PDA

View Full Version : Request Wetsuit Advice

Mollyb
12-25-2009, 14:18
I dived last year with a Henderson 5mm hyperstretch suit. I loved it. I get cold easily. Am now investing in my own wetsuit. My husband bought me the new Insta-Dry suit by Henderson, but have been reading mixed reviews. Plus, is the hyperstretch really worth the extra money over the thermoprene? Having been reading that the construction on the Insta-Dry has problems and very difficult to don. Any comments/suggestions are much appreciated.

SEMO Scuba
12-25-2009, 19:17
Welcome to the forum.

The Insta-Dry will dry very quickly after a dive. I would try it on and of it fits I would keep it. I have heard that the Insta-Dry is warmer than the Hyperstretch, but I don't know that first hand. If the Insta-Dry didn't fit I would get a different size. I have a 5mm & 7mm Hyperstretch and I do like them. They fit well and are comfortable. The neoprene picks easily and the threads at the ankle seals have come loose on the 5mm. I currently have about 80 dives on the 5mm and 20 on the 7mm.

maverick
12-25-2009, 20:14
There is a new line of wet suit called Waterproof's W1. It's a Sweaden based company comes with HexTex core Insulation protection. Also has front entry w/ front zipper. (800) 482-2282 to get more information.

Vercingetorix
12-25-2009, 22:02
I have a Thermoprene 3mm that I use in our 70-degree quarry. Very comfortable. Good price

scubadiver888
12-25-2009, 23:08
My instructor is a very curvy woman. I asked her about the Insta-dry and she did not like it. Said it was like wearing an innertube. She recommended I get a Thermoprene. It is the suit she wears.

On a different note, Waterproof W1 (http://www.waterproof.se/pages/w1_1.html). I've met people who had the 25th anniversary Waterproof wetsuit and they were VERY happy with it. The W1 seems like a major step above. I'm going to pop out to a store I know carries Waterproof to see if they are getting one in (or at least a Canadian price on it).

Mollyb
12-26-2009, 19:43
Welcome to the forum.

The Insta-Dry will dry very quickly after a dive. I would try it on and of it fits I would keep it. I have heard that the Insta-Dry is warmer than the Hyperstretch, but I don't know that first hand. If the Insta-Dry didn't fit I would get a different size. I have a 5mm & 7mm Hyperstretch and I do like them. They fit well and are comfortable. The neoprene picks easily and the threads at the ankle seals have come loose on the 5mm. I currently have about 80 dives on the 5mm and 20 on the 7mm.

no, it is too small. trying to find out if they have the next size up. Reviews show construction issues, but heard it should be warmer. thanks for your imput

Soonerwink
12-26-2009, 20:27
I have a Thermoprene and the new Henderson H2, which is the second generation of the hyperstretch. The H2 is very easy to don, I have the 7mm. It also seems that they have an exterior that wears longer and doesn't pile. I wear the Thermoprene mostly in the Aquarium. It is the 2007 model that ST had on clearance. It seems to me that it is wearing out pretty quick.