PDA

View Full Version : Hey Everyone

Barsad0
12-29-2009, 15:29
I've been stalking the forums for a while so I figured I would join, there always seems to be nice and helpful people quick to answer whenever someone has a question. :smiley20:

A brief description about myself, I have always been interested in trying scuba diving and I have finally reached a point where I am able to do it financially. I am going to start classes pretty soon (still undecided on where). So I thought I would get to meet everyone and get to learn a bit before I get started.

I've searched the forums but I still haven't found a guide to starting scuba diving (correct me if I'm wrong). So perhaps someone would want to compile a guide for myself and other people wanting to start diving? (just a thought)

Also I have one quick question. Where do you recommend getting certified? I've done a bit of research of places around Dallas and they all seem to cost about the same, the only difference is ST is NAUI cert and Adventure Scuba, Diving Training Center, etc is PADI. Any suggestions or experiences either with any places in the north metroplex?

I'm sure there will be many more questions to follow :icon_smile_shy:

Thanks in advance

inventor
12-29-2009, 15:34
I say drive to ScubaToys! Go to the local dive shops, ask questions and check out the literature. I pretty much read the OW book sitting in SportChalet before buying the class.

Good luck!:smiley20: And Welcome, to diving and the forum!

scubadiver888
12-29-2009, 16:04
Barsad0,

Go to Scuba Toys for your scuba needs. They teach NAUI. PADI is the largest and most recognized agency *BUT* it is really all about the instructor. The guys at Scuba Toys seem to really understand what SERVICE is all about.

Their prices are competitive, their knowledge is excellent and NAUI, PADI, SSI shouldn't make a difference. NAUI is large enough that it will be recognized around the world.

The best way to start scuba diving is drop into a shop and start chatting with the staff. You have a great shop right near you... Scuba Toys.

The best thing is that Joe and Larry will help you and often for less than you'd pay else where for the same service.

Darrell

Barsad0
12-30-2009, 23:22
I don't usually do this but here it is...

Ok, so I went to most of the scuba places in the metroplex today just to compare. I can honestly say that scubatoys was the best by far. As soon as I walked in someone introduced himself and was crazy knowledgabe. I eneded up hanging out talking for about 30 minutes after he gave me a tour of the place. What really impressed me was when we were discussing what equipment I should get; I told him what I was planning on buying and he told me to buy a different and cheaper product because it would be better suited to what I was going to need. I'm all for saving money :-)

I've decided to do all my scuba business with ST.

So to any new divers, save yourself the trouble and just go to scubatoys. They are a good group of guys.

thecheeseman
12-31-2009, 13:05
I'm jealous you get to visit their actual brick store, all I get is the online version! haha. From what i've heard though, and from my own experience with scubatoys, you will have a blast and I think you will learn a lot more through ST than anywhere else. :)

Welcome to the forum, and keep us updated on how certification goes!

whichwayis_up
01-01-2010, 11:04
I've decided to do all my scuba business with ST.

Good Choice!