PDA

View Full Version : MUSIC! what gets you going?

Manny-R
09-02-2007, 20:31
so... what kind of music gets you guys and gals going?

i personaly (only 21yo) enjoy:

Old rock such as
Queen
Pink Floyd (some of it)
newer stuff as well as old stuff
chilli peppers
Beatles
wyclef
wu-tang
new RAP (club music... makes people dance... makes me happy i guess)
House music too.

so, lets see what the others like.

BuzzGA
09-02-2007, 20:35
I'm a fan of the classics too but I also like the indie stuff...Enter the Haggis, The Love Me Nots, Anchor Taxi, and of course having grown up in S. Florida its just not a diving trip to the Keys without a little Jimmy Buffett

PlatypusMan
09-02-2007, 20:37
so... what kind of music gets you guys and gals going?

My tastes run the gamut from classical rock 'n roll to classical music.

The only US-based music I absolutely cannot stand is Rap and Country and Western. Regarding Rap -- well, I like my hearing the way it is; Country and Western is, to me, essentially crying in your beer music, and very formulaic.

:smiley13: "There are tears in my ears,
from lying on my back--
in my bed --
crying my eyes out over you..." :smiley29:

DivingsInMyBlood
09-02-2007, 21:10
old metallica is always a winner, queen, iron madien, motor head etc... punk, metal rawk & roll

horrorpops, nofx, bad relegion, nekromantix, creepshow, mad marge and the stone cutters and loads more music from the sub cultures.

JahJahwarrior
09-02-2007, 21:30
I really love super hard stuff....but I also like old stuff. For example, I love Underoath, but only the first two or three albums. As I Lay Dying, Norma Jean, hard stuff.

Then again, melodic, instrumental metal is the bomb! John Petrucci rules!! Then of course theres groups like Explosions in the Sky, or that solo guy no one has ever heard of, Sami Antilla.

Yet, I have a soft side. I often listen to musicals, like Wicked, and heck I know almost every word to the score of that one.....

scubafreak
09-02-2007, 21:32
I love my old rock ranging from Zep to Floyd and everything in between.
My true passion is the Blues. I love everything from Robert Johnson to Keb Mo, SRV and in fact anything Blues.

Black-Gorrilla
09-02-2007, 21:34
Led Zeplin
Red hot chilli peppers
underground Hip-Hop
oldies (beatles, doors etc...)
house music (at clubs)
postal service
DJ shadow
RJD2
and so on... and so forth... and the list could be huge!!

creggur
09-02-2007, 21:42
Wow, I feel like the old guy in this thread but here goes.
Jazz - I mean old jazz like Miles Davis, and Thelonious Monk
Blues - My tastes run a little more contemporary Stevie Ray Vaughn, and Robert Cray
Metal - Yeah Hair Metal - I grew up in the 80's what can I say?
Rap - Ice Cube, Woo Tang, Ice T, NWA, Public Enemy
Was never really into alternative music, but some of my tastes do run a little harder. Old Metallica, Iron Maiden, Anthrax,
Of course there is nothing like putting on some Jimmy Buffet and enjoying a Margarita out by the pool..

Liv7301
09-02-2007, 21:47
I tend to love more classic rock groups, and listen to a lot of 50s-80s rock. I am a massive Queen fan. I can listen to just about everything, though some genres are much more selective for me, rap in particular. Just a few isolated songs I like there. Since I am a music teacher I listen to world music as well since I try to instill appreciation for it in my students. And like music teachers I am classically trained so I also enjoy classical music formats, opera, musical theatre, etc.

scuba Widow
09-02-2007, 21:59
I love mainly country, but I like the classic rock, and the oldies. I am not wild about rap unless it is the older stuff.

sidneydiver
09-02-2007, 22:04
I listen to a lot of British indie (The Smiths, Blur, Pulp...) and as I'm Welsh I do like to listen to some good Welsh bands (Super Furry Animals, Gorky's Zygotic Mynci). I've always worked in theatre so I have been known to sing along to some Musicals (shh, don't tell anyone!).

Capt Hook
09-02-2007, 22:14
Old Metal, Blues, classical.

mm_dm
09-02-2007, 22:58
One song sticks out..." Voodoo Child" as done by Stevie Ray Vaughn, or Hendrix...crank it up. Can't get the gang going after a long nite? Crank it up...

dmdoss
09-02-2007, 23:29
Metal of just about any kind. I like the hair bands all the way to Pantera.

