PDA

View Full Version : how do I replace the slider part of a zipper on a Mares wetsuit

divedigger
01-02-2010, 13:58
my wetsuit that I have only worn 3 times is very hard to zip and yesterday I was getting irritated with it and broke the plastic sliding part when I gave it a strong tug. The whole sliding piece is out.

inventor
01-02-2010, 14:10
my wetsuit that I have only worn 3 times is very hard to zip and yesterday I was getting irritated with it and broke the plastic sliding part when I gave it a strong tug. The whole sliding piece is out. I'd check with the manufacturer, their website, or local dive shop. How did you buy it? On-line, shop, or individual? If it's new I'd think it's a warranty issue. Good luck!:smiley20:

divedigger
01-03-2010, 07:22
Thanks for responding, I bought it new but have had it for a year so the warranty is not in force, I guess I'll see about getting some parts from somewhere, maybe the boat canvas guy can help

jeffgerritsen
02-02-2010, 12:17
my wetsuit that I have only worn 3 times is very hard to zip and yesterday I was getting irritated with it and broke the plastic sliding part when I gave it a strong tug. The whole sliding piece is out.

I had a similar problem with my dry suit vanity zipper (the zipper covering the waterproof zipper). I found both half's of the zipper slider, went to the local hardware store purchased a small bottle of Gorilla Super Glue. Next I placed both half's of the slider in the proper position to see how much room I had to work with.

Note the slider part that broke was the connecting piece of plastic between the upper and lower slider parts.

Once I determined I had enough room to re-glue the part and not glue the zipper teeth together, I put both half's of the slider on the table, got everything together for quick assembly and placement on the zipper teeth.

Don't forget a pair of needle nose pliers, you'll need them to hold the slider together as the glue sets.

I put 1.5 drops of super glue on bottom side of the slider as that part had the largest remaining part of the connecting post.

I quickly put the bottom side of the slider in position on the zipper teeth.

Next I quickly put the top part of the slider in position and used a pair of needle nose plyiers to hold the slider together under pressure for one minute.

And walla it worked. :smiley20:

You might try some zipper wax or some lubricating material to prevent the zipper from sticking again.

tc_rain
02-02-2010, 13:15
I can never get super glue to hold anything.

John Yaskowich
02-02-2010, 13:52
Check with a tailor or someone that works with canvas (tentmaker). They will probably have the larger sizes on hand. I had a zipper break on my winter jacket. A local tailor replaced the slider part in about 5 mins for ~$5

jeffgerritsen
02-02-2010, 23:45
I can never get super glue to hold anything.

This is one time when a little works good and you would think more will be better. Not so according to the instructions. With super glue, less is more (better)! :smiley2:

workhorse
02-03-2010, 04:35
the are lots of custom wetsuit makers that do alterations. you way want to send the suit out to one and have a new zipper put on your suit. use some zipper ease or bees wax works pretty good every three to four dives. this usually keeps the zipper smooth.