

The water is currently 74-75 degrees and my 5mm Merino lined suit is barely keeping the cold at bay. Chilled would be a good word to describe me at the end of each dive. Fortunately, the sun is out and between solar heat and my Chammyz boat coat (and the hot tub at our cond), I'm doing okay thus far.

More diving to come....

dkh6070
12-23-2009, 13:33
Sounds like you are having a great time. Have fun!

scubastud
12-23-2009, 13:43
Nice!
Shall we expect pictures?

thecheeseman
12-23-2009, 14:58
You lucky fellow...I'd love to see some pictures fro Lana'i, I've always wanted to dive there. Where are you guys staying?

Zenagirl
12-23-2009, 22:28
I'll post photos when we get home and after I've had a chance to edit them....so probably at least 3 weeks. I'll post a link to our website on Shutterfly so anyone who wants to can see them.

But the BIG news is that we saw a HUMPBACK WHALE under water while diving today!!! He went by us on one side and circled around in front of us to go back the way he came. My husband got photos (the only one on the boat) and fortunately they seem to have turned out. :)

We say both in Kaanapali and in Kihei (one week each).

Travelnsj
12-23-2009, 23:36
Glad you are having a good time....Although that water sounds a bit Chilly!...LOL

thecheeseman
12-24-2009, 12:06
I'll post photos when we get home and after I've had a chance to edit them....so probably at least 3 weeks. I'll post a link to our website on Shutterfly so anyone who wants to can see them.

But the BIG news is that we saw a HUMPBACK WHALE under water while diving today!!! He went by us on one side and circled around in front of us to go back the way he came. My husband got photos (the only one on the boat) and fortunately they seem to have turned out. :)

We say both in Kaanapali and in Kihei (one week each).
Can't wait for the pics! That humpback whale sounds amazing, I'm jealous ;-)

dkh6070
12-28-2009, 07:35
We would like to see the Humpback please? Something of that nature calls for an immediate shout out from location. No home editing needed.

Zenagirl
12-29-2009, 17:22
If you go to Ed Robinson's Facebook page, you can see 1 photo I posted about 1/3 of the way down.

Ed Robinson's Diving Adventures Boxes | Facebook (http://www.facebook.com/MauiSCUBA?v=box_3#/MauiSCUBA?v=wall)

scubajane
12-29-2009, 21:35
AHHH! Hawaii!!! did you get to the cathedrals?? I love shotgun!! and stained glass!! did you see the albino chandelier coral?? oh how I miss Hawaii

Zenagirl
12-30-2009, 08:34
We got to the First Cathedral twice and definitely did the shotgun, but didn't make it to Second Cathedral, so missed the black coral chandelier. :( We've done Second Cathedral many times in past years, so have seen the black coral and tried to photograph it....which is impossible unless you're a pro (IMO).

We moved from Kaanapali to Kihei on Saturday (it's now Wed), so are diving with Ed Robinson's exclusively now. Not really interested in driving back up to Lahaina to catch the Lahaina Diver's boat to Lanai now, so our 2 charters to Lanai this year will have to suffice. ;)