JahJahwarrior
09-02-2007, 23:34
One song sticks out..." Voodoo Child" as done by Stevie Ray Vaughn, or Hendrix...crank it up. Can't get the gang going after a long nite? Crank it up...

personally I prefer the SRV version but both are good. That song was the best part in Black Hawk Down....

kevinj1
09-02-2007, 23:36
Music that gets me going is; Rage Against the Machine and a band called TOOL. I can move mountains when I listen to that stuff. It is like melodic steroids.
Give it a try...

greyzen
09-02-2007, 23:42
I listen to rap, musicals, 90's rock-n-roll, 70s and 80s rock, and techno (house, ambient, etc.)

mm_dm
09-02-2007, 23:46
Yeah, but what SONG puts the steam in your stride?

greyzen
09-03-2007, 09:01
Paul Wall - Gimme That, So many diamonds feat TIP ( chopped & screwed )
Alan Parsons Project - The Raven, Lie down with dogs
Lords of Acid - LSD=Truth, You belong to me
Metallica - One
Underworld - Cowgirl
Sublime - Caress me down

Tons more :)

scubasamurai
09-03-2007, 09:17
techno music and club music gets my blood pumping. good ole beat and no words best thing in the world. considering half the music you listen to today you can understand the words, or their to busy humping something'

and the ole time favorite
iron madien hahahahhah

freediver
09-03-2007, 09:41
Just a few select favorites in no particular order:
Queen - Under Pressure
Lou Rawls - Lady Love
Buffalo Springfield - For What It's Worth
Steppenwolf - Magic Carpet Ride
Chuck Mangione - Feels So Good
Larry Graham - One In a Million
Pachelbel - Canon in D
Phil Collins - Take Me Home
Akon - Lonely
Ice T - I'm Your Pusher
many more...................

Liv7301
09-03-2007, 10:21
If I had to pick one single song for massive motivation and getting things accomplished:

Don't Stop Me Now by Queen

Had that on repeat for a bit while setting up my classroom 2 weeks ago...

Black-Gorrilla
09-03-2007, 10:56
Yeah, but what SONG puts the steam in your stride?

pink floyd- whole albums such as PULSE (good on dvd too) the wall and so on..
queen- under pressure, bohemian rhapsody, i want to be free
Non Phixion- black hellicopters, cia's trying to kill me, futurama, drug music (and a ton of others)
killarmy- dooms day
Red hot chilli peppers- all of their CD's are awesome!!
the list could go on... my itunes has over 3000 songs (all from complete CD's, and none downloaded illegally)

Kingpatzer
09-03-2007, 11:06
I play jazz guitar, so great jazz is my thing. I have a particular fondness for gypsy jazz, guys like Django Reinhardt or John Jorgenson.

Osprey
09-03-2007, 11:43
HAPPY HARDCORE, reggae, old blues, jimmy buffett.. lol

creggur
09-03-2007, 13:44
SRV doing what I consider to be his best Jimi Hendrix tribute...Voodo Chile is awesome, but this is my favorite Jimi Hendrix song, and my favorite SRV cover of one of his songs.....

My wife and I danced to the JH version of this at our wedding reception...It was the only thing about the whole wedding I got to choose..:smiley36: I still tell her she's my "Little Wing".. Not being a JH fan I don't think she gets it though..:smiley2:

http://youtube.com/watch?v=zAG-kX_IlUw&mode=related&search=

kev99
09-03-2007, 20:54
Saw some great songs and bands listed so far!

Song that gets me going; KITNO from Rage. I mean come on with a name like Rage Against the Machine, you know it rocks! Also, how about some Steppenwolf - Don't Step on the Grass Sam? Don't know why, it just "moves" me! Anybody ever listen to DMB covers of All Along the Watchtower, they rock pretty good. Nebula has some pretty rocking stuff too.

My favorite bands are in order:
#1 DMB Going to see them this month in Raleigh, my 3rd time.
#2 MMJ (My Morning Jacket) Holy crap they are awesome, I encourage everyone to check out the double live CD "OKONOKOS". Wife and I went to Asheville this past March to see them at the Orange Peel and that was one of the best live shows ever.
There are too many others to put in some type of order, but one newly acquired fave is The Magic Numbers, anyone heard of them?

Manny-R
09-03-2007, 20:56
my fav. queen song is Fat bottom girls

Bigg_Budd
09-03-2007, 21:00
Jack Johnson puts me in a laid back mood.

Buckcherry and Jett get me fired up.

Weezer is just plain cool...

dludwig
09-03-2007, 21:11
Uriah Heep's EASY LIVIN' always gets me movin':mc06:

Formerly 45yroldNewbie
09-03-2007, 21:20
First and foremost I like the Grateful Dead ( bet you didn't know that huh?). They cover classic, Jazz, Country, Blues and Rock.

I also grew up with classic rock (Zep, Floyd, Rush, Skynyrd, Molly Hatchet, Bad COmpany, Alleman Bros, REO, Thin Lizzy, etc, etc, etc) Then there is the odd and eclectic Zappa, Dixie Dregs, Spyro Gyra. I also like some swing like Sinatra, Goodman, Bassie et al. I also really like Reggae and progressive Jazz.

Songs that really get me going "Hell in a Bucket" & "U.S. Blues" by the Dead, "I Never Dreamed" and "Freebird" by Skynyrd, "Bohemian Rhapsody" by Queen

Manny-R
09-03-2007, 22:38
HAPPY HARDCORE, reggae, old blues, jimmy buffett.. lol

what is happy hardcore?

DivingsInMyBlood
09-03-2007, 22:39
happy hardcore is music that almost makes me cry in pain.

