PDA

View Full Version : Shaving

scuba Widow
09-02-2007, 14:01
Do any of you ladies use the wet and dry electric razors? If so, how long do you usually get between shaves?

I am using one and it seems that I am not getting very long at all, so I was wondering if the blades are getting dull.

Liv7301
09-02-2007, 15:58
I used to use a wet/dry but ended up switching back to a regular disposable razor. I was never satisfied with how unclose the shave was and the battery life. As the battery drained the motor slowed and the shave was even worse.

This however was several years ago. By now I am sure the products are much better.

Zenagirl
09-03-2007, 07:55
Have you considered laser hair removal? I did it on my legs, underarms, and bikini line and I couldn't be happier. It doesn't remove 100% of hair, but I got a 98% removal result of all my dark hair, so I only get a stray hair now and again, which are easy to pluck or shave off once in awhile.

scuba Widow
09-03-2007, 08:01
Thanks!! I have not but I will give it some thought.

savannahbell
09-03-2007, 10:03
Have you considered laser hair removal? I did it on my legs, underarms, and bikini line and I couldn't be happier. It doesn't remove 100% of hair, but I got a 98% removal result of all my dark hair, so I only get a stray hair now and again, which are easy to pluck or shave off once in awhile.

Zeneagirl, how many time did you have to go back and have it done. I have been thinking about the whole laser hair removal but have always wanted to know how long it will take to have a great result. I have heard from some other people that it can take a few times. Just wondering? Thanks.

Osprey
09-03-2007, 11:34
I heard that too, I also heard they charge by like.. the square inch or something! Please enlighten us!

As for shaving, I use venus razors and they seem to keep me better off than any other I have tried. I just hate the cost :/

Zenagirl
09-03-2007, 14:24
Okay, so be warned that laser hair removal isn't cheap, but honestly, it's the best money I've spent on myself ever. The place I go does 5 sessions 6 weeks apart. They have to do multiple sessions because the hair grows is phases and you want to kill as many hairs as possible. I also got a 1 year guarantee with mine where I could go back as many times as I needed to in that year to get all the hairs.

I had amazing results from mine with only about 6 underarms hairs not being killed on each side, and they are medium brown, not the thick dark ones. On my legs I probably have 10-15 hairs not killed on each leg, again medium brown. My bikini line has stayed completely bare of hair (yay!!) with none returning. :D

Laser hair removal only really works with brown or black hair, so my legs are still covered with thin blonde hair, which you can't see unless you're looking. I always shave before I go on vacation, but otherwise I shave my underarms like once a month and my legs every couple of months. Worth every penny IMO. :D

I think prices vary by region, but I paid about $300 for my underarms and $600 for my lower legs (only have blonde hair on my thighs). I think my bikini line was about $250....but I only did the basic bikini....the Brazilian is usually quite a bit more.

divechaplain-sara
09-03-2007, 14:29
I've used the electric razor, but found it hard to find the replacement foil and blades that you are supposed to get. I've gone to using the Intuition razor. I really like it, seem to get a good shave with nowhere near the nicks from other razors.

scuba Widow
09-03-2007, 15:03
I am thinking about trying the Veet system. Has anybody heard anything about it.

Subaqua
09-03-2007, 15:13
I use wax or disposable razor. Never been satisfied with electric razor. I tried recently the depilatory strips (Veet) and it work out pretty good.

quarkuud
09-03-2007, 16:01
I use a Mach 3 and it works pretty well, but if I don't use shave gel it tears up my legs. This laser thing is interesting to me, though unfortunately I have dark hairs on my thighs also. Was it painful?

Osprey
09-03-2007, 16:07
laser is cheaper than I had thought! I won't say it's "affordable" for me, but I had expected a higher price. Interesting!

scuba Widow
09-03-2007, 18:34
Laser is way too expensive for me, especially if I still have to shave.

savannahbell
09-03-2007, 20:16
The prices on the laser sounds better than I was thinking. I might just have to start out and see where that goes. Thanks for the info.

