PDA

View Full Version : scuba camera.

bigman241
01-02-2010, 16:23
I want to get a camera for our florida trip in march. We are going to the keys to get out cert. What camera do you guys recommend. I am thinking a camera that is waterproof to depth if possible. We have two but if I can get one waterproof without buying a housing might go that way in place of a housing. Need one that will do good pics under and above water. I am not doing professional photography but want a good pic. Some zoom would be nice

jugglematt
01-02-2010, 17:06
im a bit confused

so you want a camera that is waterproof ?
or you want to buy a housing for a camera you own ?

if you let us know what cameras you currently own we may be able to say if its worth buying a housing for .

or perhaps share you $$$$ budget , and e could suggest a setup in that range.

another option is to hire a camera from your dive operator for the dives your doing , allows you to try out a camera and see if its for you
Regards
Matty

bigman241
01-02-2010, 18:55
We have two but I would pefer one of the U/W that ant in a big ugly housing. I saw this SeaLife Cameras - Underwater Digital Camera - DC1000 (http://www.sealife-cameras.com/cameras/dc1000.html)
Something about like that would work. I would say around 500 bucks. I do like the idea of renting one and seeing if it is something I really want to invest in.
im a bit confused

if you let us know what cameras you currently own we may be able to say if its worth buying a housing for .

another option is to hire a camera from your dive operator for the dives your doing , allows you to try out a camera and see if its for you
Regards
Matty

rawalker
01-02-2010, 22:41
We have two but I would pefer one of the U/W that ant in a big ugly housing. I saw this SeaLife Cameras - Underwater Digital Camera - DC1000 (http://www.sealife-cameras.com/cameras/dc1000.html)
Something about like that would work. I would say around 500 bucks. I do like the idea of renting one and seeing if it is something I really want to invest in.
im a bit confused

Regards
Matty

That Sealife is a digital camera in a housing!

bigman241
01-02-2010, 22:53
Ya I noticed that. What I thought or mean buy a housing is the big ugly clear things you see. Also feel free to recommend a digital video camera to. Is there one thagt has a housing or is waterproof with a harddrive

im a bit confused

Regards
Matty

That Sealife is a digital camera in a housing!

ScubaToys Larry
01-02-2010, 22:59
Ikelite JVC Picsio GC FM1 Housing and Camera Package reviews and discounts, Ikelite (http://www.scubatoys.com/store/detail.asp?PRODUCT_ID=JVCPicsioGCFM1VideoPackage)

Smashee
01-02-2010, 23:44
I want to get a camera for our florida trip in march. We are going to the keys to get out cert. What camera do you guys recommend.

I recommend no camera for an OW cert. You're going to have enough on your plate learning proper buoyancy skills & listening to your instructor without being distracted by yet another shiny toy.

If you must have a photographic record of your OW course, rent one, give it to your instructor and let them take the pics.

Vercingetorix
01-03-2010, 09:06
If you want to photograph your OW certification dives, I doubt the instructor will permit that. As Smashee mentions, the instructor wants you to concentrate on the skills.

On a side note, if the photography bug bites you...LOOK OUT!!! When I was brand new to diving and walking through the ST shop, I stopped at the photo section. Joe wandered over to me and said, "You don't want to be here. You'll get hooked." LOL

For my photos, I use an inexpensive Canon A620 in a housing. A basic rig with lots of controls. I don't have a strobe. Yet.

Divingguy
01-03-2010, 15:45
You REALLY need to talk to your instructor before you show up for your certification dives with a camera in hand. I would think they would want your complete focus on completing your skills, and NOT the distractions of a camera. Get comfortable with your buoyancy, gas management, and buddy skills, THEN by all means enjoy all that u/w photography has to offer. Your equipment options are limited only by budget.

thesmoothdome
01-03-2010, 17:09
Ya I noticed that. What I thought or mean buy a housing is the big ugly clear things you see. Also feel free to recommend a digital video camera to. Is there one thagt has a housing or is waterproof with a harddrive[quote=rawalker;356147][quote=bigman241;356087]We have two but I would pefer one of the U/W that ant in a big ugly housing. I saw this SeaLife Cameras - Underwater Digital Camera - DC1000 (http://www.sealife-cameras.com/cameras/dc1000.html)

If you want to bring a P&S camera that fits in your BC pocket, I don't think an instructor would mind. Since you want a few snaps of you, just ask the DM if he can take a few pics and then put the camera away. I definitely wouldn't bring one of those big ugly clear things :).

FWIW, those big, ugly clear things are designed for DSLR cameras, which means that in addition to the camera body, you need lenses and ports to fit each lens. Diving is much simplier without the headache :smiley2: Out of the water, my rig weighs about 20lbs. In the water, it's pretty close to neutrally buoyant, but it is a chore to haul around because of its size.

bigman241
01-03-2010, 21:05
Ya at the time I was looking at the cases we had a slr. We got raid of it mom hated the dam thing. Might get a cheapo throw away for the open water then get a better O/W cam later

Ya I noticed that. What I thought or mean buy a housing is the big ugly clear things you see. Also feel free to recommend a digital video camera to. Is there one thagt has a housing or is waterproof with a harddrive[quote=rawalker;356147][quote=bigman241;356087]We have two but I would pefer one of the U/W that ant in a big ugly housing. I saw this SeaLife Cameras - Underwater Digital Camera - DC1000 (http://www.sealife-cameras.com/cameras/dc1000.html)

If you want to bring a P&S camera that fits in your BC pocket, I don't think an instructor would mind. Since you want a few snaps of you, just ask the DM if he can take a few pics and then put the camera away. I definitely wouldn't bring one of those big ugly clear things :).

FWIW, those big, ugly clear things are designed for DSLR cameras, which means that in addition to the camera body, you need lenses and ports to fit each lens. Diving is much simplier without the headache :smiley2: Out of the water, my rig weighs about 20lbs. In the water, it's pretty close to neutrally buoyant, but it is a chore to haul around because of its size.

Damselfish
01-03-2010, 22:04
Don't even worry about UW cameras until after you are certified and have your basic skills nailed down. You don't want to be messing with a camera on your OW dives - and probably not for some number of dives after that - and your instructor should have more important things to be doing. Maybe if you bring (perhaps rent) something small/simple and check with the instructor about taking a few pictures of you it would be ok, but you need to talk to them about it.

If you are really interested in UW photography you'd be well served by learning more about the pros and cons and features of different types of camera setups and understand why you would want them (or not) so you can choose based on something more than looks. Certainly there are tradeoffs in cost/size/convenience/complexity and those are valid things to consider. Generally those "big ugly clear things" hold better cameras using better lenses than your typical P&S, and in the right hands have the capability to produce much better photos. Nothing wrong with either, or with starting small and learning from it. Just figure out if you are just thinking of snapshots, or are envisioning magazine quality stuff to hang on your wall (harder than you might expect, even the pros take tons of shots to get a few really good ones), or something in between.