Osprey
09-03-2007, 23:03
Don't be a whiner ;)

www.happyhardcore.com has a radio you can tune into

paintsnow
09-03-2007, 23:47
anything except for country
and ill still listen to a few country songs.
i love rock and techno and some rap, mostly for the beat and bass
i looove bass

unclepooty
09-04-2007, 13:15
red dirt country, reggae, rock, anything really that gets your foot tappin'

ScottZeagle
09-04-2007, 14:10
I spent a good amount of '93/'94 following Pearl Jam around the country, and they are still one of my favorites...

Neil Young is also high on my list, as is Jay Farrar/Son Volt.

Another one of my favorite bands of all time is a band called Seven Mary Three. They had a few hits on the radio maybe 10 years ago, but the stuff they put out after that is great. Rock Crown remains one of my favorite albums of all time...plus the guys are really cool and put on one hell of a live show.

Zeppelin, Floyd, Aerosmith...I love all of that stuff, too.

Two more honorable mentions...

Jack Johnson is great for just chillin' out...and Sublime is great for riding to and from the beach...

Foo2
09-04-2007, 14:48
Flyleaf!, Blue October, Switchfoot, Fleetwood Mac, Aerosmith, Jethro Tull, Jimmy Buffet, Red Hot Chili Peppers, Madonna.....the list just goes on...

Subaqua
09-04-2007, 15:40
I'm more into latin music and Jazz

Illini_Fan
09-04-2007, 15:42
I've got the eclectic mix going. The last CD I bought was Linkin Park, but I aslo have Guns N Roses, David Gray, Tori Amos, Norah Jones and a couple of Green Day CDs in the glove compartment. The dislikes are country/western and rap.

Probably my favorite song is Pink Floyd's Comfortably Numb.

creggur
09-04-2007, 15:58
When I saw Scott mention Pearl Jam it reminded me of this.

Soundgarden, and Alice In Chains.. Definately my favorite bands from the 90's. Chris Cornell's voice is just unbelievable, and I love Jerry Cantrell on guitar. Now if those two would get together, it would be a supergroup I would definately be interested in..

Bigg_Budd
09-04-2007, 16:20
Temple of the Dog = The Bomb

CompuDude
09-04-2007, 21:04
Trance is my main genre of choice.

Delirium, Enigma, Paul Van Dyk, older Paul Oakenfold, Tiesto... these are names that make me happy.

If I'm looking for something a little more driving and less relaxing, Juno Reactor is amazing... and the occasional Sublime even.

I also have a serious weakness for female vocals, so Sarah McLachlan, Tori Amos, Suzanne Vega, Loreena McKinnett and even the occasional Enya song can put a smile on my face, too.

Then, as a child of my generation, I'll always have a special place in my heart for Depeche Mode, and even Madonna, when you want to go Pop.

Truly, though, I can listen relatively happily to almost all genres, although I am very selective about which rap I'll listen to... and my tolerance for country music is nearly zilch.

Illini_Fan
09-04-2007, 21:11
[quote=CompuDude;44658]

I also have a serious weakness for female vocals, so Sarah McLachlan, Tori Amos, Suzanne Vega, Loreena McKinnett and even the occasional Enya song can put a smile on my face, too.

[quote]

I have at least one CD from all of those (except Vega). I think I have all but one of Tori's albums -- good stuff

loudgonzo
09-05-2007, 07:59
From the classics- the old stuff from Metallica, G&R, Aerosmith, and all the stuff from Led Zep, AC/DC

From the female vocalist's- Tori Amos, Sade, Enya, Jewel

From spanish rock- Heroes del Silencio, Soda Stereo, El Tri

From rap and hip hop- 2Pac, Wu-tang, Snoop Dogg

From country- nothing

While in the car- all the kiddie songs while my son is riding with me, I never get tired of these!!

divingmedic
09-05-2007, 23:46
Take Five by Dave Brubeck is what gets me up and going.

mpd525
09-06-2007, 00:00
Old Country when drinking beer, Jerry Reed, John conlee, George, hank, Waylon, all the normals. and a little Dierks Bentley he's a dirt-roader from way back.

Metal-Everthing from sabbath, to ozzy new and old, zepp.

And i Love metal "core"(stupid journalist name for metal) Killswitch, unearth, Shadows Fall, Hatebreed, Bury your dead, Dryline, Norma Jean, I love that stuff when i'm at work or in a really bad mood. Makes me either calm down, or want to beat the breaks off somebody.

Not a fan of Rap at all, it's the same beat for a whole 4 minute song, i just don't see the talent in it. And pop music is goofy.

kingfish
09-06-2007, 06:13
Yeh im a bit of a headbanger....do like pretty much any music but the old heavy metal does it for me.

Jas.

TxScubaBear
09-06-2007, 06:45
Trance is my main genre of choice.

Delirium, Enigma, Paul Van Dyk, older Paul Oakenfold, Tiesto... these are names that make me happy.

If I'm looking for something a little more driving and less relaxing, Juno Reactor is amazing... and the occasional Sublime even.

What he said....exactly....plus a little Pink Floyd when I really need to concentrate on something

Scubablue2
09-10-2007, 03:13
All of it! I just love music....Jazz,Rock,Classical,Metal,R&B, Electronica,Oldies,Reggae.....