Foo2
09-04-2007, 08:40
Heck...I can live with shaving my legs and arm pits if I knew I didn't have to mess with my bikini line again! That sounds absolutely heavenly!

dallasdivergirl
09-04-2007, 09:34
Thanks for sharing on the laser removal.

I hope to do that next year.

Are you fairly light during the summer or just during winter? I am trying to figure out the best time of year to do it.

you said something about a one year garantee, what after that? I am curious on the time frame. Not something I want to be shelling out for every few years.

Charlotte Smith
09-04-2007, 10:25
I am thinking about trying the Veet system. Has anybody heard anything about it.

Tried it...didn't work for me...

Zenagirl
09-04-2007, 10:57
I started with my bikini line, added the underarms later, and finally did the legs. I didn't think it was painful, a little uncomfortable at times, but not painful per se....though there are people who say it's very painful. It's sort of like recommending what thickness wetsuit to wear...everyone is different in their tolerance.

For me doing the legs was a 100% luxury since I never minded shaving my legs much. But doing the underarms and bikini line were heaven sent since I always had problems with rashes, red bumps, in-grown hairs, and serious irritation from salt water while diving after shaving.

Being able to pluck, wax, or shave off the few hairs from my underarms the day before I leave for vacation and not having to do it again while on vacation is wonderful. Since the remaining brown hairs aren't thick they don't get in-grown, and besides not being very visible while they're growing, the occasional shaving doesn't cause irritation.

Like everything else, laser isn't for everyone, but I wanted to share my feelings and experiences in case anyone was considering it. :D

Chocoholic
10-12-2007, 18:40
The price sounds way better than what I have heard. I would have to fly somewhere to have it done, it would be really cool to add it into a dive vacation. How long before you could be out in the sun? Did it feel like a sunburn?
Edit: just reread your post, I guess I would have to go on vacation every 6 weeks, I could handle that!

lovesmexico615
10-12-2007, 23:37
I too have gone the laser route... Just finished my Bikini and underarm treatments... 6 sessions 10 weeks apart. I have a 2 year guarantee should anything come back. I've just started my legs as well, and am ecstatic about the results. Since I've started I shave my underarms once a week, and now... should be just about never!! My bikini line is free and clear too :-) It will be so nice to travel without the hastle of shaving!

WAHMof2
10-13-2007, 10:46
1) Never liked the electric razors either, never got close enough and when they started to dull, it was more like pulling the hair out instead of trimming it off.
2) The VEET system didn't work either - never got descent results from VEET, NAIR, or waxing
3) As for laser, I think I need to check around more....I had just asked my doctor a couple months ago about getting the bikini done and she told me about $600 just for that!! OUCH ~ which I was going to save up and do it anyway, but I really appreciate you sharing your prices because I think I'll call around to more a the "specialty" clinics for prices, rather then my local family doctor!!

I love that there is this women's forum here! It's sooooo great to be able to read and share with other ladies without being "yucked" by the guys:smiley20:

Queen
10-13-2007, 10:54
I use the Venus and it works great, like others here I have zero luck with electri razors...they seem to shave me juuuust down to "prickly stubble". :D

caroln
10-13-2007, 19:49
I'm glad to hear the laser works so well. I'm thinking of investing in this for myself, and given your results I'm even more tempted. I don't find the electric razors work well at all for me, and they aren't exactly gentle on sensitive skin. Going on vacation and not having to shave at all sounds heavenly.

ScubaGir1
10-13-2007, 20:31
I tried VEET and Nair and they didn't do a darn thing!

I do like waxing though! :) But obviously you have to wait until the hair gets long enough...so you go a few weeks looking like a hairy beast LOL :smiley36:

Sadly, I didn't continue the underarm laser treatment, and all the hair grew back in. I do want to do it again. Esp. my legs, underarms and bikini area. I hate shaving :smilie39: