PDA

View Full Version : god this will sound stupied

bigman241
12-29-2009, 21:40
What do you guys mean stage bottles and deco bottles? I am assuming deco mean decompression which would make me think a back bottle to have when you make a long stay at a decompression depth coming back up from a long or deep dive or bot i guess it could be?

Vercingetorix
12-29-2009, 21:53
Stage and deco bottles are use in deep, technical diving situations. These may also include tri-mix gas (oxygen-nitrogen-helium)

Ask this same question in the Technical Diving section and they'll give you some good info.

gNats
12-29-2009, 21:53
What do you guys mean stage bottles and deco bottles? I am assuming deco mean decompression which would make me think a back bottle to have when you make a long stay at a decompression depth coming back up from a long or deep dive or bot i guess it could be?

Let's see how much I remember from my Tec Apprentice course.

A deco bottle is never carried on your back as back gas. It is used for decompression and is in addition to the gas you are breathing off of during the dive. It usually has a higher percentage of oxygen to aid in decompression by reducing the nitrogen in your bloodstream.

Deco bottles are slung to the sides of the diver.

So, if you are diving on air, you may carry a deco bottle containing a 40% mixture of oxygen (remember air has only 21% oxygen) so you can reduce the amount of nitrogen in your bloodstream AND in doing so, most likely reduce your overall decompression time.

A stage bottle is generally a bottle that is carried to a specific depth and left at that depth. Staged. Tec divers do this when they are carrying a lot of deco bottles and the oxygen content is different.

You should have learned in your OW course that oxygen can be toxic at depth so you must never breathe an oxygen concentration not rated for the depth you are at.

A tec diver may have 3 deco bottles of various oxygen percentages. He / she may choose to leave the highest concentration, let's say 60%, at the appropriate depth. This will lighten his/her load during the dive, and ensure that he/she NEVER accidentally breathes off this tank at a depth that can be fatal.

There are pros and cons to staging bottles. which is not part of your question so I won't go into it here. :smiley2:

Some people do use deco/stage bottle to mean the same thing, they are not necessarily wrong, but normally if someone says that they have a stage bottle, I would assume that they are going to secure it somewhere and return for it.

DivingCRNA
12-29-2009, 21:56
Dude, if I remember right you are not even OW certified. I would suggest learning to dive and mastering basic skills before worrying about deco and staged bottles. :D

inventor
12-30-2009, 00:55
Dude, if I remember right you are not even OW certified. I would suggest learning to dive and mastering basic skills before worrying about deco and staged bottles. :D

Sorry, gotta respond. I keep getting this answer a lot when I ask about certain aspects of tech diving. And I keep getting variations of 'don't worry your pretty little head'. Basically this is saying, "you don't know enough to learn more". So if you take an OW course, you can't take an AOW course. If you don't know anything about diving, you can't take an OW course. Because both of those involve learning more.

Not stirring the pot, just saying, don't ever discourage healthy curiosity. I'm a little ticked at this answer because I've heard it given so often.

All good.:smiley31:

Recon
12-30-2009, 01:12
the only dumb question is the one not asked, even though many of us have lots of dives and lots of time spent underwater, and lots of time planning etc etc etc... we ALL have new things that we can learn, no one here is the SCUBA god. I took my OW with a guy who instructs for ST now, but he is in the FREAKING NAUI book as an instructor.... to top this off.... the photo is like a MILLION years old (Sorry Mike if you are reading this ;) ) To say the least, we are all hear to share what we know and learn what we do not.. had to put my 2psi in to this, even though, I am slightly NARCed right now (my rum bottle had a hot fill, and was a little over pressure).

~Recon

inventor
12-30-2009, 01:23
the only dumb question is the one not asked

even though, I am slightly NARCed right now (my rum bottle had a hot fill, and was a little over pressure).

~Recon

I also am experiencing some Delayed Onset Narcossis, with symptoms of Bud Light. I'm decompressing the cans as fast as I can! She canna' take much more o' this captain!:smiley29:

inventor
12-30-2009, 01:27
the only dumb question is the one not asked

even though, I am slightly NARCed right now (my rum bottle had a hot fill, and was a little over pressure).

~Recon

I also am experiencing some Delayed Onset Narcossis, with symptoms of Bud Light. I'm decompressing the cans as fast as I can! She canna' take much more o' this captain!:smiley29:

Sorry, wound up hi-jacking the thread. Learn as much as you can, before you move on to the next stage. And dive experience is paramount to new learning. This from a newb with 31 dives.

Enjoy your journey.:smiley20:

bigman241
12-30-2009, 04:48
NOt worried about it jsut thought that since about every third question I ask or read about someone is talking about stage and deco bottles. It was brought up in a question I had about steel or alum tanks. SO I asked what they where.

bigman241
12-30-2009, 04:49
Thanks that explains alot. Kind of what I figured. Seems you remember alot from your course. :smiley20:

Let's see how much I remember from my Tec Apprentice course.

A deco bottle is never carried on your back as back gas. It is used for decompression and is in addition to the gas you are breathing off of during the dive. It usually has a higher percentage of oxygen to aid in decompression by reducing the nitrogen in your bloodstream.

Deco bottles are slung to the sides of the diver.

So, if you are diving on air, you may carry a deco bottle containing a 40% mixture of oxygen (remember air has only 21% oxygen) so you can reduce the amount of nitrogen in your bloodstream AND in doing so, most likely reduce your overall decompression time.

A stage bottle is generally a bottle that is carried to a specific depth and left at that depth. Staged. Tec divers do this when they are carrying a lot of deco bottles and the oxygen content is different.

You should have learned in your OW course that oxygen can be toxic at depth so you must never breathe an oxygen concentration not rated for the depth you are at.

A tec diver may have 3 deco bottles of various oxygen percentages. He / she may choose to leave the highest concentration, let's say 60%, at the appropriate depth. This will lighten his/her load during the dive, and ensure that he/she NEVER accidentally breathes off this tank at a depth that can be fatal.

There are pros and cons to staging bottles. which is not part of your question so I won't go into it here. :smiley2:

Some people do use deco/stage bottle to mean the same thing, they are not necessarily wrong, but normally if someone says that they have a stage bottle, I would assume that they are going to secure it somewhere and return for it.

scubadiver888
12-30-2009, 07:26

Sorry, gotta respond. I keep getting this answer a lot when I ask about certain aspects of tech diving. And I keep getting variations of 'don't worry your pretty little head'. Basically this is saying, "you don't know enough to learn more". So if you take an OW course, you can't take an AOW course. If you don't know anything about diving, you can't take an OW course. Because both of those involve learning more.

Not stirring the pot, just saying, don't ever discourage healthy curiosity. I'm a little ticked at this answer because I've heard it given so often.

Different strokes for different folks. For some people too much information is a bad thing. This is the PADI philosophy. We are going to give you JUST enough information so you can do Open Water diving to 60' safely. When you realize there is more, we will give you enough information so you can handle AOW situations, etc.

For many people this works. I've noticed however, most the people actively seeking out information on forums like this want too much information. So inventor has a point, give him the information. He might not be able to use it right now but it will motivate him to get to the point he can use it.

I started off as a typical PADI diver. Was Open Water for 7 years. Found the 'other' scuba board and started realizing how much I didn't know. Within 2 years I started learning gas blending, servicing my own regs, diving in sold water. Now I am learning to be a DM and the material I'm learning seems like stuff I wish I had learned from day one. I'd be in the four digit range by now if I realized how much more there was to scuba back in 2001.

Scuba Pete
12-30-2009, 07:49
Another use for a stage bottole is in cave diving when you want to get further back in a cave. They have basically the same mix as in you back gas but they extend your range. They could also be labeled as travel bottles when doing deep technical dives. Basically your bottom becomes hypoxic at the surface if you breathe it. Meaning there is not enough oxygen for your body to metabilize and keep you alive. Travel bottles will have a higher percentage of o2 so you can breathe them going down to your bottom depth. I think the name Stage bottle probably has something to do with using that bottle for a particular "stage" in your dive. Deco bottles are for decompression.

UCFKnightDiver
12-30-2009, 08:07

I think people are concerned about giving too much information on the internet because there are lots who will go dive above their level, and will go do dives that they are not trained for and may injure or even kill themselves. "Internet Trained" comes to mind. There is a difference between taking the next course and learning on the internet. Thus alot of people shy away from talking about subjects such as decompression diving, trimix diving etc.

As to stage bottles, they are to prolong a dive, they can be dropped such as in a cave, but in the ocean they are most usually kept. Also they most often but not always have the same gas mixture. A deco bottle is for decompression only, and most often has either a 50% mix (to be used at 70ft) or a 100% mix (to be used at 20ft)

dkh6070
12-30-2009, 08:53

I am glad you responded that way. It seems there are many Forum members on ALL boards that think they have the knowledge and experience to determine what other (whom they most likely never meet outside of typed words on a screen) say, ask, think and do.

There is a time for policing safety in diving and a time to keep quite. Knowing when to do which is a moving target. I will try to help someone if they ask. If there is a safety concern and they choose to ignore it like getting certified and experiaence, I say good luck. If you can afford to dive, you most likely have a job and there are many people out of work if you should happen to die or become disabled. I have great typing skill, very fluent in all common software applications, Project Management Certified, PM me for a full resume' for any opening in the southeast area.:smiley2:

ssmdive
12-30-2009, 09:52
Not a stupid question... you don't know what you don't know and the only way to know is to ask.

Simplistic explanation:
Stage Bottle: Extra bottle used to extend bottom time. Normally filled with the same type of gas you have on your back (Back gas).

Deco Bottle: Extra bottle used only for deco. Normally filled with a higher level of O2 than would be safe at depth.

More details:

Both bottles are normally rigged the same, the major differences are normally size (I use an AL 40 for Deco and an AL 80 for stages) and what they are filled with (Stages are filled normally with your back gas, my Deco bottles are filled with 50% and 100% O2).

So lets say I am going to do a cave dive and I want to really see how far back I can get. The rules state I am only allowed to penetrate into the cave till I use 1/3rd of my gas (1/3 penetration, 1/3 to get out, and 1/3 for an emergency). So to go farther back, I clip on an extra bottle. I breathe the Stage till I use 1/3 (we call it "hit thirds") and then I switch to my back gas till I hit thirds. I then turn around and when I get back to my stage pick it up and breathe it.

Stages allow you to extend your bottom time.

Now, all this bottom time means I have built up a deco commitment. Air is about 20% O2 and 80% Nitrogen. As you should know, Nitrogen is the gas we worry about for the bends. So to off gas Nitrogen faster, I breathe higher levels of O2 (which means lower levels of Nitrogen). So, I have a deco bottle that has a higher level of O2

What you may not know is O2 will kill you if you breathe the wrong mix at the wrong depth.... So this is nothing to play with, get training.

in_cavediver
12-30-2009, 10:50
SSMDIVE hit the nail on the head - great post.

I just wanted to add one bit. In cave diving, 5 rules were formulated from accident analysis. Each one based on the number of accidents and people who died violating it.

The number one rule - doing something you are not trained to do. Either by not having the training or exceeding your current training.

Don't become a statistic, seek quality training prior to venturing far outside your training. This stuff is not rocket science but the problem is, if you screw up, you very well might end up dead. I know PADI and many of the rec agencies never use the word die, but once you go beyond rec diving, its used far more frequently. Use the wrong gas at depth - you can die. Mismanage your air in a cave/wreck/deep and you can die, get lost in a cave/wreck and you can die. Really screw up your deco and you can die. Lots of ways to screw up and many procedures to learn to prevent it.

Again - if anyone really wants to do tec diving - please get the training. Its hard and expensive but a lot of fun and will teach you how to manage the risks.

DivingCRNA
12-30-2009, 12:02
My response to Bigman was geared specifically toward Bigman. He is famous on this board for not being certified and asking advanced/tech diving questions by the dozen.

He has even expressed whether or not he can or will get certified due to financial and health issues.

I am not opposed to people asking questions beyond their training. I am just wary of this individual asking what he is asking. AGAIN.

dkh6070
12-30-2009, 12:10
The number one rule - doing something you are not trained to do. Either by not having the training or exceeding your current training.

Don't become a statistic, seek quality training prior to venturing far outside your training. This stuff is not rocket science but the problem is, if you screw up, you very well might end up dead.

Well Put:smiley20:

bigman241
12-30-2009, 12:48
There are no finacial issues. I will be getting my cert the first week of march it is already setup. I never asked what stage and deco bottles are. I understand this is a advance type of diving that will take me years to get to. Though it is kind of hard to discuss what kind of a tank I need or want when someone starts talking about deco/stage bottles. How am I to make a correct choice. Of course it would be unwise to for to buy a aluminum tank now that would be converted to a stage or deco bottle down the road if that is not a direction I would be going in. I just asked so I could understand a few peoples tank recommends when they brought up deco/stage bottles.
My response to Bigman was geared specifically toward Bigman. He is famous on this board for not being certified and asking advanced/tech diving questions by the dozen.

He has even expressed whether or not he can or will get certified due to financial and health issues.

I am not opposed to people asking questions beyond their training. I am just wary of this individual asking what he is asking. AGAIN.

Recon
12-30-2009, 12:50
My whole take on it is, at the least we can provide the information on the subject so that the person in question, will have a bit of information from people with experience, and not some quack job internet webpage that really has questionable information at best. Do I think that a person who is not certified should be doing ANY type of diving.... not unless they are in the certification process, or with a instructor doing a discover scuba class. In normal sport/rec diving, which is what 90% of divers are, there is still a chance of having something VERY bad happening while underwater, and if that person who is not certified freaks out, then you have a statistic and normally statistics are not good to be one of.... just my 2psi...

