PDA

View Full Version : Western Australia;Come for the diving, stay for the hospitalization!

PlatypusMan
12-23-2009, 22:03
:smilie40: I'll let my dive buddy, a fellow professional, tell it like he did on the WADivers forum:

"After meeting up with our visiting Texan, Platypus Man, at the Esplanade on Saturday night, I offered to take him to South Mole to search for Weedies this morning.
We picked up a bottle for him (an air cylinder--PPM) and drove onto the Mole, although there was some wind driven swell onto the rocks conditions looked good and we kitted up and began the careful climb down the rocks to the waters edge. I reached the edge first and was just sorting myself out prior to jumping in when I heard a cry behind me, turned round and saw John tumbling down the rocks towards me. Before I could decide whether to try and catch him or get out the way he selflessly decided to save us both by jamming his leg into a hole which brought him to a jarring halt http://www.wadivers.com.au/forums/images/smilies/icon_eek.gif"

The 'jarring halt' was also when I felt the ankle go. I've experienced zero pain, then and now, and if the swelling has come down by Saturday the local doctors will operate and put in various screws and other bits and pieces to help the ankle rebuild itself.

Downside is that the medicos say I'll be dry for around three months.

Upside is that it could have been much, much worse.

Further good news:

My ScubaToys gear survived without so much as a scratch.

If all goes as planned, I should be back Stateside by NYE.

PPM

CompuDude
12-23-2009, 22:30
Wow. :( Bummer! Let's hope 2010 goes much better from here on out for ya!

kat
12-23-2009, 22:36
Sorry to hear about that. Have a safe trip (no pun intended) home.

Smashee
12-23-2009, 23:16
Glad to hear you're OK.
I shall have to have a word with rubberchicken when I see him in a few weeks. :-)

Travelnsj
12-23-2009, 23:54
That is a shame....safe journey home.

PlatypusMan
12-24-2009, 00:10
Glad to hear you're OK.
I shall have to have a word with rubberchicken when I see him in a few weeks. :-)

Don't be hard on him, mate..prior to starting the climb down, we had carefully looked over the rocks and determined the best path down to the water's edge. I even pointed out to him the route I was going to use.

I have experience in climbing down limestone to get to the water, so this is exactly what it is--an accident that simply happened.

PPM

Smashee
12-24-2009, 00:24
I have experience in climbing down limestone to get to the water, so this is exactly what it is--an accident that simply happened.

Don't worry, I'll go easy on him. Still, if you want to pay a little back, just ask him about his horse-riding exploits in Mongolia. :smiley36:

jugglematt
12-24-2009, 02:55
Shore diving can be such a hazard

ive had a badly sprained ankle and been stranded in the surf zone on my back .

another time years ago , bashed my knee on entry and scratched my bum on barnacles on the way out .
hope you heal up ok , may be time to buy a boat
Matty

Bill
12-28-2009, 19:40
John,

Hopefully the fall happened toward the end of your dive trip, not at the start.

Your story reminds me of a "quickie" ski trip to Colorado last March. 2 and a half days of skiing turned into an 11 day trip to the mountains. My out of pocket medical bills are over $14,000 at this point.....

No Misses
12-29-2009, 13:35
So...How was the dive?

PlatypusMan
12-29-2009, 16:29
So...How was the dive?

:smiley11: Never bounced all the way to the water.

Operation Anklefix was accomplished last Monday; will fly back next week.

PPM

neugierig
12-29-2009, 17:45
sorry to hear about that. did insurance cover your hospital expenses?

PlatypusMan
12-29-2009, 20:05
sorry to hear about that. did insurance cover your hospital expenses?

I honestly don't know; I do have DAN Preferred as well as insurance through my day job, so I'm not overly concerned.

I'll be watching the mails for any bills, though.

PPM

oddbod
12-30-2009, 05:30

PPM

The public of Oz thank you for your contibution to our health care system :smilie39: and many condolences for missing the wonderful diving over here :smiley19: Hope you will come back someday :smiley31: and try a nice safe dive entry http://liljeqvist.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/09/liljeqvist.com-2009-09-20-15-47-18.jpg

PlatypusMan
12-30-2009, 06:04

PPM

The public of Oz thank you for your contibution to our health care system :smilie39: and many condolences for missing the wonderful diving over here :smiley19: Hope you will come back someday :smiley31: and try a nice safe dive entry http://liljeqvist.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/09/liljeqvist.com-2009-09-20-15-47-18.jpg

:smilie39: Thanks, mate!

Will begin planning my return after the screws are out.

What site is that?

PPM

oddbod
12-31-2009, 06:36
Shelley Beach in Sydney, so safe it is almost wheelchair accessible:smiley36: ,but actually a lovely dive. Don't set of too many metal detectors and have a good trip home.

Divingguy
12-31-2009, 09:12
Platy:
Jeez!!!!! We can't take you ANYWHERE!!!!!
I am SO sorry to hear about your accident. I had not heard anything about it until I saw this thread last night.
I wish you a quick recovery, and safe trip home.
Let me know your eta and I'll keep ST advised.
Tom