~Recon

DivingCRNA
12-30-2009, 16:39
Then get an aluminum 80 and dive it.

The other info would have been helpful upfront.

Don't forget to buy the fancy snorkel too!

There are no finacial issues. I will be getting my cert the first week of march it is already setup. I never asked what stage and deco bottles are. I understand this is a advance type of diving that will take me years to get to. Though it is kind of hard to discuss what kind of a tank I need or want when someone starts talking about deco/stage bottles. How am I to make a correct choice. Of course it would be unwise to for to buy a aluminum tank now that would be converted to a stage or deco bottle down the road if that is not a direction I would be going in. I just asked so I could understand a few peoples tank recommends when they brought up deco/stage bottles.

Scuba Pete
12-30-2009, 16:52
I dont know about all of you but if I want questions answered I know what people to ask. I am lucky in that in the group of divers I know there are quite a few that have the knowledge and experiance to show me the correct answer, or at least why they think it is the correct answer. I will take everything I read on the internet with a grain of salt and realize that just because it is on the net and someone is acting like the know what they are doing, they very well could be a 10 yr old with an imagination.

bigman241
12-30-2009, 16:54
Why do I need a fancy snorkel.:smiley2:I think you have me alittle wrong here. In fact I want the steel tanks just wanted to get everyone's opinion on which to get and someone started talking deco and stage bottles. TO avoid throwing the tank question onto something else I asked in another thread. Guess I should have said I was just wondering so I was not scratching my head when someone said deco or stage. I think you might have taken it as I wanted to setup a stage and or deco bottle right out of CERT class I see no reason for it nor did I before the thread. I think I have mellowed out alittle since my brain drain on everyone this past fall. Sorry for all the questions about everything. I tend to over think things and go overboard with stuff I want to or like to do. :smiley31:
What I think and maybe you can correct me in this. Is get the steel 130s I think I need and want. Then maybe get a alum 80 shortly down the road maybe next winter. The al80 would be nice for quick short dives places I might have to walk some distance to. Plus if I go tech way down the road it could become a stage or deco bottle. I know I want to cave and wreck dive. Though I have no problem waiting till I am ready and will not KILL my self. Now the solo thing I can not rap my head around. I do not want to wait and do not want to have to find a buddy every dive. BUT I know form talking with you guys and a lot of divers going solo before the ink drys on my cert card is a BAD IDEA. SO I will wait even though I do not want to. :smiley5: But better off unhappy and sitting on the beach wishing I had a dive buddy is better then sitting on the bottom for 100 years wishing I HAD WAITED FOR THAT DIVE BUDDY. Better off this :smiley13: then :smiley11::smiley11::smiley11::smiley11::smiley11: :smiley11:
Then get an aluminum 80 and dive it.

The other info would have been helpful upfront.

Don't forget to buy the fancy snorkel too!

bigman241
12-30-2009, 16:58
very true. I tend to listen to the larger group if 500 people say no do not do it but 50 say no problem I tend to not do it. When I was a kid a guy I knew offered to give me my ow cert for a computer we had for sale. I almost did it. My dad's response was you live in Indiana where are you going to dive. A friend of mine said he was licensed to dive 400 feet. Even at 15 I knew that was not true. Funny thing is thinking back is I do not think he was even old enough to get the ow cert.
I dont know about all of you but if I want questions answered I know what people to ask. I am lucky in that in the group of divers I know there are quite a few that have the knowledge and experiance to show me the correct answer, or at least why they think it is the correct answer. I will take everything I read on the internet with a grain of salt and realize that just because it is on the net and someone is acting like the know what they are doing, they very well could be a 10 yr old with an imagination.

in_cavediver
12-31-2009, 08:01

You saw right through me!!!! (oh wait - you meant physical age not mental age)

tfd86
12-31-2009, 14:15
Bud light is my deco/stage bottle I use Sam Adams Coastal for depth then after I'm Narced I switch to a lighter mix such as Bud Light it taste just as good and gets the job done.:smilie39:

inventor
12-31-2009, 14:23
Bud light is my deco/stage bottle I use Sam Adams Coastal for depth then after I'm Narced I switch to a lighter mix such as Bud Light it taste just as good and gets the job done.:smilie39:

I prefer Al 12's, as opposed to bottles. You can't get fills, but you can always just buy new ones.:smiley36:

bigman241
12-31-2009, 14:30
LOLOLOLOL. Unlike inventor I perfer the 32glass hardcore deep forget your diving troubles vodka.

Okc_diver
01-02-2010, 16:09
tequila all the way for my tank!:smiley36: